MFC

Goodridge Experiencing Problems With MFC


Gary Goodridge stops Jan Norte with strikes at K-1 Hero’s 8 in March 2007. Photo courtesy of FEG.

A little more than a month after signing a multi-fight deal with the Maximum Fighting Championship, Gary Goodridge is already experiencing problems with the organization, specifically it’s owner, Mark Pavelich.

Goodridge expressed his discontent in The Fight Network’s latest “Great Fight North” column.

“I’m having such a problem with Pavelich that I’m not even sure that I ever want to fight for him,” Goodridge said in the article. “He reminds me of an ex-wife. With all the problems that I’m having with this asshole, he will be lucky if I show up there and I fight.”

The biggest problem between the two circles around the fact that Goodridge is currently scheduled to compete twice, against Eric Esch in Yamma Pit Fighting’s co-main event on April 11th and then against Tony Lopez at a King of the Cage event a week later, before his MFC debut.

Goodridge also mentioned that he’s also contemplating accepting a fight with the Korean Martial Arts Federation later this month, creating a very busy schedule for someone that had previously fought sparingly in mixed martial arts over the past few years.

With frustration setting in, Goodridge is now expressing interest in backing out of his contract with Pavelich and company, a move that would be a huge blow to an event where Goodridge’s participation is being heavily advertised.

“I’m so frustrated,” Goodridge said. “I’ve fought everywhere in the world, and I really wanted to fight at home because I wanted to fight in front of my kids. Pavelich is an idiot; he’s hard to deal with, and I’m at the point that I want out of my contract.”

Report: MFC Offers Spratt Rematch Against Ford


Pete Spratt and Ryan Ford square off at a press conference for MFC 15: Rags to Riches. Photo courtesy of the Maximum Fighting Championship.

Following a controversial loss to undefeated welterweight prospect Ryan Ford in which Ford struck UFC veteran Pete Spratt with two direct blows after time had already expired in the first round, Maximum Fighting Championship President Mark Pavelich has reportedly offered Spratt an immediate rematch.

The news comes from The Fight Network’s Great Fight North column, which states that Pavelich offered the fight to Spratt’s camp over the weekend.

After dominating Ford early on Friday night, Spratt fell victim to a takedown in the closing moments of the first round in their fight. When the horn sounded to end the round, it was visible that Spratt was aware that time had expired while Ford and referee Herb Dean did not. Ford then connected with two right hands flush to the face of an uncommitted Spratt before a ringside official caught Dean’s attention and informed him that time expired.

A stunned Spratt remained on the canvas for almost a minute and a half before finally making his way back to his corner. He was allotted a full five minutes in order to regain his composure but Spratt was unable to get his bearings back for the second round, evident by his slow start. Ford eventually submitted Spratt with a rear naked choke to end the fight.

Normally rematches of this nature are usually automatic, however Ford doesn’t see anything that he can gain from a second fight with Spratt.

“He was given the choice to continue and I choked him out,” Ford said in the report. “I’d have no problem doing the rematch, but why would I? I dominated him for most of the fight. Is that what Pete’s going to keep doing? He fought Waldburger and got choked out, so five weeks later he gets to fight him again. What is a rematch with Pete going to do for me? Nothing.”

An attempt by MMA on Tap to contact Spratt concerning whether or not he would be accepting the fight was unsuccessful.

Ford Submits Spratt in Controversial Fight


Pete Spratt weighs-in for The Ultimate Fighter 4 Finale. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

The weeks leading up to the fight were filled with verbal barbs back and forth but in the end it was young Canadian phenom Ryan Ford that remained undefeated in submitting HDNet Fights and Ultimate Fighting Championship veteran Pete Spratt at the Maximum Fighting Championship’s “Rags to Riches” event last night.

Both fighters scored early and often in the first round with a mix of effective striking and powerful takedowns. It was obvious later on in the round that Ford was the much stronger fighter as his pure strength made up for his inferior wrestling against the former college football standout.

Spratt turned the tide during the final minute of the round when he landed a high kick that rocked Ford, who ended up falling underneath of the ropes. Spratt pounced on his opponent but instead opted to take the fight back up to the feet, in hopes of scoring another devastating blow that might finish his opponent off. Instead Ford scored a takedown and controlled his foe until the end of the round.

When the horn sounded, it was visible that Spratt was aware that it was the end of the round while Ford and referee Herb Dean did not. Ford then connected with two right hands flush to the face of an uncommitted Spratt before a ringside official caught Dean’s attention and informed him that time expired.

A stunned Spratt remainded on the canvas for almost a minute and a half before finally making his way back to his corner. He was allotted a full five minutes in order to regain his composure but Spratt was unable to get his bearings back for the second round, evident by his slow start.

The pace picked up with an eventful exchange on the feet. Spratt tried to take Ford down but the Edmonton, Alberta native grabbed his opponent’s short, causing Dean to deduct a point. Spratt landed a stiff left jab and yet another high kick but Ford managed to shake off the shots and score a takedown. After softening Spratt up with some punches, Ford took his back and sunk in a fight-ending rear naked choke.

Ford ran up his record to a perfect 5-0 with the win. The loss snapped a brief two-fight winning streak for Spratt, who has now lost four out of his last six.

Continue reading "Ford Submits Spratt in Controversial Fight"

MFC 15: Rags to Riches Weigh-In Results


Pete Spratt weighs-in for The Ultimate Fighter 4 Finale. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

The official weigh-in results for tonight’s Maximum Fighting Championship “Rags to Riches” event are below. Not all fighters successfully made weight.

The event will feature a main event between HDNet Fights veteran and former cast member of “The Ultimate Fighter, Pete Spratt as he returns to Canada for the first time since 2003 to take on undefeated welterweight prospect Ryan Ford.

There were a few hitches at last night’s weigh-ins. Four fighters failed to make weight: Ryan McGillivray, Ryan Jimmo, Chris Camozzi and Carlos Espinosa. All of them are expected to be docked 25% of their purse as punishment.

All of their opponents agreed to a catch-weight bout except for Craig Zellner, who forced Jimmo to lose an additional two pounds in order to make the light heavyweight limit.

Two bouts were also scrapped: Marcus Hicks failed a pre-fight medical examination, leaving him unable to go up against Steve Steinbess; Jeremy Martin suffered an undisclosed injury while training for his bout against Trevor Daley and was forced to withdraw from the fight. Neither fighter will receive a replacement opponent.

Pete Spratt (171 lbs) vs. Ryan Ford (169.5 lbs)
Jesse Forbes (185.5 lbs) vs. Chris Camozzi (187.5 lbs)
Craig Zellner (202 lbs) vs. Ryan Jimmo (208 lbs)
Jason Zorthian (170 lbs) vs. Ryan McGillivray (174 lbs)
Allan Hope (206 lbs) vs. Jason Kuchera (205 lbs)
Mike Maestas (156 lbs) vs. Ryan Heck (154.5 lbs)
Gavin Neil (166.5 lbs) vs. Josh Groves (171 lbs)
Keto Allen (181 lbs) vs. Doug Page (183.5 lbs)
Alec Pelentsov (155.5 lbs) vs. Mike Tubbs (156 lbs)
Carlos Espinosa (157 lbs) vs. Dave Nippard (152.5 lbs)

Spratt Wants to Make Statement Against Ford


Photo courtesy of Pete Spratt.

When Pete Spratt returns to Canada tomorrow night to take on undefeated welterweight prospect Ryan Ford in the main event of Maximum Fighting Championship’s “Rags to Riches” event, it will be the first time the former “Ultimate Fighter” cast member has done so since being submitted by current UFC champion Georges St. Pierre nearly five years ago.

While his first experience up north wasn’t so pleasant, Spratt is determined to make this time around different.

“It really doesn’t matter that my last trip to Canada didn’t go so well, Ryan Ford isn’t Georges St. Pierre,” Spratt said during a recent interview session. “Georges is an amazing fighter and one of the best in the world while Ryan isn’t. I stand by my original comments that made him angry. I’m going to tear through him big time.”

The comments Spratt speaks of stem from Ford’s recent interview with Sherdog’s Andy Cotterill where the 25-year-old stated that he took exception to Spratt’s words and will now use them for motivation.

According to Spratt, Ford is going to need a lot more than that if he wants to come away with a win.

“All the confidence in the world isn’t going to help you if you are going up against a better fighter,” said Spratt. “That’s what this is. I’m a better fighter than Ford and I intend to show that this weekend. As my career goes on, every fight becomes more important. I don’t care if Ryan Ford only has four fights to his credit. I’m not going to look past him. I’m coming into this fight to win and to make a statement.”

Spratt has indeed made a statement in his last couple of fights. Since being released from a second stint with the UFC and suffering a string of defeats that included three straight losses by way of submission, Spratt has made it a priority to improve his ground game in hopes of extending his once promising career.

Recently earning his blue belt from Rodrigo Pinheiro this past November, it’s now visibly apparent that Spratt is serious about adding new elements to his game.

“I want to do things that will lengthen my career,” said Spratt. “For the longest time I was always getting submitted buy I’ve started working my jiu-jitsu and wrestling and it’s really paid off. I still want to keep my striking sharp but the ground game is my main priority now. If he wants to take me down he should be prepared that I’m not the same fighter anymore.”

Will Spratt continue the road back with another victory or will Ford continue to improve his stock as one of Canada’s best young mixed martial arts prospects? We’ll find out tomorrow night.

CKA: Feb 16, 2008

Something a little different to start your Saturday. Now I’ve seen this many times before but not the entire clip with the events leading up to it, which is what we have here. To cut it short, here’s a guy accepting $100 to let Kimbo Slice tackle him. Touch of gloves to Ariel at Jarry Park for the find.

Guillard to Fight Regan at Rage in the Cage in March

Melvin Guillard stated last month that he will be taking a short leave of absence from the UFC to fight in smaller promotions and try to get back on track. His first small show date will happen on March 7th at a Rage in the Cage event according to The Fight Network, where he will take on Eric Regan.

After winning three of his first four fights in the UFC, Guillard suffered consecutive devastating submission losses to Joe Stevenson and Rich Clementi in bad-blood filled bouts where Guillard did the majority of his infamous trash-talking.

Regan, an American Martial Arts Center product, will be participating in his 13th Rage in the Cage event. In fact, he has only fought outside of the promotion three times in a total of sixteen fights. Regan is coming off of a submission win over Chris Garland at Shannon Ritch’s second NoLimit Fighting event in January.

Hicks to Replaces Lewis at MFC 15

The Fight Network is also reporting that King of the Cage veteran Marcus Hicks (not the Hicks that fights in the WEC) will take the place of an injured Dwayne Lewis against fellow light heavyweight Steve Steinbess at Maximum Fighting Championship’s “Rags to Riches” event on February 22.

Lewis reportedly withdrew from the fight after suffering a knee injury during a recent training session.

Despite his sub-par record, Hicks has been ever-improving, winning four of his last six bouts. His last fight was a unanimous decision loss to Craig Brown at a Freedom Fight event in January. Steinbeiss, a veteran of BodogFight, is coming off of a submission win over Wayne Andrews last month.

Schafer-Antle Headlines Gladiators Fighting 49

Similar to Melvin Guillard and a handful of other fighters, UFC light heavyweight Eric Schafer has received permission to fight outside of the organization in smaller shows in an attempt to sharpen up his skills before his next bout under the Zuffa banner.

Schafer will take on Ryan Antle in the main event of tonight’s Gladiators Fighting 49, which is slated to take place at Milwaukee, Wisconsin’s State Fair Park according to our friends over at MMA Junkie.

After an impressive submission win over Rob MacDonald, Schafer was pretty much fed to the wolves when he was forced to take on Michael Bisping and Stephan Bonnar in consecutive fights. He was stopped with strikes in both. After going on a five fight winning streak, Antle has now lost his last two bouts.

Radio Schedule

Nothing on the official slate obviously since it’s a Saturday but there are still some things you should check out…

If you haven’t listened to it already, Fightlinker has an amazing interview with Fight News Unlimited’s Rich Bergeron, who is currently being sued by Xyience for $25 million for reporting on and unveiling a bunch of different things about the current bankruptcy scandal the company is going through.

Other must-listens: Fight Opinion’s latest radio show and Jarry Park’s Valentine’s Day interview with UFC ring girl Arianny Celeste.

MFC Signs Goodridge to Multi-Fight Deal


Gary Goodridge works some ground and pound against Jan Norte at K-1 Hero’s 8. Photo courtesy of FEG.

EDMONTON – The Maximum Fighting Championship,  is excited to announce its first major signing of 2008.

The MFC, working in conjunction with Gary’s Management Team -  Big Daddy Productions, has inked 2005 K-1 World Grand Prix Hawaii champion Gary Goodridge to a multi-fight deal that will see him make his debut at MFC 16: Anger Management on May 9, 2008 at the River Cree Resort and Casino.

That fight will also mark the first time that the Canadian fighting legend, who grew up in Barrie, Ont., will compete on his home soil.

“Gary is a phenom and a pioneer in the world of mixed martial arts. And best of all he is a dangerous, destructive and devastating fighter who is instantly a major force in our heavyweight division,” said MFC Owner/President Mark Pavelich.

“We are very excited to have Gary on our show for his first fight in Canada and it’s a great opportunity for fans across North America via HDNet to see one of the world’s best.”

Owner of 13 knockout victories, Goodridge is ready for a triumphant homecoming.

“Gary’s philosophy is ‘Line ‘em up.’ He wants the top guys right away,” said Dave Wallace, CEO of Big Daddy Productions.

Continue reading "MFC Signs Goodridge to Multi-Fight Deal"

HDNet Fights Announces Partnership With MFC

DALLAS - HDNet Fights announced today that it has partnered with Maximum Fighting Championship to present a LIVE event from Canada on February 22. It will be the first of three events in 2008 between the two partners.

“We’re excited to head to Canada to cover this event,” said Mark Cuban, president and co-founder of HDNet. “Bringing this live MMA action to our fans in Canada is a great way for us to reward all of our viewers north of the border.”

“This partnership with MFC helps to expand HDNet Fights outside the U.S., and to bring new fighters into the fold,” said Andrew Simon, CEO of HDNet Fights. “We’re looking forward to traveling to Canada to bring our viewers this exciting event.”

Mark Pavelich, Owner and President of Maximum Fighting Championship, said the relationship formed between his organization and HDNet was exceptional and a perfect fit.

“Going into 2008, the MFC was determined to find a strong television arrangement to showcase our product,” he said. “The MFC has long been one of the best live shows anywhere with an energetic and entertaining atmosphere bolstered by the most loyal fans in mixed martial arts. Now with our partnership with HDNet Fights, more fans can realize that experience.”

Continue reading "HDNet Fights Announces Partnership With MFC"

Spratt-Ford to Headline MFC 15: Rags to Riches

Undefeated welterweight Ryan “The Real Deal” Ford will not only be taking a big step up in competition at the Maximum Fighting Championship’s MFC 15: Rags to Riches.

He’ll also be in the spotlight of the main event.

Ford will square off against seven-time UFC veteran Pete Spratt at MFC 15 which will take place on Friday, February 22 at the River Cree Resort and Casino in Edmonton. MFC 15: Rags to Riches marks the Maximum Fighting Championship’s first event of 2008 and the first fight card in a five-event agreement for 2008 with the River Cree Resort and Casino.

Ford (4-0), a fast-rising powerful phenom, faces Spratt (17-10) in just the fifth fight of his career. In an interesting twist, current UFC interim welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre also faced Spratt in the fifth fight of his career back in 2003. St. Pierre was victorious with a submission at 1:40 of the first round.

“Like many others, I believe Ryan Ford has the talent to become a major force in this sport and it is fitting that he gets this test against Pete Spratt at the same time in his career that Georges St. Pierre did,” said MFC Owner/President Mark Pavelich.

“Ford is a hungry lion in search of his next prey. Pete Spratt is a dangerous opponent looking to silence a young gun. This has all the makings of a great main event.”

Continue reading "Spratt-Ford to Headline MFC 15: Rags to Riches"

MFC 14: High Rollers Results

Brad Zazulak def. Shonie Carter - TKO (Injury)
Ryan Ford def. Mike Sorenson - TKO (Strikes)
Ryan Heck def. Donald Sanchez - Decision (Unanimous)
Stjepan Vujnovic def. Ryan McGillivray - Submission (Triangle Choke)
Ryan Jimmo vs. Nick Goetz - Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
Ray Penny def. Dwayne Lewis - Decision (Unanimous)
Jason Kuchera def. David Lainof - TKO (Strikes)
Dan Ferguson def. Josh Kyrejto - Submission (Guillotine)
Sean Wright def. Dave Logan - Submission (Guillotine)
Gavin Neil def. Jason Zorthian - Submission (Triangle Choke)
Jason Biggeman def. Kevin Dolan - TKO (Strikes)
Troy Sorenson def. Randy Valette - Submission (Armbar)

Page 5 of 6 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 >