Nick Diaz

GSP vs. Diaz Next On Tap

Nick Diaz. Photo property of UFC.

It looks like a potential superfight between Anderson Silva and Georges St. Pierre will have to wait. Following the pre-fight press conference for UFC on Fox 5, Ariel Helwani tweeted, “Dana just said GSP told him I want Nick Diaz. Dana said that’s probably the fight we’ll make.”

Helwani continued, “Dana said GSP doesn’t ask for much, so he feels like he has to do it. Silva and Hendricks will have to wait. Dana hasn’t told Nick yet, but he is here.”

Johny Hendricks has been adamant about the fact that he will not fight unless it’s for a title shot. Following the reports of GSP-Diaz, Hendricks tweeted, “Yes I will sit out if I don’t get a title shot.”

Continue reading "GSP vs. Diaz Next On Tap"

The Daily Recap: Price Demands, Hendricks Staying Put & More

Georges St. Pierre. Photo property of UFC/Zuffa LLC.

Last week on MMA Fighting’s “The MMA Beat”, Mike Straka stated that he's heard through sources that Georges St. Pierre is requesting $50 million to fight Anderson Silva. Straka said, “I was told by somebody very close to Georges that Georges today makes close to $8 million a fight. So to fight Anderson Silva he’s going to ask for $50 million.”

St. Pierre, who is currently in Paris, France, joined 98.5 FM Sports and shot down the report saying it was not true.

Johny Hendricks recently told MMA Junkie Radio that he has no intentions of risking his status as the number one contender for the UFC welterweight title. Hendricks said, “I’m not going to fight unless it’s for a belt. Nothing else matters but the belt.”

It’ll be interesting to see how the UFC handles the current welterweight title picture. Will it be the lesser known yet more deserving Hendricks or the outspoken and brash Nick Diaz?

Continue reading "The Daily Recap: Price Demands, Hendricks Staying Put & More"

The Daily Recap: Back to England, Firas Wants Diaz & More

Nick Diaz. Photo property of UFC.

The UFC has announced that they’ll be returning to London, England on February 16, 2013 at the Wembley Arena. While no fights have been announced, it is being reported that the card will be UFC on Fuel TV 7.

It looks like Nick Diaz is getting consideration for a UFC welterweight shot again… At least by Tristar head trainer Firas Zahabi. Zahabi told MMA Junkie, "I think Diaz is the guy who deserves it most. His fight with Carlos (Condit) was so close. Who knows? People judge it both ways.”

Of course, Johny Hendricks is current front runner after he stopped Martin Kampmann at UFC 154. Diaz is still sidelined, serving the remainder of his suspension for testing positive for marijuana metabolites.

Continue reading "The Daily Recap: Back to England, Firas Wants Diaz & More"

Nick Diaz to Compete in BJJ Superfight While Debating MMA Future

Nick Diaz's future in mixed martial arts remains up in the air. His camp says that their fighter still hasn't made a decision yet regarding his place in the sport, and he still also has a hearing next month in the state of Nevada.

For now, Diaz is content to just grapple.

The World Jiu-Jitsu Expo and Cesar Gracie, Diaz's trainer and manager, have confirmed that Diaz will compete in a BJJ super-fight at the WJJE on May 12 in Long Beach, Calif.

According to Gracie, Diaz wanted to enter one of the WJJE's tournaments, however, Expo officials chose to have him only compete in a super-fight. No opponent has been signed just yet.

Diaz, a black belt under Gracie, hasn't competed in a BJJ match in two years. Gracie said the UFC, "usually doesn't want (Nick) competing (in BJJ) if it's near a fight, (but) he has no fight lined up."

Ross Goodman Says That Nick Diaz Didn’t Do Anything Wrong

Does the name Ross Goodman ring a bell? He was behind the short-lived resurrection of the WFA back in '06. He's also Nick Diaz's attorney heading into his hearing with the Nevada State Athletic Commission next month. 

Goodman also believes that his client has a case:

Sherdog.com: Whether or not carboxylic acid is a banned substance per the letter of the regulations, isn’t it still a trace element of marijuana and proof of use?

Goodman: Of course, it’s directly related from marijuana use, but the point is this: it’s not only Nevada, the World Anti-Doping Agency and most other regulatory bodies only prohibit the active ingredient of marijuana in-competition and not out-of-competition. So that’s an important distinction that I think everybody has to make, and, again, Nick Diaz didn’t test for marijuana, only marijuana metabolite and marijuana metabolite itself, it’s not prohibited, both in Nevada and by the world Anti-Doping Agency, which is the international organization that monitors and regulates sports competitions. Nick Diaz did not violate any rule by having an inactive metabolite in his post-fight urine test.

NSAC Temporarily Suspends Nick Diaz

Nick Diaz. Photo by Esther Lin/Strikeforce.

The Nevada State Athletic Commission has temporarily suspended UFC welterweight Nick Diaz for his positive test for marijuana following his unanimous decision defeat to Carlos Condit at UFC 143 on February 4.

Commission officials met today to levy a temporary ban on Diaz until after a disciplinary hearing this spring, most likely in April, at which then the NSAC will decide whether or not Diaz will face a one-year suspension for a second offense. Diaz also tested positive for marijuana following his upset of Takanori Gomi in February 2007. The fight was later ruled a no-contest and Diaz was fined and suspended for six months.

Diaz is currently registered as a medicinal marijuana user in the state of California. It is unknown whether or not that status could come into play at the disciplinary hearing nor whether or not the NSAC would be willing to grant him a future exemption because of it.

At the moment, Diaz's future in fighting is in limbo regardless of the commission's decision. The 28-year-old announced that he was finished with the sport moments after the decision on his fight with Condit was announced and members of his camp have said that they aren't sure whether or not Diaz will change his mind.

GSP Discusses Diaz-Condit, Rehab and Recovery

In a recent interview with Jon Anik on the UFC's "Ultimate Insider" show, welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre gives his thoughts on Carlos Condit's win over Nick Diaz for the interim title. He also discusses his rehab following surgery to repair his torn ACL, how he is feeling and what his recovery is like among other things.

UFC on FUEL Notebook: Ellenberger Seeking Condit Rematch, Future Main Events Now Five Rounds & More

Jake Ellenberger. Photo by Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC.

UFC President Dana White had a lot to say following a successful debut on FUEL TV on Wednesday night, but it was welterweight contender Jake Ellenberger that finally broke out of his shell and suggested a rematch with interim champion Carlos Condit while Georges St. Pierre heals at last night's post-fight press conference.

Ellenberger was asked about the possibility of a second fight with Condit following his unanimous decision win over Diego Sanchez last night in a post-fight interview with Jon Anik. However, the Omaha native didn't say much, stating that he was unsure what was next.

The 26-year-old took on Condit in his UFC debut back in September 2009, dropping a razor-close split decision that saw Ellenberger nearly put Condit's lights out in the first round.

Continue reading "UFC on FUEL Notebook: Ellenberger Seeking Condit Rematch, Future Main Events Now Five Rounds & More"

The Daily Recap: Rockhold-Jardine Free on Showtime, Diaz, Condit Get UFC Primetime Special & More

Luke Rockhold. Photo courtesy of Showtime Sports.

The Daily Recap is a collection of news and notes from around the web that will be posted at the end of each day. Bout signings, injury news and much more can all be found here.

— Strikeforce's first event of the new year, which features middleweight champion Luke Rockhold putting his belt on the line against longtime UFC veteran Keith Jardine, will be part of Showtime's annual free preview weekend, which begins Friday, January 6 and runs through Sunday, January 8. Additional bouts set for the televised portion of the card include Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal returning against Lorenz Larkin and Robbie Lawler facing Adlan Amagov. [Showtime]

— Another edition of UFC Primetime has been set to profile next month's interim UFC welterweight title bout between former Strikeforce champ Nick Diaz and one-time WEC belt holder Carlos Condit. It will be the first time that the three-episode mini-series has aired on FX. The first episode will air on January 20 and subsequent ones will premiere on January 27 and February 3. [UFC.com]

Continue reading "The Daily Recap: Rockhold-Jardine Free on Showtime, Diaz, Condit Get UFC Primetime Special & More"

GSP Tears ACL, Diaz to Fight Condit for Interim UFC Welterweight Title

Georges St. Pierre. Photo courtesy of Under Armour.

In another unfortunate turn of events regarding Georges St. Pierre, the longtime UFC welterweight champion has suffered a torn ACL and will be sidelined for nearly a year.

UFC President Dana White announced the news early Tuesday. Due to St. Pierre's anticipated lengthy layoff, top contender and one-time Strikeforce welterweight title holder Nick Diaz will face former WEC champion Carlos Condit for the interim UFC welterweight belt at UFC 143 on February 4 in Las Vegas, Nevada.

St. Pierre was slated to face Diaz in a highly-awaited matchup at the event. A previously scheduled bout between St. Pierre and Diaz for this past October was scrapped after Diaz failed to show up to multiple pre-fight media requirements.

Continue reading "GSP Tears ACL, Diaz to Fight Condit for Interim UFC Welterweight Title"

Page 1 of 12 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›