Nevada State Athletic Commissoner Pat Lundvall has finally spoken out about her controversial exchange with former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal prior to the NSAC reducing his suspension to nine months and his following release from the Zuffa banner.
While Lundvall says that she is sorry that Lawal took offense to her line of questioning, she strongly believes that it is an effective method of determining whether or not applicants are fully aware of the paperwork they are signing.
"I've employed it in the past, I will employ it in the future because I think it's a necessary foundational line of inquiry," she told MMAjunkie.com.
Lundvall said the line of questioning was designed to establish that Lawal understood and was therefore responsible for the information contained on the form, chiefly because he admitted to treating an injury before the fight. Yet that information wasn't disclosed on the questionnaire. Lawal disclosed a previous knee surgery but not the supplements and medication he took in the weeks leading up to the fight, a fact he admitted prior to the hearing.
More at MMA Junkie.
A rubber match between Strikeforce lightweight title holder Gilbert Melendez and his chief rival, former champ Josh Thomson has been booked as the co-main event of Strikeforce's next event on May 19.
The promotion officially announced the event and bout today. The show will take place at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, California and willbe headlined by the finals of the Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix tournament featuring Josh Barnett against Daniel Cormier.
In addition, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker also announced today that a rematch between former light heavyweight champion Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante and Mike Kyle will take place as well as a meeting between Bobby Voelker and welterweight prospect Nah-Shon Burrell.
In the above video courtesy of UFC.com, Ryan Bader admits that he is the underdog heading into his fight against Japanese fight scene veteran Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, but plans on using that status as an opportunity to add another MMA legend to his list of wins.
After years of rumors and reports that he would be headed to the UFC, Brazilian light heavyweight standout Glover Teixeira has reportedly inked a deal with the world's biggest MMA promotion.
The news comes from MMA Junkie, citing sources close to the fighter. Teixeira originaly stated that he was headed to the UFC in August 2008, but visa issues quickly sent him back to his native Brazil for the past three and a half years.
Teixiera is currently riding a remarkable 15-fight win streak that dates back to 2006. Along the way he has picked up wins over notable veterans such as Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou, Marvin Eastman, Ricco Rodriguez and Antonio Mendes among others.
The Daily Recap is a collection of news and notes from around the web that will be posted at the end of each day. Bout signings, injury news and much more can all be found here.
Former Strikeforce light heavyweight champ Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal reportedly suffered a health scare in the last month courtesy of another injury to his recently repaired ACL as well as a very bad case of staph. According to Lawal and his manager, the fighter is currently feeling well and the infection is under control. He will be on pain medication and antibiotics through a PICC line to his heart for another six weeks but is expected to make a full recovery. [MMA Mania]
Marloes Coenen will return to action on April 28 at Invicta Fighting Championships' first-ever all-female fight card against Romy Ruyssen, who Coenen defeated via second-round submission back in August 2008. Other advertised bouts for the card include Jessica Penne vs. Lisa Ellis-Ward, Liz Carmouche vs. Ashleigh Curry, Sarah D’Alelio vs. Shana Nelson and Leslie Smith vs. Kaitlin Young. [Sherdog]
It's no secret that Quinton "Rampage" Jackson is more than excited to return to Japan for UFC 144 this Saturday night. The former PRIDE standout spent over five years fighting and entertaining fans overseas before leaving for the WFA and UFC shortly before the collapse of Japanese MMA.
His co-main event bout against former "TUF" winner Ryan Bader is one that Jackson had to fight for. The former UFC light heavyweight champ admits that he had to put up quite a fight to land on this weekend's card, potentially angering UFC officials in the process. However the ability to have his family watch him fight in Japan one more time was worth it all:
“It’s a no-brainer. The UFC is going back to Japan and I got my big break in Japan. I wanted to be there,” he added. “I couldn’t just say it was on my bucket list, but you know what I’m saying, it was a no-brainer that UFC is putting on a show in Japan and I wanted to be on that card.”
“It’s very important to me personally. My kids are from Japan; my kids’ grandparents are from there. They’ve never really watched me fight back in the day, and I’ve got a lot of experience in Japan,” said the former UFC light heavyweight titleholder. "I really miss the fans; I’m not going to lie. I really miss fighting there. So it was something personal for me. My two younger kids can come watch me fight and the in-laws can be in the crowd and watch me fight. I never had that before, so it is something that I want to do.”
You can watch and listen to Rampage talk more about his excitement about fighting in Japan here.
A friend of mine asked for my prediction on Rampage and Bader earlier in the week. While Jackson is all about putting a show for the fans regardless of the result against Bader, something tells me that he will refuse to lose in Japan.
Nearly a year after an ugly divorce with former student Rashad Evans came about, heralded trainer Greg Jackson has confirmed that he will prepare and ultimately corner Jon Jones for his upcoming grudge match against Evans in April.
Jones announced the news via his Twitter account this afternoon.
The confirmation comes just a couple of weeks after Jackson admitted for the first time that he was considering helping Jones after stating multiple times in the past that he would have no part of a fight between the two.
Things were relatively tame for the most part, but you can feel the underlying hatred between Jon Jones and Rashad Evans is starting to seep through the cracks and that heated words are about to exchanged between the two in the months to come.
Jones, Evans and UFC President Dana White converged upon the media to formally announce Jones' next light heavyweight title defense at UFC 145, which will take place at the Phillips Arena in Atlanta, Georgia on April 21.
Full video of today's presser is after the jump.
Following his war of attrition with Mauricio "Shogun" Rua in November, Dan Henderson proclaimed that he wanted a title shot and that he was content to wait for one. Fast forward to today and it has been three months since Henderson last competed, with no sign of him returning as his next fight hasn't been booked.
Rumblings of a potential showdown with Jon Jones swirled last month, and may have prompted Henderson to continue to wait, but they were quickly put to rest after Rashad Evans dominated Phil Davis and forced UFC President Dana White to hand Evans a long-awaited and much-deserved crack at Jones.
Now White doesn't know what to do with "Hendo". Via MMA Junkie:
"He doesn't want to fight Machida," White said of Henderson. "He doesn't want to wait (either). He's going to have to wait. Who does he want to fight? I mean, I don't know what to do with Dan.
"Dan's either going to have to wait for Jones and Evans or wait for Silva – or fight somebody else. It's pretty simple."
Waiting for the winner of Jones and Evans isn't too much of a stretch as they are fighting in April after all, but their next appearance likely won't be until the fall and Henderson would have been out of action for close to a year at that point.
I'm not sure if that is such a good idea at his age. If a fight against Machida doesn't interest him, a bout against Davis most certainly wouldn't. A second meeting with Rampage probably would, but that would again have Henderson waiting until the summer.
Despite rumors earlier this week that Rashad Evans would again be passed over for a shot at UFC light heavyweight champion and former teammate Jon Jones, it appears that "Suga" may get his chance after all.
In an appearance on the "Jim Rome Show" on Tuesday, White stated that if Evans were to defeat fellow top contender Phil Davis at the next "UFC on FOX" event on January 28, and come out of the bout injury-free, he would receive the next crack at Jones later this year.
“We’re working on it now," White said on the show. "We’re going to obviously see what happens in this Rashad fight at the end of the month. The next fight on Fox, Rashad is fighting Davis, so we’ll see what happens there. If Rashad wins, if Rashad comes out injury free, we’ll get the Jon ‘Bones’ Jones/Rashad Evans fight going.”