Kurt Angle

CKA: Feb 15, 2007

News and Notes

- WEC veteran Cole Escovedo is now suffering from paralysis from the waist down due to a staph infection…

According to a post by Laura Escovedo on MMA.tv and confirmed by Reed Harris of the WEC, Cole contracted a staph infection back in December that went unchecked because he just thought it was a spider bite or something of that sort. By the time he was diagnosed in January with staph, the infection made its way into his spine and paralyzed him from the waist down.

Cole was hospitalized and underwent an operation to alleviate some of the fluid that had built up on his spine due to the infection. He has since been released from the hospital and is now at home with a walker and is set to begin therapy.

At the time of publication, it was unknown whether Cole’s paralysis is a permanent or, hopefully, a temporary condition.

- More news on the whole Kurt Angle situation and who he might be signing with:

With a lighter schedule working with rival promotion Total Non-Stop Action (TNA) and a recovery from numerous health issues, 38-year-old Angle says he’s poised to enter the MMA world in 2007 with a number of suitors courting the former Olympian. At the top of the list, says Angle, is the newly formed Elite XC, which enjoyed a strong debut this past Saturday on the premium channel SHOWTIME.

“It looks like I’m going to sign with them (Elite XC) but then all of a sudden Dana White comes along last week and calls Dixie Carter (President of TNA) and says ‘Why is Kurt going to Showtime? I want to talk to him; he should be fighting for Spike, for UFC.”

Pro Elite’s Gary Shaw issued a “no comment” this morning regarding any contact they’ve had with Angle. Dixie Carter, President of TNA, who would not comment on Angle’s negotiations with any company but did confirm that the wrestler’s TNA contract allows him to do MMA, but only if TNA agrees it is best for him. Inquiries to the UFC were unanswered; while Angle says he’d need at least six to eight months of solid training before entering the cage or ring for a mixed martial arts debut.

“I can’t go in there with just my amateur wrestling skills,” said Angle. “I need to learn every facet of fighting, I need to learn how to protect myself with striking, submission holds, some jiu-jitsu and how to strike a bit better.”

- KOTC Canada’s next event, Capital Chaos, will take place on March 28th at the Robert Guertin Arena in Hull, Quebec…

- Elite XC Head Gary Shaw stated that a rematch between Renzo Gracie and Frank Shamrock will most likely take place this fall.

- Our rumors section has also been updated…

CKA: Feb 12, 2007

News and Notes

- Both Ryan Schultz and Aaron Stark of the Portland Wolfpack will not be able to compete at the team’s season debut on February 23rd according to coach Matt Lindland.

Schultz will miss the event because of a medical suspension he received from the Mohegan Sun Athletic Commission after his KO loss to Bart Palaszewski at the IFL Championship this past December. Ironically, the suspension will end the following day after the event. Ian Loveland will be Schultz’s replacement for the event.

Stark will also be out of action because of a rib injury. Taking his place will be John Krohn…

- Bob Sapp has signed with Cage Rage and caused a bit of a disturbance at the promotion’s event this past weekend:

It seems like every Cage Rage heavyweight wants a piece of Bob “The Beast” Sapp after the former NFL lineman-turned-fighter signed with the U.K based promotion earlier this week.

Yesterday, the names of two contenders were revealed.

After defeating MMA legend Dan Severn (78-15-7) in a lackluster performance last night, British boxer-come-mixed martial artist Dave Legeno (3-3-0) took the mic and voiced a verbal challenge to the self-described “ripped 400-pound monster.”

Upon hearing the challenge, Sapp rushed into the cage, pushing bystanders and media out of his way, until he stood face-to-face with Legeno, while the audience applauded in approval.

“I’ll sign the contract right now,” said Sapp. “I’ll take you on.”

Before Legeno could answer, another British heavyweight, Robert “Buzz” Berry (10-5-0), climbed over the fence and rushed Sapp, causing a commotion that escalated into a brief minute of chaos. When the dust settled, Berry was holding a microphone, challenging Sapp as well.

“I’ll take you both on,” Sapp told the two British heavyweights. “You’re both going down.”

Once the show resumed, Cage Rage promoters Andy Geer and Dave O’Donnell made a public announcement that “The Beast” will indeed face “an unnamed British heavyweight” at Cage Rage 21 in April.

- In a recent interview, professional wrestler Kurt Angle stated that he is currently in discussions with the UFC and Elite XC on a contract that would allow him to begin fighting later this year…

Recommended Reads

Sherdog: Monday Morning Reverie: How Do You Spell “Anticlimax”?

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2