Luigi Fioravanti. Photo courtesy of Pixelens.com.
Aside from the UFC's ballyhooed charity event and the end of Jens Pulver's losing streak, there were many other notable shows taking place this past weekend.
UFC castoff Luigi Fioravanti won his fourth straight fight on Saturday, stopping Mitch Whitesel via strikes in the second round during the main event of World Extreme Fighting 45 in Jacksonville, FL.
Fioravanti has won seven out of nine since his release from the UFC in Februray 2009 following a stoppage loss to then-rising welterweight prospect Anthony Johnson.
Kenny Ento def. Justin Levens - Submission (Triangle Choke)
Jeremy Freitag def. Lodune Sincaid - Decision (Split)
Poppies Martinez def. Brandon Jinnies - TKO (Strikes)
Phil Collins def. Marc De La Cruz - TKO (Strikes)
Luis Gonzalez def. Josh Besneatte - TKO (Strikes)
Jeremy Luchau def. Michael Satumbaga - Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
Jimmy Dexter def. Dewey Cooper - Decision (Unanimous)
Mike Moreno def. Chaondray Johnson - KO (Kick)
Mike Martinez def. Rocky Molina - TKO (Strikes)
Nate Loughran def. Brian Warren - Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
Jorge Evangelista def. Vernon Phillips - KO (Kick)
Mark Munoz def. Anthony Rubalcava - Decision (Unanimous)
Thomas Denny def. Olaf Alfonso - Decision (Unanimous)
LEMOORE — Kenny Ento says he is always looking for some one to stand and trade with him. Justin Levens welcomes the idea.
“If it stays standing, I see myself with a smile and a shiny new belt,” said the Ultimate Fighting Championship veteran from Newport Beach.
“Most people say they are going to try and stand and trade with me ‘til I hit them. Then their game plan changes.”
Ento (8-2) is steadfast in his vow to keep his Palace Fighting Championship Middleweight Championship fight with Levens (9-7) standing on Oct. 18 at the Tachi Palace Hotel and Casino in Lemoore.
“I hope he wants to keep it standing and box it out,” said Hanford’s Ento, who is a slick submission master with seven of his eight victories coming by submission.
“I wouldn’t say that I have a game plan really. I try and take each fight and play it by ear, but I’ve continued to work on my standup and my ground is getting a lot cleaner.”
We have a lot of stuff to report this morning…
News and Notes
- EliteXC has announced a total net loss of $11.9 million between January and June 2007 according to UFC Mania.
- IFL heavyweight Krzysztof Soszynski has announced that he has joined Dan Henderson’s Team Quest in order to continue with his training…
- FEG formally announced three bouts for the upcoming K-1 Hero’s event on September 17th. The semifinals of the 2007 154 lb tournament will roll on when Caol Uno takes on Kultar Gill and Gesias Calvancanti goes up against Vitor Ribeiro. Ikuhisa Minowa and Ralek Gracie will compete in a non-tournament bout.
- Cage Fury Fighting Championship’s October 12th event will feature the return of Ricardo Almeida. Almeida’s opponent will be Dennis Hallman.
- American Top Team has stated that Denis Kang is expected to sign with an organization in the next few weeks and is targeting September as a possible date of return.
- Palace Fighting Championships has announced that Justin Levens will fight Kenny Ento for the vacant PFC World Middleweight Championship on October 18th:
“These are two of the most popular and intense fighters to ever compete in the Valley,” Printup said. “Levens has faced tougher competition, but Ento is an extremely tough match up. He’s tall, rangy, has excellent submissions and underrated stand up. Levens is an absolute animal, who has only lost to top-level fighters.”
- The IFL Finals on September 20th in Hollywood, Florida will now feature two superfights as well as the IFL Championship. Seth Petruzelli and Rolles Gracie Jr. will meet in a light heavyweight bout. Aaron Riley and Ryan Schultz will clash in the night’s other superfight.
- The weigh-ins for UFC 74 will begin at 6 PM EST and will start to be broadcast on ESPNEWS at 7:15 EST. As always, they will also be available to watch online for free on a slew of sites, including UFC.com, Yahoo! Sports, and MSN.
- Tickets for UFC 77: Hostile Territory are slated to go on sale starting on August 22nd…