Mark Pavelich

MFC Signs Muki Maromo to Multi-Fight Deal

Mukai Maromo. Photo property of MFC.

The Maximum Fighting Championship has announced that they’ve signed Mukai Maromo to a multi-fight contract that includes a championship bout agreement for MFC 36: Reality Check.

“All along my plan has been to become the MFC lightweight champ,” said Maromo in the official release. “I want to become the first Canadian-based fighter to win that belt. I want to make that mark, and then I want to defend the title successfully. After that I’ll see where my journey takes me next.”

Maromo will vie for the MFC lightweight title against Graham Spencer at MFC 36 scheduled for February 15 in Edmonton, Alberta. The two first met back in March 2010 at Era Fight Night where Spencer walked away with a unanimous decision.

Continue reading "MFC Signs Muki Maromo to Multi-Fight Deal"

MFC Announces Release of Drew Fickett

Drew Fickett. Photo courtesy of Maximum Fighting Championship.

The Maximum Fighting Championship announces today that lightweight Drew Fickett has been released from his contract with the company.

Fickett was handed a first-round TKO defeat at the hands of Brian Cobb at MFC 30, and was then given permission to fight in Japan this past weekend. However, Fickett was dealt a second consecutive first-round knockout loss thereby nullifying his contract.

“Drew had the consent of the MFC to fight in Japan, but he and his management were expressly told that if he lost badly again he would be released, and therefore Drew has been released,” explained MFC Owner/President Mark Pavelich.

Continue reading "MFC Announces Release of Drew Fickett"

Fall Canadian Fight Cards Changing


Brian Gassaway. Photo property of World Extreme Cagefighting.

TKO Championship Fighting has announced a trio of additional bouts for it’s latest fight card, “TKO 35: Quenneville vs. Hioki”, which will take place on October 3 at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

UFC and WEC veteran Brian Gassaway will return to the promotion to take on T.J. Grant in one of TKO 35’s featured bouts. Also added to the event was a lightweight battle between Mike Ricci and Reza Kamali and a welterweight affair between Steve Alexopoulos and Daylin Logan.

Canadian lightweight prospect Ben Henderson has been forced to withdraw from his scheduled bout against Joe Heiland at MFC 18 on September 26 in Edmonton. He will be replaced by King of the Cage veteran Donald Sanchez according to an announcement made by the MFC earlier this week.

Continue reading "Fall Canadian Fight Cards Changing"

MFC Nearing Deal to Hold Vegas Event


Guy Mezger, Mark Pavelich, and Mark Cuban. Photo courtesy of the Maximum Fighting Championship.

The Maximum Fighting Championship has revealed that it is nearing an agreement that would have the promotion hold their first-ever event in the United States, with a target date of April 2009 in Las Vegas.

“The resort that we are talking to has been very receptive to our plan and they have really come to [the] table to work with us to provide a wonderful facility and all the things that go into making a great show for our fans,” MFC President Mark Pavelich said last week.

“We are extremely close to getting this deal done which is something our entire organization has worked towards for more than a year now.”

MMA on Tap has learned that the resort the MFC is likely in negotiations with is the Orleans Hotel and Casino, which has invited a number of well-known promotions to hold shows in the Orleans Arena in recent years, including the International Fight League.

Continue reading "MFC Nearing Deal to Hold Vegas Event"

MFC to Change Weight Classes


Photo courtesy of the Maximum Fighting Championship.

The Maximum Fighting Championship has announced it’s decision to change it’s weight classes in the form of dropping it’s heavyweight division and adding the featherweight division to the organization, with the intention of crowning a 145 lb. champion early next year.

The promotion revealed the news Tuesday afternoon. The MFC’s first official featherweight bout will likely take place in November according to MFC President Mark Pavelich, who also has opted to strip MFC heavyweight champion and UFC veteran Scott Junk of his title after a series of recurring injuries have left him unable to defend his belt amidst the folding of his weight class.

“There is such an impressive field of 145ers out there that we felt it was very important to add this weight class and this group of exciting fighters,” Pavelich said. “With what we have done with the lightweights in creating a stellar crew of contenders and up-and-comers, we felt it was very possible to do the same with the featherweights. There are only a few organizations that feature the featherweights and even a smaller number that do it well with some strong fights.”

Continue reading "MFC to Change Weight Classes"

MFC Inks Hollett and Clark to Multi-Fight Deals


Roger Hollett. Photo courtesy of the Maximum Fighting Championship.

The Maximum Fighting Championship announced this week that they have signed light heavyweight champion Roger Hollett and longtime veteran LaVerne Clark to multi-fight contracts that will have both fighters compete for the promotion before the end of the year.

Hollett has not competed since tearing multiple ligaments in his left knee during his first professional loss to American Top Team’s Lew Polley in October of last year. “Hulk” won the vacant MFC light heavyweight title with a first-round stoppage of UFC veteran Victor Valimaki at MFC 13 last August.

“My knee is great,” Hollett said in a recent press release. “I want to get back on track and get back to where I was before the injury. I’m going to be fighting Marcus Hicks on September 20 in the ECC before I come back to the MFC but I’m looking forward to defending my title against anyone they put in front of me. I have a great relationship with the MFC. I get along really well with Mark Pavelich. They have a great organization and I was really excited to sign a new deal with them.”

Continue reading "MFC Inks Hollett and Clark to Multi-Fight Deals"

Goodridge Experiencing Problems With MFC


Gary Goodridge stops Jan Norte with strikes at K-1 Hero’s 8 in March 2007. Photo courtesy of FEG.

A little more than a month after signing a multi-fight deal with the Maximum Fighting Championship, Gary Goodridge is already experiencing problems with the organization, specifically it’s owner, Mark Pavelich.

Goodridge expressed his discontent in The Fight Network’s latest “Great Fight North” column.

“I’m having such a problem with Pavelich that I’m not even sure that I ever want to fight for him,” Goodridge said in the article. “He reminds me of an ex-wife. With all the problems that I’m having with this asshole, he will be lucky if I show up there and I fight.”

The biggest problem between the two circles around the fact that Goodridge is currently scheduled to compete twice, against Eric Esch in Yamma Pit Fighting’s co-main event on April 11th and then against Tony Lopez at a King of the Cage event a week later, before his MFC debut.

Goodridge also mentioned that he’s also contemplating accepting a fight with the Korean Martial Arts Federation later this month, creating a very busy schedule for someone that had previously fought sparingly in mixed martial arts over the past few years.

With frustration setting in, Goodridge is now expressing interest in backing out of his contract with Pavelich and company, a move that would be a huge blow to an event where Goodridge’s participation is being heavily advertised.

“I’m so frustrated,” Goodridge said. “I’ve fought everywhere in the world, and I really wanted to fight at home because I wanted to fight in front of my kids. Pavelich is an idiot; he’s hard to deal with, and I’m at the point that I want out of my contract.”

Report: MFC Offers Spratt Rematch Against Ford


Pete Spratt and Ryan Ford square off at a press conference for MFC 15: Rags to Riches. Photo courtesy of the Maximum Fighting Championship.

Following a controversial loss to undefeated welterweight prospect Ryan Ford in which Ford struck UFC veteran Pete Spratt with two direct blows after time had already expired in the first round, Maximum Fighting Championship President Mark Pavelich has reportedly offered Spratt an immediate rematch.

The news comes from The Fight Network’s Great Fight North column, which states that Pavelich offered the fight to Spratt’s camp over the weekend.

After dominating Ford early on Friday night, Spratt fell victim to a takedown in the closing moments of the first round in their fight. When the horn sounded to end the round, it was visible that Spratt was aware that time had expired while Ford and referee Herb Dean did not. Ford then connected with two right hands flush to the face of an uncommitted Spratt before a ringside official caught Dean’s attention and informed him that time expired.

A stunned Spratt remained on the canvas for almost a minute and a half before finally making his way back to his corner. He was allotted a full five minutes in order to regain his composure but Spratt was unable to get his bearings back for the second round, evident by his slow start. Ford eventually submitted Spratt with a rear naked choke to end the fight.

Normally rematches of this nature are usually automatic, however Ford doesn’t see anything that he can gain from a second fight with Spratt.

“He was given the choice to continue and I choked him out,” Ford said in the report. “I’d have no problem doing the rematch, but why would I? I dominated him for most of the fight. Is that what Pete’s going to keep doing? He fought Waldburger and got choked out, so five weeks later he gets to fight him again. What is a rematch with Pete going to do for me? Nothing.”

An attempt by MMA on Tap to contact Spratt concerning whether or not he would be accepting the fight was unsuccessful.

Stephane Patry and Mark Pavelich Exchange Words

In a recent interview with Sportsnet.ca MFC president Mark Pavelich stated that he didn’t think that TKO, an established MMA organization in Montreal, was much of a draw outside of its native province of Quebec.

Pavelich admitted that he’d prefer to do shows in Canada. But there are limitations. In Ontario it’s not legally sanctioned. And in Quebec, TKO is already the established circuit. On top of that, he doesn’t see TKO as a big draw outside of La Belle Province.

“The bottom line is people in Alberta do not care what goes on in Quebec,” Pavelich said. “And most of the time, people in Ontario don’t even care. I didn’t make the rules. My wife’s from Montreal, my kids were born in Montreal. It’s just stating the facts.

TKO president Stephane Patry fired back in The Fight Network’s latest edition of “Great Fight North” saying TKO garners much more media coverage then MFC and produces a much better show.

“That’s bullshit,” said Patry. “At our last show [June], we made the cover page of the biggest newspaper in Montreal. We’re getting way more coverage then he does media-wise. We have all the radio stations covering [TKO], we have a weekly television show here and we’re everywhere on The Fight Network.”

“Mark Pavelich’s shows are a joke,” claims Patry. “Pavelich’s show is basically a ring with a light above it and two guys fighting, that’s it.

“From seeing what’s going on in the country, I would say number two is Hardcore [Championship Fighting] right now,” Patry said. “In my opinion, they have a better looking show then the other guys. Production value means everything; it’s so important if you want to be major league. I don’t feel Mark’s shows look all that professional.”