Photo property of PRIDE FC Worldwide.
Earlier today at World Victory Road’s “Sengoku” event at the Yoyogi National Gymnasium in Tokyo, Japan, officials announced the signing of two additional heavyweights to the organization’s roster: Kevin Randleman and Roger Gracie.
Both are currently scheduled to compete at the promotion’s next event on May 18th in Japan.
In addition to his deal with WVR, Randleman told MMA Weekly that he has signed with Global Fighting Championships as well and will make his debut for the company this summer.
“As of right now, I am fighting Jeff Monson on June 21st in North Carolina in Bobcat Arena,” Randleman said in the report. “My first fight is going to be May 18th in the new Japanese organization, it is not Pride, but World Victory Road.”
Randleman, a former UFC heavyweight champion, has not fought since being submitted by Mauricio Rua in October of 2006. His time off last year was filled with bad events, including Randleman suffering from multiple severe staph infections, kidney failure, and an arrest for driving under the influence as well as six other additional charges.
Gracie was victorious in his one and only professional mixed martial arts fight in December of 2006, submitting Ron Waterman with an armbar at a Bodog Fight event. He was originally rumored to have been fighting Hidehiko Yoshida but WVR officials obviously opted for Josh Barnett instead.
Touch of gloves to MMA Man Japan for the find.
Happy Halloween bitches!
News and Notes
- Officials at Team Link have confirmed that Gabriel Gonzaga will indeed take on Fabricio Werdum at UFC 80 in Newcastle, England.
- Sean Sherk, Phil Baroni, Adam Smith, and Kazuhiro Nakamura will all go in front of the CSAC this afternoon to try and get their original positive tests overturned by the commission. We will have full coverage throughout the day.
- FIghtlinker has all of the documents that were handed out at yesterday’s UFC press conference. (PDF)
- Adam Swift has a new article up on Sherdog where he dives into a standard Zuffa contract. What he found may tell us that Randy Couture’s contract certainly isn’t up after nine months:
The most infamous clause is the so-called retirement provision, which is largely responsible for the war of words—retirement versus resignation—between the UFC and Couture since his Oct. 11 departure from the company.
“If at any time during the Term, Fighter decides to retire from mixed martial arts or other professional fighting competition,” the clause begins, “then ZUFFA may, at its election, (i) suspend the Term for the period of such retirement; (ii) declare that ZUFFA has satisfied its obligation to promote all future Bouts to be promoted by ZUFFA hereunder, without any compensation due to Fighter therefore; or (ii) elect to provide Fighter with notice of an Acceleration.”
For all practical purposes, sub clause (i) allows Zuffa to retain the rights to a retired fighter in perpetuity. Sherdog.com has confirmed that this clause does not appear in every Zuffa contract; it is believed to be reserved for top fighters. The term of the contract may also be extended indefinitely for any period when a fighter is “unable, unwilling or refuses to compete or train for a Bout for any reason whatsoever.”
- Jess Liaudin has announced that he will sign a new three-fight deal with the UFC after his bout against Marcus Davis takes place at UFC 80:
“I will keep fighting for the UFC,” Liaudin said. “I need to go slow and build myself up, work on my weak areas. Training with Team Quest [before UFC 75] really improved my game. I need to keep doing stuff like that.”
- The IFL has announced that Vladimir Matyushenko has signed a contract extension that will keep him in the IFL through the end of 2008.
Sherdog: Matyushenko Meets Schoenauer for IFL Grand Prix 205-Pound Title
Fightlinker: Dana White’s personal heavyweight rankings
Five Ounces of Pain: Round 5 MMA figures on my Christmas list
MMA News: Exclusive Interview With Kevin Randleman [Pt. 1]; Exclusive Interview With Kevin Randleman [Pt. 2]
Bloody Elbow: Trevor Prangley Talks Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament
Fight Opinion: Wednesday war room: UFC winning the PR battle?
News and Notes
- Our rumors section has been updated…
- The IFL has announced that it has signed welterweight Mark Miller to a contract extension through the end of 2008.
- Bubba the Love Sponge mentioned on his satellite radio show yesterday that he ran into Dan Henderson over the weekend and Henderson mentioned that he would be fighting in December and possibly at middleweight:
It appears that Dan Henderson may very well be fighting on the UFC 79 Nemesis December 29th card. While on a trip to Vegas this weekend, Bubba the Love Sponge mentioned on his Satellite Radio program today that he ran into Henderson. He stated that Dan mentioned in conversation that he thought he would be fighting in December. Bubba went on to say that Dan would not say who he would be fighting, but did mention that he may be fighting at 185 lbs.
- MMA Junkie is reporting that Pete Spratt will take on Tristan Yunker at HDNet Fights II in December.
- UFC Mania has now become MMA Mania...
- HCF CEO Keith Crawford and Scott Zerr of Maximum Fighting Championship exchanged heated press releases yesterday. Crawford claimed that the slated MFC bout between Shonie Carter and Brad Zazulak is a complete mismatch and shouldn’t be allowed to happen. Zerr fired back with claims that Crawford’s company is losing money and not paying their fighters on time.
- Kevin Randleman is currently in the hospital, dealing with an extremely severe staph infection. .I’m not going to upload the pictures of his infection on here because it’s pretty tough on the eyes but you can see it here.
Randleman was apparently in critical condition for three weeks:
Kevin spent three weeks in the hospital and was released two weeks ago. After having a look at that picture I could only assume that it was painful, Kevin offered this: “I was in critical condition for almost three weeks and I am two weeks out of the hospital now.” He continued, “pain is just part of the healing, and it hurts a lot.”
Painful indeed as one could only assume two holes in the side of your body could be. Kevin is doing okay now but will need to be careful. “I had two organs shut down again. I think what I need to do is stop enduring the pain and go see the doctors earlier.”
- Dave Meltzer has an excellent piece on how olympic-skilled wrestlers have revolutionized MMA’s heavyweight division over the years.
It’s been a while since we’ve had one of these. I guess potential fight matchups haven’t been coming out in huge bunches lately.
Apparently a lot of news has come out of Strikeforce’s latest show at the Playboy Mansion this past weekend. The promotion announced that signing of Renato “Babalu” Sobral but that wasn’t all that was revealed courtesy of Gary Herman at 15 Rounds.
Sobral has told Herman that Strikeforce has also inked former UFC Heavyweight Champion Kevin Randleman and Evangelista “Cyborg” Santos to contracts. Sobral stated that he would like to fight either of the two:
Sobral signed a three-fight contract with Strikeforce.
“Strikeforce is a very strong organization. They are bringing in a lot of good fighters in my weight class,” said Sobral.
According to Sobral, two other fighters headed to Strikeforce are Kevin “Monster” Randleman and Evangelista “Cyborg” Santos. Sobral has his sights set on both of the former Pride Fighting Championship competitors.
“I’d like to fight both Randleman and Cyborg,” Sobral said.
Sobral also stated that he expects to fight in December.
Frank Shamrock says that he expects to be back in action at some point next spring.
After Daniel Puder’s victory Saturday night, he went over and challenged K-1 veteran Bob Sapp:
“After the match, I went and told Bob Sapp I want to fight him,” Puder said.
Puder said that Sapp was more than willing to accept the challenge.
“Sapp is going to talk to Scott Coker about it. We want to make it happen,” said Puder. “I want to fight him next year.”
BodogFight Middleweight Champion Trevor Prangley noted that discussions are currently taking place in order to have him making his first title defense against Matt Lindland:
“It has been talked about,” said Prangley. “I would love to fight him.”
Touch of gloves to Five Ounces of Pain for the find.
- Randleman was clocked driving at 91 MPH down a Nevada highway. An officer observed Randleman’s vehicle swerving from lane to lane. Randleman almost struck multiple vehicles. Randleman eventually slowed to a stop on the shoulder of the highway, allowing the officer to approach him.
- The officer smelled a strong odor of alcohol right away and stated that Randleman seemed confused when he got out of his car. The officer stated that Randleman was cooperative until he was asked if his car could be searched for weapons. Randleman was then handcuffed for safety reasons. He admitted have some drinks that night. The officer also noticed a white substance around Randleman’s nose but Randleman denied doing any drugs.
- Randleman failed to produce a valid ID and was placed under arrest. Randleman told the officer that the handcuffs were too tight and then threatened him when the officer attempted to loosen them. Randleman apparently headbutted the back of the police car on the way to the detention center and also bent one of the bars on the cage. Randleman also kicked the door several times and made racial remarks towards the officer.
- Randleman had to be restrained by many police officers once they reached the Clark County Detention Center. Randleman refused to allow the officers to take blood for a DUI test but they informed him of a Nevada law that allows them to do so.
Former UFC Heavyweight Champion and PRIDE FC veteran Kevin Randleman was arrested earlier today in Clark County, Nevada.
Randleman is currently being held at the Clark County Detention Center and is awaiting a hearing that will take place on Friday morning.
The detention center’s records reveal that Randleman was picked up on a number of charges that include DUI, speeding, failure to drive in the correct lane, driving without a valid license, being under the influence of a controlled substance, intimidating a police officer, and malicious destruction of public property.
We will definitely continue to follow this story and will post any new information as soon as we get our hands on it.
“I’ve never hand-picked an opponent.”
Those words from the mouth of former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Chuck Liddell were spoken in order to shoot down a slew of rumors that popped up last week concerning Liddell possibly hand-selecting Keith Jardine as his opponent at UFC 76.
Liddell discussed the Jardine rumors as well as the usual fight selection process he went through in the UFC with MMA Weekly:
“There would be no reason to hand-pick Jardine. The only time I’ve ever asked for a guy is when I asked to fight Kevin Randleman because I wanted to fight a guy that had a name at the time because they kept giving me guys as little known as I was. I think that’s the only time I’ve ever asked for someone specifically.”
“They talked to me about fighting Wanderlei in September, and I said, ‘Yeah, that’s fine. Cool. Perfect.’ Then I heard it fell out. I assumed they were going to put me with Shogun [Rua] because I knew he was on the same card. I figured they would put me with Shogun, but they came to me and said they wanted me to fight Keith. I’m not complaining. I don’t argue with people about who I’m going to fight. I fight whoever they tell me to,” explained Liddell.
Various sites reported that Liddell was offered a choice between Jardine, Mauricio Rua, Kazuhiro Nakamura, and Ryoto Machida.
News and Notes:
- Our rumors section has been updated…
- Cage Rage has announced three scheduled bouts for it’s upcoming Cage Rage 23: Unbelievable show on September 22. James Zikic will defend his Cage Rage Light Heavyweight Championship against Vitor Belfort. Mark Weir will take on Paul Daley and Joe Mac and Jeremy Bailey will finally go at it.
- The IFL’s Los Angeles Anacondas have announced that former UFC Heavyweight Champion Kevin Randleman has been named the team’s official wrestling coach. Anaconda’s head coach Shawn Tompkins has said that Randleman is also currently training with the team in hopes of making a comeback to active competition:
“Kevin Randleman might be making a return to the cage or ring,” says Tompkins. “I like training Kevin. He’s open-minded and we’re exchanging a lot of knowledge.”
- The following fighters have tested negative for drugs of abuse and banned substances following the post-fight tests done after UFC 73 by the CSAC: Mark Bocek, Chris Lytle, Frankie Edgar, Jason Gilliam, Diego Saraiva, Jorge Gurgel, Stephan Bonnar, and Mike Nickels. More test results will be released later this week.
News and Notes
- The Fight Network will be televising the EliteXC debut show live at 10 PM EST on February 10th.
- UFC and PRIDE veteran Kevin “The Monster” Randleman has been released from the hospital after he suffered near kidney failure.
- Mauricio “Shogun” Rua and Alistair Overeem will face off in the ring PRIDE 33: Second Coming.
- Canadian welterweight Jeff Joslin is scheduled to face Kuniyoshi Hironaka on April 5th live on Spike TV.
- Tonight on ‘Inside the UFC’, Joe Rogan will sit down and talk to UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva and his opponent Travis Lutter.
- Be sure to check out our newly created rumors page. We’ve updated the PRIDE 33 card with Overeem vs. Rua.
- Sherdog has announced that they will be going live 3 days a week starting February 12th. The show will run from 1PM - 5PM EST with 2 hour episodes of ‘The Beatdown’ and ‘The Savage Dog Show’. The show will also have updates at the top of every hour. For the users who cannot listen live, there will still be a podcast available through iTunes.
- Elvis Sinosic has signed a new deal with the UFC and it looks like his next fight will be in April. It also looks like Gonzaga will be fighting on one of the UFC cards in April.
News and Notes
- Kevin Randleman has officially been released from the hospital. He has been told by doctors to take some time off and let his body heal up and get back to normal, something he didn’t do after undergoing multiple surgeries last year, thus his body giving out on him earlier this month…
- UFC Fight Night 8 on Spike TV last week drew an overall rating of 1.7.