Newton crowned new MFC champ
Daley blasts Alessio in Long Time Coming’s superfight
Emanuel “The Hardcore Kid” Newton used a methodical approach and demonstrated a vastly superior gas tank as he ripped the Maximum Fighting Championship’s world light heavyweight title from Roger Hollett last night before a sold-out crowd at MFC 19: Long Time Coming.
Before the HDNet Fights’ cameras and a full house at The Venue at River Cree Resort and Casino, Newton simply wore out Hollett with a steady barrage of takedowns and an early attack to the body that clearly depleted the former title-holder. But while delighted with taking the title by a resounding unanimous decision, Newton (18-3) was apologetic for a fight that was less-than thrilling.
“I’m sorry it wasn’t very exciting and I promise I will be better when I defend this beautiful belt,” said Newton. “I relied on my cardio and that was the difference.”
Title rematch postponed to MFC 20 in February
The highly anticipated rematch for the MFC welterweight title has been postponed due to an injury suffered in training by challenger Ryan Ford.
Ford was diagnosed with a hyper-extended left knee by renowned sports physician Dr. Shelby Karpman who further advised the MFC’s top-ranked contender that needs to take time off to heal.
“My knee got bent the wrong way and some of the ligaments got stretched,” said a disappointed Ford. “I have to stay off it for a bit so there was no way I could have a full training camp which means I couldn’t be fully prepared for the fight.”
John Alessio. Photo property of World Extreme Cagefighting.
Former UFC and WEC welterweight title challenger John Alessio will reportedly take on rising British striker Paul Daley in a bout that will take place inside Mark Pavelich’s Maximum Fighting Championship on December 5 in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada according to Sherdog.com.
Both Alessio and Daley were connected to the demise of ProElite’s EliteXC brand earlier this month. Daley had fought on four separate occasions in different promotions under the ProElite banner while Alessio was in talks to sign with the company before opting to twice fight at Las Vegas-based “Night of Combat” events following his release from the WEC earlier this year.
Alessio has won his last two fights since being disqualified for illegally kneeing Brock Larson at WEC 33 back in March. The Canadian submitted Pete Spratt in early summer and followed up by stopping fellow UFC veteran Gideon Ray with strikes on October 11.
Emanuel Newton def. David Heath - 4:42 Round 2, rear-naked choke
Ryan Ford def. LaVerne Clark - 2:30 Round 2, guillotine choke
Jay Whitford def. Aron Lofton - 3:11 Round 2, head-arm triangle choke
Simon Marini def. Gerald Lovato - Unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
Ryan Machan def. Gavin Neil - 2:37 Round 1, rear-naked choke
Chris Camozzi def. Elliot Duff - Unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
Evan Sanguin def. Troy Sorenson - 2:04 Round 3, Knockout
Josh Russell def. Mike Gates - Unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
Jesse Clarke def. Jason Zorthian - 2:44 Round 1, TKO
Sheldon Westcott def. Jeff Kisilowsky - 3:33 Round 1, guillotine choke
Brian Gassaway. Photo property of World Extreme Cagefighting.
TKO Championship Fighting has announced a trio of additional bouts for it’s latest fight card, “TKO 35: Quenneville vs. Hioki”, which will take place on October 3 at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
UFC and WEC veteran Brian Gassaway will return to the promotion to take on T.J. Grant in one of TKO 35’s featured bouts. Also added to the event was a lightweight battle between Mike Ricci and Reza Kamali and a welterweight affair between Steve Alexopoulos and Daylin Logan.
Canadian lightweight prospect Ben Henderson has been forced to withdraw from his scheduled bout against Joe Heiland at MFC 18 on September 26 in Edmonton. He will be replaced by King of the Cage veteran Donald Sanchez according to an announcement made by the MFC earlier this week.
Guy Mezger, Mark Pavelich, and Mark Cuban. Photo courtesy of the Maximum Fighting Championship.
The Maximum Fighting Championship has revealed that it is nearing an agreement that would have the promotion hold their first-ever event in the United States, with a target date of April 2009 in Las Vegas.
“The resort that we are talking to has been very receptive to our plan and they have really come to [the] table to work with us to provide a wonderful facility and all the things that go into making a great show for our fans,” MFC President Mark Pavelich said last week.
“We are extremely close to getting this deal done which is something our entire organization has worked towards for more than a year now.”
MMA on Tap has learned that the resort the MFC is likely in negotiations with is the Orleans Hotel and Casino, which has invited a number of well-known promotions to hold shows in the Orleans Arena in recent years, including the International Fight League.
Photo courtesy of the Maximum Fighting Championship.
The Maximum Fighting Championship has announced it’s decision to change it’s weight classes in the form of dropping it’s heavyweight division and adding the featherweight division to the organization, with the intention of crowning a 145 lb. champion early next year.
The promotion revealed the news Tuesday afternoon. The MFC’s first official featherweight bout will likely take place in November according to MFC President Mark Pavelich, who also has opted to strip MFC heavyweight champion and UFC veteran Scott Junk of his title after a series of recurring injuries have left him unable to defend his belt amidst the folding of his weight class.
“There is such an impressive field of 145ers out there that we felt it was very important to add this weight class and this group of exciting fighters,” Pavelich said. “With what we have done with the lightweights in creating a stellar crew of contenders and up-and-comers, we felt it was very possible to do the same with the featherweights. There are only a few organizations that feature the featherweights and even a smaller number that do it well with some strong fights.”
David Heath. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
EDMONTON - The Maximum Fighting Championship, the fastest-rising mixed martial arts organization in North America, puts its fourth show of 2008 under the spotlight with MFC 18: Famous on Friday, September 26 at the River Cree Resort and Casino.
In the main event, a new No. 1 contender for the MFC light heavyweight title will be determined as the always exciting David Heath (9-3) makes his much-anticipated MFC debut against Emanuel Newton (9-3-1). The winner of the bout is likely to be first in line to face the MFC’s reigning champion in the 205-pound division - Roger “The Hulk” Hollett.
“This is going to be an electrifying fight between two very accomplished competitors,” said Mark Pavelich, Owner/President of the Maximum Fighting Championship.
“David Heath is a fiery guy who craves the title and I was very happy to get him signed to a multi-fight deal. But there is no way that someone like Emanuel Newton who is on a tremendous streak having won seven straight fights can be taken lightly at all. Whoever wins this fight is going to be very ready to face the champ.”
Roger Hollett. Photo courtesy of the Maximum Fighting Championship.
The Maximum Fighting Championship announced this week that they have signed light heavyweight champion Roger Hollett and longtime veteran LaVerne Clark to multi-fight contracts that will have both fighters compete for the promotion before the end of the year.
Hollett has not competed since tearing multiple ligaments in his left knee during his first professional loss to American Top Team’s Lew Polley in October of last year. “Hulk” won the vacant MFC light heavyweight title with a first-round stoppage of UFC veteran Victor Valimaki at MFC 13 last August.
“My knee is great,” Hollett said in a recent press release. “I want to get back on track and get back to where I was before the injury. I’m going to be fighting Marcus Hicks on September 20 in the ECC before I come back to the MFC but I’m looking forward to defending my title against anyone they put in front of me. I have a great relationship with the MFC. I get along really well with Mark Pavelich. They have a great organization and I was really excited to sign a new deal with them.”
Ryan Ford. Photo courtesy of the Maximum Fighting Championship.
MMA on Tap has learned that welterweight prospect Ryan Ford will attempt to bounce back from his first professional loss when he takes on longtime veteran LaVerne Clark in the co-main event of Maximum Fighting Championship’s upcoming “Famous” show on September 26th in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
Ford was upset by journeyman Pat Healy at MFC 17 last month, succumbing to a late third-round armbar after dominating Healy for two rounds. Ford, a training partner of current UFC middleweight contender Jason MacDonald, also scored consecutive submission wins over C.J. Fernandes and Pete Spratt earlier this year.
Clark, a veteran of the early days of the UFC, is currently riding a three-fight winning streak. Clark has recently been fighting exclusively out of the Courage Fighting Championships. He last scored a first-round TKO of Matt Kelly in June.
MFC 18 will also feature the promotional debut of midwestern product Joe Heiland, winner of his first four professional bouts, against an opponent yet to be determined. The event will be televised on both HDNet in the United States and on The Fight Network in Canada.