K.J. Noons discusses his upcoming championship bout against Nick Diaz at EliteXC: Renegade this Saturday. Noons also talks about a potential clash of styles and why he considers Diaz the best lightweight in the world today.
The California State Athletic Commission released the official fight card for No Limit Fighting’s “Brawl For It All” this Saturday at the Cow Palace in San Francisco earlier today. The release came at the hands of numerous complaints from various fans and officials that the promotion was falsely advertising fighters to be participating on the card.
We reported that Nick Diaz had no knowledge of a scheduled fight against Mark Moreno at the event earlier this month.
Here the official card according to the CSAC:
Vince Lucero vs. Cain Velasquez
Alex Serdyukov vs. Mark Moreno
Ruben Villarreal vs. Brad Imes
Jake Hattan vs. Charles Bennett
Matt Major vs. Marcus Gaines
Kyle Rideau vs. Khomkrit Niimi
Bo Cantrell vs. Bryan Pardoe
Gabe Rivas vs. Gabe Ruediger
Van Oscar Penvaroff vs. Eric Jacob
Shawn Klarcyk vs. Ed Lavelle
Arron Carvalo vs. Andrew Martinez
Chris David vs. Michael Pedro
The list of fighters that No Limit Fighting’s originally advertised as participating and are now not listed are as follows: Jeff Monson, Nick Diaz, Chris Marez, Mia St. John, Javier Vazquez, Leland Chapman, and Antonio McKee among others.
A little ridiculous if you ask me. Let’s hope it’s the last promotion run by these idiots, who I’ve heard includes Shannon Ritch as one of the promoters. Not a surprise if that is true.
Brian Knapp of The Fight Network is reporting through Pro Elite that Nick Diaz and K.J. Noons will clash in a battle for EliteXC’s 160 lb title on November 10th.
Word of the fight comes less than 24 hours after EliteXC had announced that they had signed Diaz to an exclusive two-year contract extension.
Diaz came off of a six month suspension for testing positive for marijuana to earn a lackluster split decision over Mike Aina at EliteXC: Uprising last month. Noons made his EliteXC in February where he was knocked out by Charles “Krazy Horse” Bennett. Noons returned to the cage in July at the inaugural ShoXC event, stopping James Edson Berto with a knee to the head in the third round.
Sherdog is reporting that Nick Diaz has signed an exclusive contract extension with EliteXC, adding two years to his current deal with the promotion.
As part of the new deal, Diaz will fight as part of EliteXC’s next event on November 10th. His bout will be for the 160 lb title. His opponent has not yet been announced.
The new deal will finally pay Diaz what he is worth according to Diaz’s trainer, Cesar Gracie:
“It’s a lot more than he was making before obviously and it’s a lot closer to what he’s worth,” Gracie told Sherdog.com. “People want to see him fight. Showtime stepped up and met the financial commitments.”
Diaz is also apparently guaranteed 3-5 fights a year under the new contract as well.
Last week we reported that Nick Diaz denied having any knowledge of a scheduled bout against Mark Moreno at No Limit Fighting’s Brawl for it All event on October 20th.
Phil Flahters has now confirmed that Nick Diaz is off the card and his replacement will be UFC veteran Dennis Hallman.
Dennis “Superman” Hallman sports a MMA record of 37-12-2. Hallman holds victories over the likes of former UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes, Rory Singer, Delson Heleno, and Ross Ebanez.
Nick Diaz was interviewed by Sherdog columnist Jordan Breen during his weekly radio show earlier today and denied having any knowledge of a scheduled bout against Mark Moreno at No Limit Fighting’s Brawl for it All event on October 20th.
This is the infamous event at The Cow Palace that got Antonio McKee released from the IFL.
NLF is currently displaying this poster on it’s official website with a number of notable fighters said to be fighting on the card:
I wonder if any of these other fighters know they are fighting. We’ll continue to follow this story…
I only wish to be as cool as the Hammer House..
News and Notes
- The Fight Network is reporting that UFC veteran Drew Fickett has been added to the inaugural HDNetFights card on October 13th and will take on Anthony Lapsley. Lapsley was originally scheduled to face T.J. Waldburger. No word on why Waldburger is no longer set to compete at the event.
- If you haven’t already, don’t forget to place a bid on the shorts that UFC Heavyweight Champion Randy Couture wore while defeating Gabriel Gonzaga at UFC 74. The shorts are also autographed and are being auctioned off as part of the Ryan Bennett Memorial Fund.
- MMA Junkie is reporting via Brazilian website RPC that Mauricio “Shogun” Rua fought against Forrest Griffin at UFC 76 with a torn ligament in his knee and will be out of action until early next year. MMA Junkie also pointed out at that no mention of the injury was made by the CSAC after a post-fight examination of Rua.
- We already know that MMA is banned in Vancouver, but so is MMA-related clothing too apparently.
- Sam Caplan has received word via Gilbert Melendez that Nick Diaz has been released from the hospital after receiving treatment for a staph infection and is currently recovering at his home in Stockton, CA.
- UFC Daily has learned that Heath Herring will be returning to the Octagon early next year according to manager Dean Albrecht:
UFC heavyweight Heath Herring will likely to return to the octagon in early 2008 according to his manager, Dean Albrecht, who confirmed the news with UFC Daily earlier today. According to Albrecht, Herring is taking some time off from fighting while continuing to train for his UFC return.
No definite plans have been established for Herring though there are several rumored UFC events in January and February which could host his return to the octagon from the extended break.
The Rock talks MMA:
“Well, I think that there is still great boxing out there, and there are fights coming up that I look forward to seeing. But mixed martial arts is just phenomenal. It is so hot, and it’s clear to me why it’s so popular. I have a ton of love and respect for those guys. I’ve become friends with a bunch of those guys and they have my support. I think mixed martial arts requires an amazing athleticism, and those guys must put together a strategy and a game plan every single time they go out and fight because it’s not one-dimensional, it’s not so predictable. On any given day, the greatest can go down. I think it’s really exciting to see the success that MMA is having right now. Everything that that sport provides and all the attention that people are diverting to that entity right now is well-deserved, and it’s—well, it’s a big deal and I’m excited about it.”
- Darren Rovell of CNBC ranks UFC President Dana White 80th out of 100
sports executives in terms of power.
Touch of gloves to Fight Opinion for that find.
- Speaking of Fight Opinion, Zack Arnold is wondering how the Japanese media is going to cover Kazuhiro Nakamura positive drug test.
- Ryan from Fightlinker is impressed with how well UFC 76 did compared to UFC 59 in California.
GracieFighter.com is reporting that Nick Diaz has been hospitalized in Las Vegas with a severe staph infection. According to the article, Diaz contacted the virus a few days before his fight at EliteXC and was admitted to the hospital when he arrived in Las Vegas to watch his brother fight.
“I felt pretty crappy in my match in Hawaii but I figured it was jet lag or maybe something I had eaten the night before. When I left Hawaii the next day I was getting chills and had to be covered with several blankets on the plane but I just kept having cold sweats. By the time I got to Vegas the infection had ballooned up and so I went to the hospital to have it checked out. They admitted me and I’ve been here ever since”.
Diaz last competed at EliteXC: Uprising in Honolulu, Hawaii where he fought and defeated Mike Aina by split decision.
Showtime previews Nick Diaz’s scheduled return to action after a six month layoff against BJ Penn-trained Mike Aina at EliteXC: Uprising tomorrow night at 10 PM EST.
News and Notes
- MMAWeekly is reporting that Rich Clementi vs. Anthony Johnson has been added to UFC 76: Knockout.
- In a recent interview with Tatame, WEC middleweight champion Paulo Filho stated that he’d like to fight at both light heavyweight and heavyweight.
I have to do three more fights on my contract, so I want to all being for the title. I met the WEC 93kg title holder and I find him very sassy, cocky, very stupid, so I want to challenge him. After that I want to fight against a heavyweight too. In fact, with we’re going to play, let’s play nicely. I always was against advertising, against marketing, but I know what I can do. Let’s play a little and have some fun.
- UFC light heavyweight champion Randy “The Natural” Couture will be featured on an upcoming installement of A&E’s Biography.
- Today at 6 PM MMA legend Royce Gracie will be up front on TSN’s Off The Record.
- The Fight Network is reporting that the UFC is currently in negotiations with both Hayato Sakurai and Hector Lombard as possible opponents for Karo “The Heat” Parisyan at UFC 77: Hostile Territory.
CBS Sports: Extreme Q&A with EliteXC’s Nick Diaz
Q: Is fighting Gomi again something that has appeal to you?
ND: Sure, why not, dude? I’ll fight anybody. If they want to pay me a lot of money we can pump that fight up and that fight will be bigger than other fights. I want a big fight. You know, I’m getting older. I’m not as young as I used to be. I was like 17, 18, or 19 the first time I fought in the UFC. And they won’t let me fight and make the money I want to make. I put out the effort and my bank account looks like s—- right now. And what if I want to start a family one day or something like that? I’m not looking at that now, but I’ve made it into that safe area where I’m not like getting chicks pregnant and I don’t have that kind of thing to worry about now. But now it’s kind of like what if I want to do something like that (start a family) one day?