Patrick Cote weighs-in for UFC Fight Night 12. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
A slew of signed and proposed fights for the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s planned July 5th UFC 86 event in Las Vegas have come to light this week.
Quinton “Rampage” Jackson will defend his UFC light heavyweight title against top contender Forrest Griffin at the event. The two fighters will serve as coaches for the upcoming seventh season of “The Ultimate Fighter”.
American Top Team has confirmed via it’s official website that four of their fighters will be competing at UFC 86: Gleison Tibau, Cole Miller, Steve Bruno, and Ben Saunders. The only fighter with a potential opponent as of right now is Tibau. MMA Mania reports that a bout between him and former title contender Joe Stevenson will likely take place at the show.
A lightweight affair between Corey Hill and Justin Buccholz also seems to be in the works. Patrick Cote will return to action at the event as well against Ricardo Almeida according to The Fight Network.
According to Cote, he wants a fight that will potentially put him in title contention in the near future. A showdown with Almeida just might do that.
“We wanted a big fight,” Cote said in the report. “I have four wins in a row, three in the UFC, and I think I’m ready for a real tough opponent. I want to fight a guy who, if I win, the UFC will put me in a title fight or one more fight before I get my shot.”
A wealth of news and events have developed over the four days that we were sidelined due to those damn server gremlins. Here’s a little recap of everything that has gone on since then. The majority of the news is displayed after the jump.
Frye-Taktarov Booked for YAMMA Pit Fighting
Longtime mixed martial arts veterans Don Frye and Oleg Taktarov will headline the main event at YAMMA Pit Fighting’s inaugural show, which is slated to take place at the Trump Taj Mahal in Atlantic City, NJ on April 11th.
Frye revealed the news during his weekly appearance on TAGG Radio.
“I hope (YAMMA) made the announcement because I just signed to fight Oleg Taktarov,” Frye said.
Quote courtesy of MMA Junkie.
EliteXC Reveals Complete Card for “Street Certified”
Elite Xtreme Combat has announced the complete card for their upcoming “Street Certified” event, which will take place this Saturday night at the University of Miami’s BankUnited Center. The event will be airing on Showtime.
The full card is below:
Tank Abbott vs. Kimbo Slice
Ricco Rodriguez vs. Antonio Silva
Kyle Noke vs. Scott Smith
Yves Edwards vs. Edson Berto
Brett Roges vs. James Thompson
Rafael Feijao vs. John Doyle
Jon Kirk vs. Yosmany Cabezas
Dave Herman vs. Mario Rinaldi
Eric Bradley vs. Mikey Gomez
Mike Berhard vs. Lorenzo Borgameo
Alan Belcher weighs-in for UFC 77: Hostile Territory. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
Rising middleweight Alan Belcher will likely return to action as he will take on white-hot Canadian Patrick Cote when the UFC ventures into Canada for the first time in history for UFC 83 on April 19th at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec.
Belcher confirmed the fight with MMA Junkie earlier today, stating that he had formally accepted the proposed bout.
The Biloxi, Mississippi native, who recently signed a new four-fight deal with the promotion, was originally scheduled to take on Ricardo Almeida this past weekend at UFC 81: Breaking Point but was forced to pull out of the bout after coming down with a severe case of bronchitis.
Belcher shook off a 1-2 start in the UFC and racked up impressive victories over Sean Salmon and Kalib Starnes in consecutive fights earlier last year.
Those that were expecting Cote to be a color commentator at the event received a pleasant surprise when UFC President Dana White announced that “The Predator” would be on the card as well, going up against an opponent yet to be announced.
Cote is coming off an impressive TKO win over fellow heavy-handed striker Drew McFedries at UFC Fight Night 12 last month. After losing his first four fights inside the confines of the UFC, Cote has gone on to win three straight fights and has established himself as one of the top middleweights in the division.
Georges St. Pierre and Matt Serra square off at the weigh-ins for UFC 69: Shootout. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
After years of waiting, the Ultimate Fighting Championship finally made their first trek up to Canada official when they announced UFC 83: St. Pierre vs Serra II during a press conference earlier today at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec, Canada earlier this morning.
In attendance at the press conference were UFC President Dana White and current welterweight champions Georges St. Pierre and Matt Serra who will unify their belts in a main event rematch of their fight at UFC 69: Shootout last year, where Serra stopped St. Pierre with strikes to win the UFC welterweight title.
“I’m actually excited to go to Canada and fight St-Pierre in his hometown,” Serra said at the press conference earlier today. “I think this puts more pressure on him than it does me. I know he’s going to come at me hard, but I’m ready for that and I’m preparing for a great fight. I know that’s what I would do if a guy knocked me out like that. But I plan on staying the champ and taking my belt back home to Long Island.”
St. Pierre, a native of Montreal, will be fighting in front of his hometown under the UFC banner for the first time in his career. After originally speculating that St. Pierre would not be ready in time for the event due to his bout against Matt Hughes in December, St. Pierre came away with the interim welterweight belt relatively unscathed, allowing him to partake in the historic event.
“I am at the same point as I was last year when I fought Matt Serra, except this time I am fighting as the contender not the champion,” said St-Pierre. “It’s a dream come true to have this historic UFC event in Canada, I’ve waited my whole life for this opportunity, and especially fighting for – and winning – the world title in front of my people.”
Some news and notes for you this morning…
Cote Expected to Color Commentate at UFC 84
Bad news for all of those Canadians that were eagerly hoping that Patrick Cote would be fighting on the UFC 84 card in Canada, but fun news nonetheless.
In a post-fight interview with The Fight Network, Cote revealed that the UFC has asked him to be the color commentator for the UFC’s French broadcast of the event:
“To be honest, [the UFC] wants me to do the French commentating for that show, so I don’t know if I’ll be fighting on it,” Cote told The Fight Network. “That’s okay; I’ll get to be the French Joe Rogan and do the play-by-play.”
LaRosa, Imes Returning to Action
Speaking of The Fight Network again, they’ve got the scoop on future bouts involving BodogFight women’s champ Tara LaRosa and Mr. Gogoplata himself, Brad Imes.
According to LaRosa herself, she will be defending her belt against Molly Helsel at a BodogFight-sponsored Hook-N-Shoot event on Saturday, March 29 at the Evansville Coliseum in Evansville, Indiana. This is the same location where Eddie Alvarez and Matt Lee were set to rematch before the event was scrapped.
Imes will face off against Matt Thompson for the International Fighting Council US heavyweight championship at an IFC event on February 23rd.
Jason MacDonald submits Joe Doerksen with a rear naked choke at UCW 3. Photo courtesy of Team MacDonald.
Middleweights Jason MacDonald and Joe Doerksen may fight each other for the second time when the UFC ventures into Canada for the first time in history on April 19th.
The news comes from a report by RDS which quotes TKO President Stephane Patry stating that the fight will happen. We haven’t been able to confirm the fight with MacDonald or our partner site, Rogers Sportsnet as of yet.
MacDonald and Doerksen met before in the main event of UCW 3: Caged Inferno in October 2005. The two went back and forth over four rounds before MacDonald was finally able to submit Doerksen with a rear naked choke with only 23 seconds left in the round.
Since then they have each gone on to win seven more bouts each. Doerksen failed at an opporunity to win the WEC middleweight belt when he was stopped by Paulo Filho this past summer and was then upset by Ed Herman at UFC 78. MacDonald is coming off a unanimous decision loss to Yushin Okami at UFC 77.
Patry also stated in the article that Patrick Cote and Sam Stout will most likely fight at the event as well pending the outcome of their upcoming fights.
Touch of gloves to our friends at MMA Junkie for the find.
Update 5:30 PM: The Fight Network has confirmed the fight with Joe Doerksen. Thanks to reader “mmaanalyst” for the heads-up.
After watching UFC 79 and hearing all of the discussion about how Matt Hughes and Matt Serra were originally supposed to fight but Serra pulled out with an injury, I got to thinking. It wasn’t the first time that a situation like that occurred.
So I sat down and did some research. There were actually a good number of fights in the UFC that were signed and slated to happen but ended up not taking place for one reason or another. The final number was a lot higher than I expected so I went ahead and narrowed the list down to the fights that would have been the best if they were to happen at the time.
So here they are. I’ve sorted them starting with the most recent and excluding Hughes-Serra. Each instance is pretty interesting.
Evan Tanner vs Jeremy Horn (UFC 59): The two long-time MMA veterans were set to clash at UFC 59 in what was unofficially an “elimination” bout for the two of them. Horn had split his two return bouts in the UFC while Tanner had lost two straight, including his middleweight title. The bout would have been an interesting chess match between two slick grapplers but Horn ended up pulling out after injuring his back during training. Justin Levens replaced Horn and Tanner went on to submit Levens in the first round of their bout. Horn was released shortly after defeating Chael Sonnen at UFC 60.
Matt Hughes vs Karo Parisyan (UFC 56): After losing to Georges St. Pierre at UFC 46, Parisyan went ahead and racked up three straight wins over Nick Diaz, Chris Lytle, and Matt Serra to earn a title shot against then-champion Matt Hughes. The anticipated welterweight showdown was set to headline the event until Parisyan was forced to pull out of the fight after suffering an elbow injury during training. Joe Riggs stepped in for Parisyan and ended up failing to make weight, costing him his shot at the title. Hughes would go on to submit Riggs in a non-title bout and wouldn’t defend his belt again until UFC 63, making it over a full year since the welterweight title was contested. To this day, Parisyan is still yearning for another shot at the title.
Happy Thanksgiving bitches! Sorry for the lateness but here’s a roundup of today’s news…
- Cage Rage has announced that U.K. native Jordan Miller will replace an injured Brad Pickett against Ronnie Mann at Cage Rage 24: Feel the Pain on December 1st.
Pickett was forced to pull out of the bout after breaking his arm during training.
- Yahoo! Sports has added a new MMA videos section.
- The UFC has officially announced four additional bouts for The Ultimate Fighter 6 Finale, which is set to take place at The Pearl Theatre in Las Vegas, Nevada on December 8th:
Jared Rollins vs. Jon Koppenhaver
Troy Mandaloniz vs. Richie Hightower
Roman Mitichyan vs. Dorian Price
Paul Georgieff vs. Jonathan Goulet
- MMA Junkie is reporting that Drew McFedries will return to the Octagon against Patrick Cote according to a Facebook bulletin posted by Cote himself. Dann Stupp and company are also reporting that American Kickboxing Academy’s Josh Koscheck and Jon Fitch will most likely be back in action at UFC 82 in March.
- The California State Athletic Commission has announced that Bryson Kamaka has tested positive for marijuana following post-fight tests for Strikeforce: Four Men Enter, One Man Survives last weekend. Kamaka has been suspended for three months and fined $500.
News and Notes
- Kevin Iole of Yahoo! Sports has a direct quote from UFC President Dana White where White states he is working on an immediate rematch between Michael Bisping and Matt Hamill:
And, while they’re at it, the UFC honchos should mandate a rematch between Bisping and Hamill.
White said the rematch is “a no-brainer and I’m going to be on it right away.”
Having them fight again in a place where an official athletic commission will oversee the affairs is the only way to remove the stench surrounding UFC 75.
However FOX Sports is reporting that Bisping will most likely drop down to the middleweight division. I’m not so sure that Hamill could make 185 lbs.
- Staying with the quotes, it seems that Patrick Cote wants both Chris Leben and Terry Martin and would like to face the winner of their bout in December:
“I just want to prove to everybody that I was robbed last time [against Leben],” says Cote. “I will not leave the fight in the judge’s hands next time.”
“I just don’t like Martin,” says Cote. “He has a big mouth. Terry Martin has said he’s the next big thing at 185 and that he will be champion. He thinks he has heavy hands because he knocked out Jorge Rivera. But if you watch that fight, you see Rivera was already off balance and he caught him. He’s a one-dimensional fighter. He doesn’t shoot for the leg; he tries to trap you against the cage. I can use my reach against him, and I have good footwork and hands. It will be a long night for him if he wants to try and trap me against the cage.”
- The Ryan Bennett Memorial Fund is auctioning off Randy Couture’s autographed gloves from UFC 74. Bidding ends on Thursday.
- MMA Weekly is reporting that Fabio Silva will take on Melvin Manhoef at the September 17th K-1 Hero’s event.
- The British Medical Association is attempting to ban MMA in the country of England. Apparently it’s nothing to worry about as the BMA has also been trying to ban boxing since 1982. That obviously hasn’t worked.
- Mirko Cro Cop has told Croatian reporters that he suffered a broken rib in the first round of his recent loss to Cheick Kongo over the weekend.
- Zach Arnold has found that Hidehiko Yoshida may be appearing at K-1’s annual Dynamite show on New Year’s Eve. Now the big question: Will he fight or just be a guest?
Sankei Sports is reporting that Hidehiko Yoshida is considering an offer to appear at the K-1 Dynamite New Year’s Eve event. Yoshida was quoted as saying that he wanted to fight before the end of the year and that he is leaving any future career decisions to the J-ROCK office to determine. J-ROCK’s stance is that if PRIDE is dead, then Yoshida should be a free agent.
News and Notes
- Everyone and their mom is reporting that talks between Fedor and the UFC didn’t go so well:
Sherdog: Fedor Reps Say Long Way to Go on Deal with UFC
MMA Weekly: Fedor Still Has Not Signed to Fight
CBS Sportsline: White says Emelianenko meeting ‘didn’t go well’
Five Ounces of Pain: Rumor Killer: Fedor not close to signing with the UFC
Only a couple of links but you get the picture…
- The Fight Network is reporting that Randy Couture’s broken arm is healing well:
X-rays taken on the broken left arm of UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture Friday showed that the 44-year-old’s bone is aligning properly and healing as anticipated.
Doctors informed Couture (16-8) that he had suffered the break during his TKO stoppage of Brazilian Gabriel Gonzaga at UFC 74 “Respect” Aug. 25 in Las Vegas, Nev. He sustained the injury blocking a right high kick with his left forearm in the opening seconds of the third round. The kick cleanly separated the ulna bone with a “nightstick fracture,” a break common in law enforcement circles. Couture’s arm will likely remain in a splint for at least five more weeks.
- UFC Junkie has found out through Dave Meltzer of Wrestling Observer that the UFC issued $35,000 bonuses for those fighters that won the UFC’s usual post-fight awards.
Fight of the Night - Randy Couture vs Gabriel Gonzaga
Knockout of the Night - Patrick Cote
Submission of the Night - Thales Leites
- The Sun Herald of Southern Mississippi is reporting that Alan Belcher has signed a new four-fight deal with the UFC:
Alan “the Talent” Belcher of Biloxi just signed another four- fight contract with the UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship). His overall record is 10-3, two of which went to a decision). He has had four fights in the UFC within the last year.
- The legal dispute between Brandon Vera and his former manager Mark Dion will finally be settled by an arbiter for the CSAC on September 17th.
- Former UFC Middleweight Champion Rich Franklin has landed a role as host of a new TV series titled “American Fighter”:
Ultimate fighter Rich Franklin wants to bust out of the ring. The three-time Ultimate Fighting Championship title winner from West Chester Township has shot a half-hour pilot for a TV series, “American Fighter.”
Franklin, 32, a former Oak Hills High School math teacher, will tell inspirational stories about people fighting against the odds, says J.T. Stewart, his publicist. The pilot features Joe Garvey, 21, of Bright, Ind., learning to walk after a crippling ATV accident seven years ago.
I wonder if there is any connection between the show and Franklin’s sponsor of the same name…
MMA Weekly: MMAD Libs II: Writing an MMA Hatchet Piece
Fight Opinion: Sunday media slate: Rizzo remains on his winning ways
UFC: Michael Bisping: England Expects