So is Chael Sonnen fighting Paulo Filho or Nissen Osterneck in his next fight? No definitive answer as of right now except we know he’ll be fighting in March either way.
Last week we reported that World Extreme Cagefighting had offered Osterneck a fight against Sonnen within a package that included a multi-fight deal with the promotion. At the time, Osterneck had not yet made a decision but a new report from Brazilian website Tatame says different.
According to the report, WEC middleweight champion Paulo Filho has accepted a rematch proposed by Sonnen.
The fight will also likely be Filho’s last at 185 lbs according to boxing coach Josuel Distak, who says that Filho has opted to move up in weight due to cutting problems.
“Last fight, Paulo was having a lot of weight problems, that’s why he wasn’t well,” said Distak. “Sonnen asked for a rematch and we accepted. This will be Paulo’s final fight at middleweight. After this, he’ll be moving up to light heavyweight.”
While it might seem crazy that Filho is moving up in weight, he might be a good career move for the near future if he really is indeed having problems making 185 lbs. The WEC’s light heavyweight division is very stacked talent-wise and even though Filho would be still be undersized for the weight class, he would most likely tear through guys like Marshall, Gandulla, and Stann.
WEC Middleweight Champion Paulo Filho trains in his native Brazil in this video for his upcoming title defense tomorrow night against Chael Sonnen. Filho also talks with former PRIDE star Ricardo Arona who shows off what looks like a recent stab wound from a possible fight.
Kevin Iole of Yahoo! Sports is reporting that Paulo Filho will defend his WEC middleweight title on Dec. 12 against UFC veteran Chael Sonnen.
“Chael matches well with Paulo Filho, who is a tough guy for us to get opponents for,” Adams said. “He was a Division I wrestler and he finished high in the Olympic Trials and I think he matches very, very well with Paulo. He’s got a lot of wins against a lot of top guys, but this is really his kind of breakthrough chance, which I believe he realizes.”
Paulo Filho (15-0) is a veteran of PRIDE who holds victories over Kazuo Misaki, Ryo Chonan, Amar Suloev, and Murilo Rua. Filho captured the WEC middleweight title in August when he TKO’d UFC veteran Joe Doerksen at WEC 29.
Chael Sonnen (19-8-1) is a member of Team Quest who is currently on a five-fight winning streak with victories over Kyacey Uscola, Amar Suloev, Tim McKenzie, Alexey Oleinik, and Timothy Credeur.
LAS VEGAS - With three world titles on the line as well as the return of a true mixed martial arts legend, the World Extreme Cagefighting event on Wednesday, December 12th is not only the biggest and best WEC show of the year, it may be the greatest card in the six year history of the organization.
Featuring WEC Featherweight Champion “The California Kid” Urjiah Faber against Jeff “Big Frog” Curran, “The Rhino” Doug Marshall defending his Light Heavyweight title against Cuba’s own Ariel Gandulla, Paulo Filho returning to the Cage to defend his WEC Middleweight crown, and former UFC Lightweight Champion Jens “Lil’ Evil” Pulver making his WEC debut at 145 lbs. against rising star Cub Swanson, the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas will be rocked off its foundations by the most explosive MMA action of 2007.
WEC: Faber vs. Curran will be televised live nationally on VERSUS beginning at 9:00 pm ET/6:00 pm PT.
Frank Trigg has stated that he has not been offered a bout against WEC Middleweight Champion Paulo Filho on December 12th in Las Vegas once again.
He originally revealed that he had not received any contract offers from the WEC on his radio show earlier this month. Now Trigg has told The Fight Network that he had learned Filho had been given a bout agreement with Trigg as his opponent but has not received any kind of contact from the WEC at all.
An article about Filho’s move to Team Link by Jason Remillard of The Springfield Republican last week stated that Filho would be making his first title defense against Trigg.
Trigg has also said that he is willing to fight Filho in December if contacted by the WEC.
Jason Remillard of The Springfield Republican is reporting that Paulo Filho will make the first defense of his WEC Middleweight Title against Frank Trigg at WEC 31 on December 12th:
Filho is a world-class fighter with a 15-0 professional record. He has fought all over the world, including the now-defunct Pride Fighting Championships in Japan. Filho recently defeated Joe Doerksen for the WEC middleweight title and will make his first defense Dec. 12 in Las Vegas against Frank “Twinkletoes” Trigg.
Filho will arrive in Ludlow Nov. 1 to begin the final phase of his training for this fight against a very tough opponent. Trigg has held his own against many of the big names in the UFC, such as former welterweight champions Matt Hughes and Georges St. Pierre.
The statement comes in an article where Remillard announces that both Filho and Thiago Silva have joined Team Link, the same training team that sports UFC heavyweight contender Gabriel Gonzaga.
Trigg has stated in the past on his daily radio show that the fight was only being discussed and nothing was signed. However Trigg also noted that anything could change at a moments notice.
News and Notes
- Remember that you can always donate directly to the Ryan Bennett Memorial Fund through this link.
- Evan Tanner is looking for sponsors for his friend Ian Dawe who will be fighting at a couple of upcoming shows later this year, including King of the Cage. Contact him here for information.
- Kalib Starnes posted the real story behind his controversial cut suffered during his bout against Alan Belcher this past weekend at UFC 77 in Sherdog’s forums:
I got hit with an elbow early in the first round. In the second round the ref stopped the action so the doctor could look at the cut. The doctor said “How is your vision?” I said “There’s blood in my eye.” Yves Lavigne said, “If you say you can’t see he’ll stop the fight.” I said, “I can see, there’s no problem, I want to fight.” The doctor spread the cut open with his thumbs and said “I can see his skull, I’m stopping it.” I said “I want to continue” and looked at my cornerman.
My cornerman was staring at my cut and yelling “Why are you stopping the fight?”, “What are you doing?” His comments were directed at the referee, but because he was staring at me, I was confused. That is why I became so angry, because I did not quit, and I thought that he was accusing me of quitting. We sorted things out afterwards. That’s something that bothers me a lot after Ken Shamrock said that I was not injured on that show when I had a serious injury. I still take a lot of heat for that son of a bitches ignorant comments.
- Paulo Filho and Thiago Silva have both joined Team Link.
- MMA News interviewed Brock Lesnar over the weekend who apparently already knows when and who he is fighting in his UFC debut.
- Sam Caplan is reporting that Shad Lierley has signed a deal with the IFL that will keep him in the promotion through 2008.
- 411 Mania makes note that Sean Salmon will serve as the injury replacement for the fighters competing in Strikeforce’s middleweight tournament in November.
Earlier today, Sam Caplan made a post on Five Ounces of Pain stating that Frank Trigg’s radio show co-host, George Garcia, had responded to a post made on MMA Weekly’s message forums and somewhat validated the rumor that Trigg was set to fight current WEC Middleweight Champion Paulo Filho in December.
Trigg responded to the rumors this afternoon on Tagg Radio. Here’s what we now know.
Nothing is signed as of yet. Trigg and his manager have been contacted by Zuffa concerning a possible fight at the end of the year. Trigg has not seen any form of a contract. In fact he went on to elaborate how things may change completely in a matter of hours.
“I haven’t signed anything at all,” said Trigg. “I haven’t seen a contract and I won’t until everything is finalized and the only thing I have to do is sign my name and fax the contract back to Zuffa. My manager, Rico Chiapparelli, deals with everything else.”
“The way Zuffa’s accounting system works these days is that things can be done in a matter of hours”, stated Trigg. “The contracts they send out don’t really take a lot of time to make. There aren’t many details that need to be worked out. I’m saying that right now nothing is happening but things could completely change by this afternoon or later tonight.”
Trigg and Filho would make for a very interesting fight. In my opinion, Trigg would be Filho’s toughest test to date. If I was Trigg, I’d try to keep the fight standing the entire time. It’s not that Trigg’s wrestling isn’t good enough to keep him out of submissions, because it certainly is. However as we saw in Filho’s last fight against Joe Doerksen, his striking isn’t impressive at all, even if the sloppy punches happened to stop Doerksen.
Sherdog.com is reporting that WEC middleweight champion Paulo Filho has joined Team Link.
Paulo Filho was originally a member of Brazilian Top Team training with the likes of the Nogueira brothers, Murilo Bustamante, Mario Sperry, and Roan Carneiro. Filho is now joining UFC heavyweight contender Gabriel Gonzaga at Team Link in Ludlow, Mass.
“Now I am part of the team of my friend Marco Alvan, which is also where Gabriel ‘Napão’ trains,” Filho said. “I was there to give seminars and liked the structure a lot. I felt a great affinity with them … and now I am Team Link. I fight for Team Link from now on.”
“The trainers are extremely good,” he said. “The athletes there are cardio machines. The academy is giant, has boxing bags, has an Octagon, has a ring and has everything there. And the city is very calm, is very good for training because it does not have anything distracting. A lot of green, some very clean lakes and even a hydroponic market—those foods without agrotoxics. It’s a very good city for an athlete to live.”
According to the article, Filho’s next WEC appearance will come Dec. 12 in a non-title bout against a to-be-named opponent.
News and Notes
- MMAWeekly is reporting that Rich Clementi vs. Anthony Johnson has been added to UFC 76: Knockout.
- In a recent interview with Tatame, WEC middleweight champion Paulo Filho stated that he’d like to fight at both light heavyweight and heavyweight.
I have to do three more fights on my contract, so I want to all being for the title. I met the WEC 93kg title holder and I find him very sassy, cocky, very stupid, so I want to challenge him. After that I want to fight against a heavyweight too. In fact, with we’re going to play, let’s play nicely. I always was against advertising, against marketing, but I know what I can do. Let’s play a little and have some fun.
- UFC light heavyweight champion Randy “The Natural” Couture will be featured on an upcoming installement of A&E’s Biography.
- Today at 6 PM MMA legend Royce Gracie will be up front on TSN’s Off The Record.
- The Fight Network is reporting that the UFC is currently in negotiations with both Hayato Sakurai and Hector Lombard as possible opponents for Karo “The Heat” Parisyan at UFC 77: Hostile Territory.
CBS Sports: Extreme Q&A with EliteXC’s Nick Diaz
Q: Is fighting Gomi again something that has appeal to you?
ND: Sure, why not, dude? I’ll fight anybody. If they want to pay me a lot of money we can pump that fight up and that fight will be bigger than other fights. I want a big fight. You know, I’m getting older. I’m not as young as I used to be. I was like 17, 18, or 19 the first time I fought in the UFC. And they won’t let me fight and make the money I want to make. I put out the effort and my bank account looks like s—- right now. And what if I want to start a family one day or something like that? I’m not looking at that now, but I’ve made it into that safe area where I’m not like getting chicks pregnant and I don’t have that kind of thing to worry about now. But now it’s kind of like what if I want to do something like that (start a family) one day?