Trevor Prangley. Photo by Jon Swenson.
Former BodogFight middleweight champion Trevor Prangley has been tapped to replace an injured Vitor Belfort against Team Quest co-founder Matt Lindland at Affliction’s “Day of Reckoning” show on October 11th in Las Vegas according to MMA Junkie.
Belfort was forced to withdraw from his bout against Lindland due to a lingering hand injury that will leave him unable to compete. The Brazilian suffered a broken hand in the first round of his knockout win over Terry Martin on July 19th. Belfort was originally optimistic about being able to fight this fall, but doctors have advised him not to.
Lindland was also victorious at Affliction’s debut show last month, winning a hard-fought decision over Fabio Negao. It was Lindland’s first fight since he was submitted by Fedor Emelianenko in his one and only trip to the heavyweight division over one year ago.
Prangley meanwhile has not fought since falling to Jorge Santiago in the finals of Strikeforce’s middleweight tournament last November. Since being released from the UFC over two years ago, Prangley has also garnered up wins over Yuki Kondo and Falaniko Vitale.
Vitor Belfort. Photo by Tracy Lee/CombatLifestyle.com
Former UFC light heavyweight champion Vitor Belfort has been forced to pull out of his scheduled middleweight bout against Matt Lindland at Affliction’s “Day of Reckoning” show on October 11th due to a lingering hand injury that will leave him unable to compete.
Affliction Vice President Tom Atencio informed MMA Weekly of Belfort’s withdraw late last night and MMA on Tap has since confirmed the change with Belfort’s camp. The Brazilian suffered a broken hand in the first round of his knockout win over Terry Martin on July 19th. Belfort was originally optimistic about being able to compete this fall, but the opinions of a handful of doctors have apparently now changed his mind.
“Vitor is out, I spoke with him I think yesterday and he told me,” Atencio said. “Actually, it was on Tuesday we had a conversation for about an hour or so, and yeah, I guess he broke his hand in two places is what he told me and he had been having 2, 3 and 4 opinions on it. He finally got the opinion that he wanted I guess and they told him to step out for a while.”
While a replacement opponent for Lindland has not yet been found, rumors are now circulating that EliteXC welterweight champion Jake Shields would consider moving up in weight to face the former Olympic wrestler should EliteXC officials permit him to take the fight. However neither side has been very open about the possibility or the potential ongoing negotiations.
Tito Ortiz was nowhere to be found at today’s Affliction press conference in Las Vegas, fueling speculation that may not have signed with the promotion after all. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
Affliction Entertainment held a press conference earlier this afternoon at the Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino in Las Vegas to confirm a quartet of fights and reveal broadcast details for the promotion’s scheduled “Day of Reckoning” event, which will take place on October 11th at the Thomas & Mack Center on the campus of UNLV.
Among the bouts officially announced today by Affliction Vice President Tom Atencio included two previously reported bouts: a rematch between IFL light heavyweight champion Vladimir Matyushenko and longtime divisional contender Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and a middleweight contest between former UFC standouts Vitor Belfort and Matt Lindland.
Vitor Belfort. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
Former UFC light heavyweight champion Vitor Belfort claims that he will be fighting perennial top-ranked middleweight and Team Quest co-founder Matt Lindland at Affliction Entertainment’s second show later this year, whenever that may be.
Belfort revealed the news to Tatame.com. While Belfort suffered a broken hand in the first-round of his knockout win over Terry Martin on July 19th, he says that the injury might not prevent him from returning to action against Lindland in October.
“The doctor will analyze it, but I may stay four weeks out,” Belfort said in the article. “I’ll come back on October 11th to fight Matt Lindland for the belt. It’ll be a great fight, we’ll see who is the best of the world there. I saw his fight with Negao and he’s a warrior. He comes to be over you, but I don’t think he has the strength to stay over me. I’ll go to knock him out… My punches are well-aimed and when it hits he won’t stand.”
The matchup comes at the perfect time it seems. At the post-fight press conference for Affliction’s “Banned” event, Lindland stated that he would love to fight Belfort now that they are in the same organization and weight division. Affliction VP Tom Atencio is expected to announce details for his promotion’s next card at a press conference on August 6th.
Fedor Emelianenko. Photo courtesy of Affliction Entertainment.
The long-running dispute is now over. After over a year of continual debate regarding Fedor Emelianenko’s perennial status as the world’s top heavyweight, the former PRIDE title holder answered the call in fighting his first top-ranked opponent in nearly three years, and won, in decisive fashion.
Emelianenko quickly knocked down and submitted former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia in just 36 seconds, capping off a night of exciting action at Affliction Clothing’s inaugural event, which took place at the Honda Center in Anaheim, California in front of a host of notable athletes and celebrities.
Sylvia literally never even got started in the fight. After circling each other for a brief moment, Emelianenko stunned and dropped Sylvia with a flurry of left and rights. Fedor quickly pounced on the 6’8 Miletich Fighting Systems product, pounding away with hammer fists until Sylvia gave up his back, allowing Emelianenko to sink in the rear naked choke for the impressive finish.
After the bout, post-fight interviewer and former referee “Big” John McCarthy asked the Russian who he’d like to fight next. His answer then stepped into the ring in the form of current embattled UFC heavyweight champ Randy Couture, who is currently seeking legal help in the courts in his quest to fight Emelianenko before his impending retirement.
“I always thought that the day where I would have to fight Randy would come,” Emelianenko said after the fight with the help of a translator. “It would be a true honor to fight him and I hope that we will be able to work things out in order to make it happen.”
We will be going live at 7:00 PM ET with live results of tonight’s Affliction: Banned, the inaugural mixed martial arts show for the popular California-based clothing company, which will take place this evening at the Honda Center in Anaheim, California.
The show features a main event years in the making between former PRIDE title holder and perennial top heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko and five-time UFC champion Tim Sylvia. Other notable fights on the card include a rematch between Josh Barnett and Pedro Rizzo, a sure-fire war on the feet between Andrei Arlovski and Ben Rothwell, and the return to active competition of former Olympic wrestler Matt Lindland as he faces Brazilian submission wizard Fabio Negao.
Be sure to leave comments throughout the night. Details live results are after the jump.
Photo courtesy of Affliction Entertainment.
The official-weigh in results for tomorrow night’s Affliction: Banned event, which takes place at the Honda Center in Anaheim, California, are below. All fighters successfully made weight with the exception of Justin Levens, who weighed-in four pounds over the middleweight limit. However it’s unknown whether or not his bout against Ray Lazama is being fought a catch-weight or not.
In more unfortunate news, the scheduled bout between PRIDE veteran Aleksander Emelianenko and one-time UFC heavyweight title challenger Paul Buentello has been scrapped. According to the California State Athletic Commission, Emelianenko failed to meet the necessary licensing requirements. A replacement opponent for Buentello will not be able to be found in time.
Tickets still remain on sale for the event. The pay-per-view portion of the card will begin at 10 PM ET and FOX Sports Net will be airing three preliminary bouts tomorrow night as well. The promotion intends to televise as many fights as possible, including those prelims that will not be featured on FSN, which will act as swing bouts for the PPV.
Fedor Emelianenko (230 lbs) vs. Tim Sylvia (263 lbs)
Andre Arlovski (241 lbs) vs. Ben Rothwell (264 lbs)
Josh Barnett (256 lbs) vs. Pedro Rizzo (242 lbs)
Matt Lindland (185 lbs) vs. Fabio Negao (185 lbs)
Renato “Babalu” Sobral (201 lbs) vs. Mike Whitehead (206 lbs)
Vitor Belfort (185 lbs) vs. Terry Martin (185 lbs)
Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (205 lbs) vs. Edwin Dewees (205 lbs)
Mike Pyle (171 lbs) vs. J.J. Ambrose (170 lbs)
Savant Young (145 lbs) vs. Mark Hominick (144 lbs)
Justin Levens (189 lbs) vs. Ray Lazama (186 lbs)
From FatBoyMagazine on Flickr.
Former UFC middleweight title contender Matt Lindland was victorious Tuesday in the Republican primary for the 52nd district of the Oregon House of Representatives.
Lindland, who is running for a seat in the House recently vacated by retiring representative Patti Smith, defeated Phyllis Thiemann by a sizeable margin to win the opportunity to run against Democratic nominee Suzanne VanOrman in the fall according to The Oregonian.
VanOrman handily defeated Steve Richkind in the Democratic primary, garnering an astounding 82% of the vote en route to victory.
Lindland is currently slated to face Fury Fighting Championship veteran Fabio “Negao” Nascimento at Affliction Clothing’s upcoming “Banned” show on July 19th at the Honda Center in Anaheim, California.
Matt Lindland weighs-in for UFC 49: Unfinished Business. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
After over a year of inactivity, former UFC middleweight title contender Matt Lindland will return to action at Affliction’s July 19th show in Dallas after signing a multi-fight contract with the organization.
The Team Quest co-founder made the announcement on last night’s episode of Inside MMA on HDNet.
Lindland last fought in April of last year, submitting to heavyweight king Fedor Emelianenko in a controversial BodogFight bout. He became the number one contender to Rich Franklin’s UFC middleweight belt in 2005 only to be released from the organization due to a violation of his contract.
Since his departure, Lindland has racked up a record of 5-2 and has coached the Portland Wolfpack of the IFL for the past two years.
According to the former Olympic wrestler, a number of names have been thrown around concerning a potential opponent but nothing has been signed as of yet. I can say that the word on the street is Frank Trigg is the leading contender to face Lindland at the show. Sam Caplan has apparently heard this rumor has well.
The event will be headlined by a heavyweight showdown years in the making as former PRIDE heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko will take on former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia.
Matt Lindland weighs-in for UFC 49: Unfinished Business. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
It seems that Matt Lindland has found something else to do while waiting to return to action…
According to an AP report via KPIC CBS 4 in Roseburg, Oregon, Lindland has decided to run for a vacant seat in the state’s Republican House of Represenatives:
And, as is traditional on the filing deadline day, there were a few last-minute surprises. Republican House hopefuls will include an ultimate fighting champion, middleweight Matt Lindland of Eagle Creek, who is running for the seat vacated by retiring Rep. Patti Smith, R-Corbett.
Lindland’s decision to run for political office comes exactly a week after the Team Quest co-founder announced that he had completely sat out the remainder of his deal with Bodog Fight and had signed a multi-fight contract with a new but currently unknown mixed martial arts promotion, rumored to be linked to popular clothing company Affliction and Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions.
“I lived up to my end of the bargain with Bodog Fight,” Lindland said in a recent interview with MMA Weekly. “I haven’t fought since April, anticipating two more fights with Bodog. I was exclusive with them for that period of time, that’s why I hadn’t done any negotiations outside of that contract. I was upholding my end of the bargain. I was being forthright, but they weren’t doing such. It was very difficult.”
I can’t say I know anything at all about Lindland’s political views. However one has to assume that looking past his mixed martial arts resume, he has a chance to make some noise during his campaign. He’s been a mainstay in Oregon just about his entire life. Him being a former Olympic wrestler and a successful businessman has to help as well.
Touch of gloves to Fight Opinion for the find.