Ken Shamrock

Weekend Results: Escudero & Escovedo Win, Illegal Knee Dooms Irvin


Efrain Escudero. Photo by Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC.

Nick Diaz's hard-fought title defense and Abe Wagner's 32-second destruction of Tim Sylvia may have made the headlines this past weekend, but there was plenty more quality MMA going on around the country.

"Ultimate Fighter 8" winner Efrain Escudero won for the second time since his release from the UFC, submitting Jeremy Larsen with an armbar in the second round of Rage in the Cage 148's main event.

Also victorious was former WEC featherweight champion Cole Escovedo, who snapped a two-fight losing streak via technical submission after choking opponent Steven Siler unconscious with a triangle choke at a Showdown Fights event in California.

Continue reading "Weekend Results: Escudero & Escovedo Win, Illegal Knee Dooms Irvin"

Guida to Replace Shamrock Against Lashley


Jason Guida. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

Just one day after it was announced that Ken Shamrock would no longer be able to take on fellow former professional wrestler Bobby Lashley at the Roy Jones Jr-promoted “March Badness” boxing and MMA card next weekend due to a positive steroids test in California, it seems that Lashley already has a new opponent.

According to Ariel Helwani of Versus.com, Lashley will now be facing one-time EliteXC and “Ultimate Fighter” veteran Jason Guida at the event:

Versus.com can exclusively report that Jason Guida (17-19) will replace Ken Shamrock as Bobby Lashley’s (1-0) opponent on next weekend’s “March Badness” pay-per-view. Guida, the younger brother of UFC lightweight star Clay Guida, is best known for failing to make weight prior to his qualifying match on the eighth season of “The Ultimate Fighter.” The Florida State Boxing Commission is honoring Shamrock’s steroid suspension levied by the California State Athletic Commission earlier this week.

Despite his actions over the last year or so that have brought him down in the eyes of many MMA fans, Guida’s experience presents a whole new challenge for Lashley, who only has one professional fight under his belt so far. It’s a far more compelling matchup (and more dangerous for Lashley) than if he were still to face an aging Shamrock.

Ken Shamrock Tests Positive for Steroids


Ken Shamrock. Photo by Esther Lin/EliteXC.

It looks like Ken Shamrock’s date with Bobby Lashley later this month won’t be happening after all. (Thank God, seriously) The California State Athletic Commission says that he’s tested positive for three different kinds of steroids following his recent submission win over Ross Clifton and will be sitting on the sidelines for one year:

UFC legend Ken Shamrock has been suspended for one year for testing positive for the steroid Stanozolol, as well as two Nandrolone-based substances, 19-Norandrosterone and 19-Noretiocholanolone, according to a statement issued by the California State Athletic Commission on Wednesday.

Shamrock‘s manager and attorney Rod Donohoo said the fighter has adamantly denied the allegations and will appeal the suspension.

“Ken was taking legal over-the-counter products, and based upon our preliminary research, I’m investigating if those products were the result of these findings,” Donohoo told Sherdog.com on Wednesday.

Here’s another instance of GNC-type supplements supposedly screwing over a fighter, if Shamrock’s claim is true of course. Like I’ve said before, it’s not worth taking them anymore. It seems like anything and everything has traces of banned substances these days.

Luke Thomas thinks that Shamrock’s troubles aren’t “punchline worthy” any longer, and he’s right. One of the sport’s pioneers is fighting well past his prime, embarrassing himself in the process, and tarnishing his legacy with his actions outside of the cage while everyone is sitting back and watching. It’s sad to see.

Evening News and Notes: “Wargods” Fighter Salaries, Shields-Riggs Not Official & More


David “Tank” Abbott. Photo by Esther Lin/EliteXC.

Here are your news and notes for the evening of February 19, 2009.

  • The California State Athletic Commission today released the official list of fighter salaries stemming from last weekend’s Wargods and KSP co-promoted “Valentine’s Eve Massacre” event. The show’s headliner, Ken Shamrock, earned $25,000 for his first-round submission win over Ross Clifton. David “Tank” Abbott, who Shamrock may be matched up against at another Wargods event later this year, earned $20,000 for his 29-second knockout of Mike Bourke.

  • Despite Strikeforce officials and Ken Pavia saying different, former EliteXC welterweight champion Jake Shields tells MMANews.com that his reported bout against Joe Riggs for April has not yet been signed. “Well, nothing is signed right now but it is a good possibility that it is going to happen.” Shields told the website via text message. “If it does go through, I think it will be a good, exciting fight.”

  • Massachusetts-based World Championship Fighting has announced that it has produced its first television program, WCF Rewind, which will debut on Comcast SportsNet New England on Sunday, March 1st at 6:30 PM. The half-hour program is said to feature intimate and gritty portraits of some of the region’s most exciting up and coming mixed martial artists as they prepare for their WCF bouts.

  • Shamrock, Tank End Losing Streaks


    Ken Shamrock. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

    Ken Shamrock and Tank Abbott both ended their respective losing streaks with wins at the Wargods and KSP co-promoted “Valentine’s Eve Massacre” show on Friday night in Fresno, California.

    Shamrock floored replacement opponent Ross Clifton with a right hand just seconds into their bout before finishing him off with an armbar moments later in the first round. Abbott put his infamous knockout power on display, putting Mike Bourke down for the count with a right hand just 29 seconds into their featured attraction. The two MMA pioneers will now likely clash in a showdown later this year that could mark the final professional bout for both fighters.

    Complete results from the event:

    Ken Shamrock def. Ross Clifton - Submission (Armbar)
    Tank Abbott def. Mike Bourke - KO (Punch)
    Josh Haynes def. Rafael Real - Split Decision
    Mike Moreno def. Gary Padilla - Unanimous Decision
    Ron Kessler def. Darrin Freeman - Unanimous Decision
    Zoila Frausto def. Karina Hallinan - Split Decision
    Issac de Jesus def. Ashe Bowman - Unanimous Decision
    Rick Reeves def. Nathan James - Submission (Rear-Naked Choke)

    Shamrock, Abbott to Headline WarGods and KSP Event on February 13


    David “Tank” Abbott. Photo by Esther Lin/EliteXC.

    FRESNO –  WarGods and Ken Shamrock Productions (KSP) are hosting a spectacular MMA event Feb 13th at the Fresno Arena – The Valentine’s Eve Massacre.  The event will be the first of a string of shows being set up in 2009 between the two promotions and featuring fights long overdue.

    One of these will possibly include a match up in the final stages of negotiations between Ken Shamrock and Tank Abbott slated for the end of April in Reno, Nevada.  Their rivalry dates back years, it is well publicized and a fight between the two was only a matter of time.  Ken Shamrock said it best “There are a lot of fans that have followed this for years, die hard fans, who want to see this and reminisce a little bit.”  Wargods and KSP are making 2009 the year of the legends.

    Due to unforeseen injuries changes have been made to the Feb 13th card - Ken Shamrock’s original opponent has been changed to Ross Clifton.  The David and Goliath match up will be interesting to say the least and Ken’s son Ryan Shamrock will not be able to compete, but will be back on the next card.

    Continue reading "Shamrock, Abbott to Headline WarGods and KSP Event on February 13"

    Ken Shamrock: “I’m Fighting Bo Cantrell in February”


    Ken Shamrock. Photo by Esther Lin/EliteXC.

    Mixed martial arts pioneer and UFC Hall-of-Famer Ken Shamrock will apparently return to action at a co-promoted event between Wargods MMA and Ken Shamrock Productions on February 13 at the Selland Arena in Fresno, California.

    In a recent interview with TheGarv.com, Shamrock revealed that he would be taking on EliteXC veteran Bo Cantrell in the show’s main event:

    I’m fighting Bo Cantrell. The original plan was to fight John Marsh but he couldn’t get ready in time. So Bo Cantrell was another opponent that we also thought would be a good fight and he stepped up to the plate.

    Continue reading "Ken Shamrock: “I’m Fighting Bo Cantrell in February”"

    CKA for December 2, 2008

    WEC Lightweight Champion Jamie Varner.  Photo courtesy of the WEC.


    WEC 38 made official

    WEC has announced that their next event following tomorrow night’s show will take place in San Diego on January 25, 2009. 

    World Extreme Cagefighting® today announced that for the first event of 2009, the cage will head west to the hotbed of mixed martial arts - California - to hold the first ever WEC® event in San Diego. Two blockbuster matchups will lead the main card, with the World Lightweight Championship fight between Jamie Varner and undefeated Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone as the main event, and the mega-rematch pitting Urijah Faber against Jens Pulver in the co-main event.  World Extreme Cagefighting, featuring Varner vs. Cerrone and Faber vs. Pulver 2, takes place live from the San Diego Sports Arena on Sunday, January 25, 2009.

    Aoki vs Alvarez on NYE?

    Continue reading "CKA for December 2, 2008"

    Shamrock Releases Statement on Kimbo Fight


    Ken Shamrock. Photo by Esther Lin/EliteXC.

    After being forced to withdrawal from his scheduled headlining bout against Kimbo Slice at last weekend’s EliteXC event in Florida due to a cut suffered shortly before the show, UFC Hall-of-Famer Ken Shamrock has released a statement regarding the events that took place.

    The statement in full:

    Open Letter From Ken Shamrock on CBS Fight

    On October 4th, I was set to fight Kimbo Slice on the EliteXC/CBS Saturday Night Fights in a highly anticipated event. Unfortunately, because of a training accident and the intervention of the Florida State Boxing Commission, our fight did not happen.  I suffered a cut above my left eye that required six stitches, and the cut was significant enough to cause the Florida State Boxing Commission to refuse to allow me to fight.

    The scheduled bout with Kimbo on the EliteXC/CBS Saturday Night Fight card was a great opportunity, and it is unfortunate that I was unable to face Kimbo as planned. I want to apologize to all of my fans, and to the EliteXC and CBS executives who worked so hard to put this fight together.  I also want to apologize to Kimbo, Bas Rutten and their entire camp for what happened. I recognize that I put them in a very bad situation, particularly Kimbo. It’s difficult to walk into the ring after training for one opponent only to find out hours before the fight that you have to face some you don’t know or have never seen fight.

    Continue reading "Shamrock Releases Statement on Kimbo Fight"

    More on the EliteXC Payment Controversy


    Seth Petruzelli. Photo by Esther Lin/CombatLifestyle.com.

    The fallout from EliteXC’s “Heat” show this past weekend seems to be calming down, but the accusations that the organization may have attempted to bribe Seth Petruzelli to keep his fight with Kimbo Slice standing with an extra bonus are just heating up.

    In his first response since Petruzelli’s revelation and quick retraction of his comments yesterday on an Orlando, Florida radio station, EliteXC Head of Fight Operations Jeremy Lappen has denied offering any kind of payment to Petruzelli in a report by Sherdog.com.

    “Obviously we didn’t pay [Petruzelli] to stand,” Lappen is quoted as saying. “Kimbo had trained for months to fight a guy who’s fighting on the ground. We don’t care if people stand or take people down or what. It doesn’t matter to us. All we want is an exciting fight.”

    Continue reading "More on the EliteXC Payment Controversy"

    Page 1 of 5 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›