The Nevada State Athletic Commission has overturned Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone’s Sept. 5 victory over Kenneth Alexander after Cerrone tested positive for Hydrochlorothiazide.
Cerrone (7-0 1 NC) submitted Kenneth Alexander (5-3) with a triangle choke early in the first round of their lightweight bout at WEC 30. Following the fight, Cerrone failed his post-fight drug test after Hydrochlorothiazide was found in his system.
From Wikipedia: Hydrochlorothiazide belongs to the thiazide class of diuretics, acting on the kidneys to reduce sodium (Na) reabsorption in the distal convoluted tubule. This reduces the osmotic pressure in the kidneys, causing less water to be reabsorbed by the collecting ducts. This leads to increased urinary output.
UFC veteran Thiago Alves also tested positive for a diuretic following his victory over Tony DeSouza at UFC 66. The NSAC decided not to overturn the decision the result of Alves-DeSouza as they felt the drug played no part in Alves victory.
The Fight Network is reporting that the Nevada State Athletic Commission voted today to withhold Renato Sobral’s $25,000 win bonus following his actions at UFC 74: Respect.
Controversy ensued when Sobral locked on a fight-ending anaconda choke and refused to let go after his opponent David Heath tapped ultimately choking him unconscious. During his post-fight interview Babalu stated that he felt he needed to teach Heath some respect.
“Always, like in every fight I didn’t understand what he is talking about because after the fight I’m tired and didn’t realize what he was talking about,” explained Sobral. “I didn’t say at any time that I hold the choke. I did say I did what I did to teach some respect because the show was called ‘Respect.’ I just talked about my own words, not about Joe Rogan’s questions. I never understood what he said after the fight because my English is not that good.”
Erik Apple, Babalu’s former training partner, commented on the situation saying “The NSAC kept the entire win purse and issued no suspension. That’s a hefty fine for a family that just moved to the USA and is trying to set up a stable life here.”
News and Notes
- Our rumors section has been updated.
- Be sure to check out our latest MMA on Tap Top 10...
- Stay with us throughout the day and night for complete coverage of UFC Fight Night 11 which will feature our famed Tap Selections, a live blog and much more.
- MMA Junkie is reporting via Tagg Radio that former UFC Heavyweight Champion Frank Mir will be taking on former PRIDE Heavyweight Title holder Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira in his next fight. No official date for the fight was said.
MMA Junkie also spoke to Frank Mir’s manager, Dean Albrecht, who stated that a Mir-Nogueira bout is not official and that he and his client would like to face Kongo before Nogueira at this point:
“No official announcement,” he wrote to us. “We are hoping for Kongo first. He called out Mir. I think he deserves it.“
- Sam Caplan went public with some EliteXC news yesterday. Apparently Gary Shaw and company have no interest in signing Renato “Babalu” Sobral at this time and David Loiseau may be making a return early next year:
FiveOuncesOfPain.com has learned through EliteXC Live Events President Gary Shaw that the fight promotion has no immediate interest in former UFC fighter Renato “Babalu” Sobral. Shaw said in no way does he condone what Sobral did at UFC 74 and labeled the act as “egregious.” However, he would not rule out the possibility of having interest in Sobral’s services in the future.
I’ve also had several people ask me in recent weeks about the status of David Loiseau. Loiseau, if you recall, fought on EliteXC’s debut card in February and has not been used by the promotion since. There was some speculation that he had been released but Shaw confirmed to FiveOuncesOfPain.com that the promotion does in fact have plans for Loiseau and there’s a chance he could be appearing in December in England on a Cage Rage card.
- The Nevada State Athletic Commission has announced that a meeting scheduled for next month will review amending these possible regulations and more:
• Weight loss for a competitor 147 pounds or less changed from two pounds to no more than one at the time of weigh-in
• Weight loss for a competitor over 147 pounds changed from three to no more than two pounds at the time of weigh-in
• Weight loss completion from two hours to one hour after the initial weigh-in
• If a referee halts a bout under the basis that both athletes are in a condition that might subject them to harm, the decision will become a technical draw (currently ruled a no contest)
• The addition of all drugs identified on the World Anti-Doping Agency’s Prohibited List to the NSAC’s prohibited substance list
TapouT reality star and WEC lightweight Donald Cerrone has tested positive for Hydrochlorothiazide, a diuretic that usually used to assist in weight-cutting by forcing the body to retain less water. The drug is currently banned by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.
Cerrone was found to have tested positive for the drug after test results came in from the WEC’s post-fight medical examinations. Cerrone was victorious in his WEC debut at the event, submitting Kenneth Alexander. UFC veteran Thiago Alves also tested positive for the drug at UFC 66 but his win over Tony DeSouza was not overturned since it was found that the drug did not help him in winning the fight. The chances are that the NSAC will see the same for Cerrone.
The other seven fighters tested after WEC 30: Rob McCullough, Rich Crunkilton, Chase Beebe, Rani Yahya, Bryan Baker, Jesse Forbes, and Kenneth Alexander all passed their post-fight tests.
To My Family, Friends, Fans and Sponsors:
Since UFC 74, I have wanted to speak publicly about my fight with David Heath. I waited to do so, however, out of respect for the Nevada State Athletic Commission, Zuffa, Inc. and Dana White. After all, it is their efforts that have legitimized Mixed Martial Arts in the sports world and I realize that my conduct has unintentionally hindered those efforts. For that, among other things, I am deeply sorry.
I have been fighting professionally since 1998. Prior to my fight with David Heath, my professional record was twenty-seven wins with seven losses. Fourteen of my victories came by way of submission. Not once was I ever accused of holding a choke or submission too long. If anything, there has always been and continues to be a great camaraderie between my opponents and I after the fight.
Being a professional mixed martial artist is more than a career to me. It is my livelihood and my way of life. Consequently, I am deeply sorry for any embarrassment that has been brought upon the sport, other mixed martial artists (especially David Heath), my Academy and most importantly, my family.
News and Notes
- We’ve decided to hold off a new MMA on Tap Top 10 until after the events in September.
- Fabricio Werdum has told MMA Weekly that he has joined the Chute Boxe team and has already began training with his new camp:
Werdum stated, “I am very happy with my new training partners and I hope I can get the Chute Boxe spirit and improve my stand up skills. When I first step here, I could see that my training speed wasn’t right. The training here is so much harder, but I am adapting myself and all the coaches and athletes are being like brothers.”
- Former UFC Middleweight Champion Murilo Bustamante has announced that he is reforming the Brazilian Top Team after the depature of the Nogueira brothers and Mario Sperry.
- MMA Weekly is also reporting via sources at BodogFight that the promotion plans to announce a new TV deal when their current contract with ION runs out in February of next year:
Sources at Bodog plan to announce a new U.S. television distribution deal once their current run on ION has ended, although no details were forthcoming at the time of publication.
- The California State Athletic Commission has announced that it will hear the appeal of UFC Lightweight Champion Sean Sherk’s positive test for steroids on October 31st in Los Angeles.
- Staying on the subject of athletic commissions, the Nevada State Athletic Commission has filed a formal complaint against Renato Sobral for his actions at UFC 74. Sobral will be required to meet with the NSAC at a later date to find out whether he may possibly be suspended or fined. $25,000 of his purse is still being withheld.
- Yahoo! Sports has posted their updated MMA Top 10...
- Former UFC Heavyweight Champion Tim Sylvia has landed at Xtreme Couture for a two day training session in preparation for his bout against Brandon Vera at UFC 77.
Sherdog: Koubousen Companion: News and Notes from Japan; Travis Wiuff Ready for “Last Shot” in IFO
411 Mania: Your MMA News, My Views 8.31.07
Choke Him Out: Top 10 Nastiest Mixed Martial Arts Cuts
Bloody Elbow: The Muscle Shark IS Innocent, Right?
MMA HQ: Josh Barnett Still in UFC’s Future?
Sprawl N’ Brawl: UFC 75: Kongo v. Cro Cop
Fight Opinion: Five things I learned from the UFC 75 conference call
Fightlinker: This is why I hate Japan
Today UFC president Dana White announced that Renato “Babalu” Sobral has been released from his UFC contract due to his behavior during his fight with David Heath.
During his fight at UFC 74: Respect, Sobral choked out David Heath and when referee Steve Mazzagatti attempted to stop the fight Sobral refused to left go of the choke saying afterwards, “I just thought that I needed to teach him respect after he showed me so much disrespect.” The Nevada State Athletic Commission withheld half of Sobral’s pay pending a review of his actions during the fight with Heath.
After the fight Dana White went on the record saying…
“I am not happy about it. If you have an arm or leg of somebody in a submission where somebody seriously injures somebody, you’ll never be back in UFC again.”
Babalu and his management will be speaking in front of the NSAC Friday.
The Nevada State Athletic Commission has announced that all ten fighters tested for performance enhancing drugs after UFC 74 passed with flying colors. The results of the tests for drugs of abuse will be released in the coming weeks.
The ten fighters that were tested: Patrick Cote, Randy Couture, Alberto Crane, Gabriel Gonzaga, Kendall Grove, Antoni Hardonk, Roger Huerta, Josh Koscheck, Frank Mir, and Georges St. Pierre.
The Nevada State Athletic Commission has released the list of medical suspensions stemming from UFC 74.
Randy Couture’s broken arm is not on there due to the fact that the injury was found a day after the post-fight examination. Couture told NSAC doctors that his arm was only bruised but found out through x-rays on Sunday that he had suffered a broken arm at the expense of a blocked Gabriel Gonzaga high kick. Couture is expected to be on the sidelines for at least 4-6 weeks and most likely will not fight again in 2007.
Speaking of Gonzaga, he will be out of action for at least two months after suffering a broken nose in his bout with Couture. Gonzaga must be cleared by a nose specialist before he will be permitted to fight again.
Alberto Crane has been medically suspended for two months after suffering a fractured orbital bone during his fight with Roger Huerta. Crane must be cleared by an ophthalmologist before he is allowed to return to active competition.
Joe Stevenson will miss at least two months after learning that he suffered a broken nose. NSAC doctors originally ruled that Stevenson had a broken jaw but additional examinations found that Stevenson in fact had broken his nose and not his jaw.
Antoni Hardonk will be required to undergo an MRI on his right shoulder and must be given clearance by a doctor before he will be permitted to begin physical contact once again.
Both Kendall Grove and David Heath were each suspended for one month by the NSAC.
The Fight Network is reporting that K-1 competitors Rickard Nordstrand and Zabit Samedov tested positive for steriods following their bouts at K-1’s “Battle at the Bellagio” this past Saturday.
Norstrand’s urinalysis registered the presence of Boldenone metabolite and an elevated testosterone/epitestosterone (T/E) ratio indicative of drug use, while Samedov tested positive for Stanzolol metabolite, according to the NSAC. The NSAC tests for a T/E ratio of 6 - Nordstrand’s T/E ratio read at 21.5.
Both fighters have 45 days to submit a written response and they will be given the opportunity to attend a NSAC hearing to address the charges.