Kimo Leopoldo

Update: Kimo Leopoldo Death Reports Untrue, Said to Be Alive and Well


Kimo Leopoldo. Photo courtesy of Kimo-Therapy.com

Update: Despite numerous reports this morning including pieces on TMZ and New York Daily News, the news regarding Kimo Leopoldo is not true and the fighter is said to be alive and well.

Original post:

MMA on Tap has learned that MMA pioneer, Kimo Leopoldo, has passed away at the age of 41. According to reports, Leopoldo died from complications from an apparent heart attack. Other details are still unknown at this point.

Kimo first appeared on the mixed martial arts scene in 1994 fighting Royce Gracie at UFC 3. Kimo provided Gracie with his first true test and from that point forward was a known commodity in the MMA world.

Continue reading "Update: Kimo Leopoldo Death Reports Untrue, Said to Be Alive and Well"

Report: Kimo Leopoldo Arrested in California


Kimo Leopoldo. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

UFC veteran and MMA pioneer Kimo Leopoldo was reportedly arrested by Tustin, California police on Monday afternoon after police spotted him walking down the street wearing a Long Beach Police Department jumpsuit, which apparently officers are only permitted to wear.

From TMZ.com:

TMZ has learned the famously tatted MMA badboy was arrested by Tustin police Monday afternoon after they spotted the 6’3”, 235 lb fighter wearing a Long Beach Police Dept. jumpsuit, complete with patches and a cloth badge—a badge only cops are allowed to wear. The officers—the real officers—then searched Kimo’s ride, where they claim to have found “a small amount of what is believed to be meth.”

Kimo, who famously lost to Royce Gracie in UFC 3, was charged with possession of a controlled substance and is still in police custody. Cops say there will also be an investigation into where the 41-year-old got his hands on the LBPD gear.

Impersonating a police officer and possession of meth? Something tells me that this is definitely going to hurt Kimo’s chances of becoming the new head of the California State Athletic Commission.

Kimo Leopoldo Applying for CSAC Director Job


Kimo Leopoldo. Photo courtesy of Kimo-Therapy.com

Unfortunately this isn’t a joke…

Snippets from a press release sent out this morning:

Keeping in tune with President Obama’s call for much needed change, Kimo formally applied for the CSAC job last week. “There are so many areas of the CSAC that needs more organization including simple things that most people do in their everyday lives. For example, providing promoters with receipts on CSAC letterhead would be a good start. From my past experiences, the CSAC had its receipts written on any old receipt book that you can buy at CVS.

“I am fully dedicated to my sport and all related sports regulated by the CSAC. MMA is in a fragile state in California and it needs guidance. I have had my ups and downs in this industry but, overall, I have 14 valuable years of real life experience in MMA and Kickboxing that nobody can take away from me.”

Remember, this is the same Kimo Leopoldo that tested positive for the banned steroid Stanozolol twice in the span of a two-year period. You can read the full release here. I’m all for change after Armando Garcia’s tenure as well, but c’mon.

They Never Came to Fruition

After watching UFC 79 and hearing all of the discussion about how Matt Hughes and Matt Serra were originally supposed to fight but Serra pulled out with an injury, I got to thinking. It wasn’t the first time that a situation like that occurred.

So I sat down and did some research. There were actually a good number of fights in the UFC that were signed and slated to happen but ended up not taking place for one reason or another. The final number was a lot higher than I expected so I went ahead and narrowed the list down to the fights that would have been the best if they were to happen at the time.

So here they are. I’ve sorted them starting with the most recent and excluding Hughes-Serra. Each instance is pretty interesting.

Evan Tanner vs Jeremy Horn (UFC 59): The two long-time MMA veterans were set to clash at UFC 59 in what was unofficially an “elimination” bout for the two of them. Horn had split his two return bouts in the UFC while Tanner had lost two straight, including his middleweight title. The bout would have been an interesting chess match between two slick grapplers but Horn ended up pulling out after injuring his back during training. Justin Levens replaced Horn and Tanner went on to submit Levens in the first round of their bout. Horn was released shortly after defeating Chael Sonnen at UFC 60.

Matt Hughes vs Karo Parisyan (UFC 56): After losing to Georges St. Pierre at UFC 46, Parisyan went ahead and racked up three straight wins over Nick Diaz, Chris Lytle, and Matt Serra to earn a title shot against then-champion Matt Hughes. The anticipated welterweight showdown was set to headline the event until Parisyan was forced to pull out of the fight after suffering an elbow injury during training. Joe Riggs stepped in for Parisyan and ended up failing to make weight, costing him his shot at the title. Hughes would go on to submit Riggs in a non-title bout and wouldn’t defend his belt again until UFC 63, making it over a full year since the welterweight title was contested. To this day, Parisyan is still yearning for another shot at the title.

Continue reading "They Never Came to Fruition"

CKA: July 12, 2007

News and Notes

- Our rumors section has been updated once again…

- Remember to cast your vote on our latest poll: Rock the Vote - Favorite UFC 73 Fight

- MMA on Tap would like to congratulate UFC Junkie’s Eric “Performify” Foster on being hired as a columnist for Fight! Magazine.

- For those of you that haven’t already heard, Wesley “Cabbage” Correira has been forced to withdraw from his scheduled bout with James Thompson at Cage Rage 22 this Saturday after suffering a broken ankle during a recent training session. Cage Rage has also announced that Correira will be replaced by Kimo Leopoldo in the bout.

- Full Contact Fighter is reporting that former UFC Heavyweight Champion Ricco Rodriguez has been forced to withdraw from his scheduled bout against Ron Waterman at HCF: Unfinished Business on July 21 because he has been denied admittance into the country of Canada:

Hardcore Championship Fighting promoter, Keith Crawford, informed FCF this afternoon that Ricco Rodriguez will not fight Ron Waterman on the July 21st, “Unfinished Business” card, in Edmonton, Alberta, as had been advertised. The fight was to be the card’s main event, which will take place at the River Cree Resort and Casino in Alberta’s capital city. According to Crawford, Canadian authorities have denied Rodriguez entrance into the country.

“Mr. Rodriguez’s bond to get into Canada has been revoked due to recent situations.” said Crawford, which was the extent to which he cared to comment. As of last week, Crawford had maintained in correspondence with FCF that he believed all American fighters that were scheduled to compete on the card would be granted entry into Canada.

Rodriguez’s lawyer and agent, James C. Gallo, told FCF this afternoon that “I’m not an expert in Canadian law, but I’m unaware of any reason as to why Rodriguez would be precluded from leaving the U.S. to enter Canada.”

- The Fight Network is reporting that Mirko Cro Cop has hired a talented group to be used as sparring partners in preparation for Cro Cop’s upcoming bout against Cheick Kongo at UFC 75. Sergei Kharitonov, Ricco Rodriguez and Zelg Galesic will all be participating in Cro Cop’s training camp.

- Randy Couture and Quinton Jackson fell short of their bid to become the first mixed martial artist to receive an ESPY for Fighter of the Year as Floyd Mayweather Jr took home the honor.

- Gracie Fighter is stating that Nick Diaz has been released of his contract with PRIDE and Zuffa because of his ties with Elite XC:

We will be running a series on a seldom seen look at the behind the scenes workings that ultimately lead to the ouster of Nick Diaz from the new Pride organization. In our opinion this ouster had everything to do with Nick’s participation in the EliteXC organization and nothing to do with Zuffa’s technical grounds. Everyday this week we will post corresponding emails and let you the reader be the ultimate judge.

Radio Schedule:

12-1 PM EST - TAGG Radio
1-3 PM EST - The Jordan Breen Show
3-5 PM EST - The Stephen Quadros Show
3-4 PM EST - The Fight Network Radio
9-10 PM EST - MMAWeekly’s Sound Off
11 PM EST - Knockout Radio

Media Links:

MMA Weekly: This Thing is a Unification Bout
NBC Sports: Sport, not savagery
CBS Sportsline: A look ahead at UFC championship picture
Fight Opinion: Thursday trash talk: Trigg and Toughman
Bloody Elbow: California and Oversaturation
411 Mania: Where Do The UFC 73 Fighters Go From Here

Cabbage Out of Cage Rage 22 With Broken Ankle; Will Be Replaced by Kimo

Wesley “Cabbage” Correira has been forced to withdraw from his scheduled bout with James Thompson at Cage Rage 22 this Saturday after suffering a broken ankle during a recent training session.

Cage Rage has also announced that Correira will be replaced by Kimo Leopoldo in the bout. Leopoldo has not fought since October of 2006 when he was stopped by Wes Sims in the first round of their bout at Extreme Wars 5.

Wes Sims Beats Kimo; X-1 Results

Wes Sims… Yes, that Wes Sims stopped Kimo Leopoldo by doctor’s stoppage last night at X-1. An pretty big amount of blood that continously streamed from Kimo’s nose caused the doctor to stop the fight in the first round.

The rest of the X-1 results…

Steve Byrnes defeated Joshua Ferrera - Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
Justin McCully defeated Derek Thornton - Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
Ed Newalu defeated Dave Moreno – Unanimous Decision
Sally Krumdiack defeated Brittany Pullem – KO
Alex Steibling defeated Auggie Paddeken – Unanimous Decision
Scott Junk defeated Corrie Salter – Unanimous Decision
Eric Pele defeated Vince Lucerno - Unanimous Decision
Adam Lynn defeated Mark Moreno – Unanimous Decision
Niko Vitale defeated Timmy Williams – KO

Kimo Signs With Cage Rage

UFC veteran Kimo Leopoldo has signed with Cage Rage Championships and will make his debut on September 30th against Dave Legeno.

(Let it be known that Legeno sports a professional MMA record of 0-3)

Kimo Gives Explanation

A little over a week has passed since Kimo Leopoldo tested positive for steroids and was unable to compete at WFA: King of the Streets last weekend. Now Kimo wants to give his side of the story. He stated that the steroids he took were medicinal, prescribed after surgery on his knee last year.

“I actually had a prescribed medication that was in my system,” said Kimo. “I had a knee surgery that I had approximately a year ago, so my doctor prescribed me a few things to help me out in my recovery, and this was taken before I even had a clue about this fight with Bas. I was completely done taking it when I found out about this fight.”

Kimo Fails Drug Test

Kimo Leopoldo will no longer be fighting Bas Rutten at WFA King of the Streets. Kimo tested positive to a banned substance and has been pulled from the card. Wes Sims was thought to be the late replacement but he is unable to because he cannot fight twice in a seven day span. Sims decided to take the fight on the WEC “The Hitman” card.

The last time Kimo fought in the US against Ken Shamrock, he failed his post-fight drug test. He served his suspension and since he is making his return to the US for the first time since his suspension he was required to undergo a pre-fight drug test which he failed. Reports state that the drug Kimo tested positive for was the anabolic steroid Stanozolol.