From eyepush on Flickr.
UFC Hall of Famer Mark “The Hammer” Coleman as pulled out of his upcoming bout with former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz at UFC 106 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada.
According to MMAWeekly.com, Coleman suffered a tear in one of his medical collateral ligaments. Word is Coleman has requested for the bout to be rescheduled for a later date.
Brock Lesnar. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
The Ultimate Fighting Championship today made official two featured bouts for UFC 106, which will take place at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada on Saturday, November 21.
In the show’s main event, Brock Lesnar will defend his UFC heavyweight title against undefeated contender Shane Carwin. Also, former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz will make yet another return to the Octagon to face inaugural UFC heavyweight champ and UFC Hall of Fame member Mark Coleman.
Tito Ortiz. Photo courtesy of TitoOrtiz.com.
Former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito “The Huntington Beach Bad Boy” Ortiz will face former UFC heavyweight champion Mark “The Hammer” Coleman at UFC 106 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center on November 21 in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The report comes from Fighters Only who cited a source close to the Coleman camp saying agreements had been signed yesterday and the fight was a go.
Ortiz made amends with UFC president Dana White earlier this month and signed a new six-fight contract with the UFC. Prior to signing with the UFC, Ortiz was said to be in negotiations with Strikeforce and Affliction but it came down to competition which he felt Strikeforce lacked.
Tito “The Huntington Beach Bad Boy” Ortiz. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
The Ultimate Fighting Championship has announced that they’ve re-signed former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito “The Huntington Beach Bad Boy” Ortiz. Terms were not disclosed.
Ortiz and White recently buried the hatchet via Twitter and following the reconciliation, many fans expected to hear news of Ortiz’s return to the UFC octagon. Ortiz underwent back surgery in October 2008 and is expecting to return in November or December, possibly against UFC Hall of Famer Mark Coleman.
Vitor Belfort. Photo by Tracy Lee/CombatLifestyle.com
— Former UFC light heavyweight champion Vitor Belfort has reportedly been added to a star-studded card being put on by Bitetti Combat on September 12 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Belfort is said to be facing Europe Top Team’s Moise Rimbon, despite repeated rumors that he is all but set to be joining the UFC following last week’s demise of Affliction Entertainment. [JB Online via Bloody Elbow]
— One-time UFC heavyweight title challenger Jeff Monson pleaded guilty to malicious mischief in Washington court today after being caught spray-painting an anarchist symbol on the Washington state Capitol in an ESPN the Magazine photo earlier this year. Monson faces a potential 90-day jail sentence, a $21,894 fine, and the loss of his passport, which will now prevent from traveling overseas to fight in the near future. [Cagewriter]
Tom Lawlor sporting “Just Bleed” paint. Photo property of Ultimate Fighting Championship.
The official weigh-in results for UFC 100: Making History are in and all of the fighters successfully made weight in preparation for their bouts Saturday night at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The card will be headlined by a UFC heavyweight title bout featuring champion Brock Lesnar taking on interim champion Frank Mir. UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre will defend his title against Thaigo Alves as well.
Brock Lesnar (265 lbs) vs. Frank Mir (245 lbs)
Georges St. Pierre (170 lbs) vs. Thiago Alves (170 lbs)
Dan Henderson (185 lbs) vs. Michael Bisping (186 lbs)
Yoshihio Akiyama (185 lbs) vs. Alan Belcher (186 lbs)
Jon Fitch (170 lbs) vs. Paulo Thiago (170 lbs)
Mark Coleman (205 lbs) vs. Stephan Bonnar (205 lbs)
Mac Danzig (154 lbs) vs. Jim Miller (155 lbs)
Jon Jones (206 lbs) vs. Jake O’Brien (206 lbs)
Dong Hyun Kim (171 lbs) vs. T.J. Grant (170 lbs)
C.B. Dollaway (186 lbs) vs. Tom Lawlor (184 lbs)
Matt Grice (155 lbs) vs. Shannon Gugerty (156 lbs)
Mark Coleman. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
In what would be a very fitting next fight for Mark Coleman, at least terms of the event, the first-ever UFC heavyweight champion is reportedly in talks to face “Ultimate Fighter” runner-up Stephan Bonnar at UFC 100 in July.
From MMA Junkie:
A light-heavyweight bout between UFC hall-of-famer Mark Coleman (15-9 MMA, 6-4 UFC) and “The Ultimate Fighter 1” runner-up Stephan Bonnar (11-5 MMA, 5-4 UFC) could take place at July’s UFC 100 event.
However, a source close to Coleman today told MMAjunkie.com bout agreements have not been signed and the 44-year-old fighter “didn’t hear about the fight until this morning.”
I know the idea of UFC legends fighting at the event is a bit played out, (Ken Shamrock vs. Royce Gracie III? C’mon now) but I definitely wouldn’t mind seeing a few other names from the past like Coleman on the card, albeit they are willing and able. And I don’t mean bringing in Tank Abbott again. Guys like Chuck Liddell and Randy Couture who are already under contract would be ideal.
Here’s video from Thursday’s pre-fight press conference for UFC 93. Video of Rich Franklin and Dan Henderson speaking to the media is above. Comments from Mark Coleman, Mauricio “Shogun” Rua, John Hathaway, and Tom Egan follow after the jump.
In the above video, UFC lightweight contender Kenny Florian breaks the two high-profile matchups that will headline Saturday’s UFC 93 event in Dublin, Ireland: Rich Franklin vs. Dan Henderson and Mauricio “Shogun” Rua vs. Mark Coleman.
In the above video, UFC Hall-of-Famer Mark Coleman discusses his anticipated rematch with former PRIDE light heavyweight standout Mauricio “Shogun” Rua at this Saturday’s UFC 93 event, which takes place at the O2 Arena in Dublin, Ireland.