After three straight wins over a trio of the UFC's toughest and most durable lightweights, including a first-round TKO of Donald Cerrone at UFC on FOX 6 last night, former WEC champion Anthony Pettis is content to wait for a shot at the UFC lightweight belt if a crack at it is set in stone for him.
"If it's a guaranteed title shot, I'm waiting," Pettis said at the event's post-fight press conference. "That's what my goals are. It's one of my goals this year. If it's next, I'm going to wait, get better and get what's mine."
Pettis has been guaranteed a UFC title shot once before. As the last reigning WEC lightweight champion, Pettis was slated to meet the winner of a January 2011 title fight between then champion Frankie Edgar and rival Gray Maynard.
Alistair Overeem. Photo courtesy of Showtime Sports.
The semifinal round of Strikeforce's heavyweight grand prix tournament will reportedly take place at a yet-to-be-named location on September 10.
A pair of matchups pitting Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem against Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva and Josh Barnett against Sergei Kharitonov are what remain of the eight-man field.
According to MMAJunkie.com, four other bouts are also rumored for the card, including a Strikeforce middleweight title defense between champion Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza and Luke Rockhold as well as the promotional debut of Maximo Blanco, who will face Josh Thomson.
Scott Coker. Photo by Esther Lin/AllElbows.com.
After weeks of speculation from media outlets and silence from Strikeforce, the organization officially announced today that it has postponed the remaining quarterfinals of its heralded heavyweight grand prix tournament.
Alistair Overeem vs. Fabricio Werdum and Josh Barnett vs. Brett Rogers will now take place on June 18 at the American Airlines Center in Dallas, TX. In addition, Strikeforce's planned April 9 event is now loaded with a pair of title fights - Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez defending in a rematch against Tatsuya Kawajiri and welterweight king Nick Diaz facing Paul Daley.
It looks like April 9 will be a success for the promotion after all, but the momentum gained from the start of the tournament last month has surely been lost. So why did things get pushed back anyway?
Josh Barnett weighs-in for PRIDE 32: The Real Deal. Photo property of PRIDE FC Worldwide.
DREAM has announced that PRIDE veteran Josh Barnett will be returning to the ring March 22 at DREAM 13 at Yokohama Arena in Yokohama, Japan. According to the report, Barnett’s promotional debut will come against K-1 slugger Siala “Mighty Mo” Siliga.
Barnett was scheduled to face Fedor Emelianenko on August 1, 2009 at Affliction: Trilogy but both the bout and event were cancelled after Barnett tested positive for anabolic steroids.
Josh Barnett. Photos by Gene Blevins/Golden Boy Promotions.
Josh Barnett and his management team, Excel Sports Management, have released an official statement to the media regarding Barnett’s recent positive test for steroids under the watch of the California State Athletic Commission.
It marks the first time that Barnett has addressed the media since the test results forced the abrupt cancellation of Affliction’s “Trilogy” show and the subsequent folding of the promotion last week. The complete unedited statement is available after the jump.
Seal Beach, CA - The highly anticipated fight between Fedor Emelianenko and Josh Barnett at the Affliction Trilogy MMA show has been cancelled. The mega fight was scheduled to take place at the Honda Center in Anaheim on August 1st. The unforeseen license denial of Josh Barnett gave Affliction limited time to find a replacement and adequately promote the new main event.
Snapshot courtesy of Affliction Entertainment.
Tom Atencio, president of Affliction MMA, has confirmed reports that Josh Barnett has been forced to withdraw from his Aug. 1st bout with Fedor Emelianenko.
Atencio spoke with AOL’s MMA FanHouse where he said, “He tested positive for a banned substance. The athletic commission will not reinstate his license. Him and Fedor is off.”
Josh Barnett. Photos by Gene Blevins/Golden Boy Promotions.
It looks like the epic heavyweight showdown between Fedor Emelianenko and Josh Barnett may be in serious jeopardy. According to reports, Barnett’s pre-fight drug test, administered by the California State Athletic Commission, may have come back with positive results.
Sherdog.com spoke with Barnett, who said, “I took my test three weeks ago. I would have thought I would have heard something by now. No matter what happens with this. I can assure you I will clear my name. This will not be something that I am defined by.”
Seal Beach, CA - Watching Fedor Emelianenko “made me nervous tonight,” said Josh Barnett about Fedor’s bout with Andrei Arlovski at Afflictions “Day of Reckoning”. Barnett will face Fedor on August 1st at Affliction M-1 Global’s “Trilogy.” He is probably wondering, like all fight fans and fighters on earth: can Fedor be beaten or is he invincible? The single loss on Fedor’s record is often disregarded as evidence of his vulnerability, since it was due to a cut resulting from an accidental (and illegal) elbow by Tsuyoshi Kohsaka. Even with this one debatable blemish on his record (he went on to later beat Kohsaka in a follow-up match), Fedor is the most revered heavyweight in the world by fighters and fans alike.
Affliction Entertainment today officially announced their third-ever event, “Trilogy”, which will take place on Saturday, August 1 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, California. As expected, the show will be headlined by a much-anticipated heavyweight clash between Fedor Emelianenko and Josh Barnett.
The poster for the event can be seen at Affliction’s official website.
While no other fights on the card have been confirmed, some heavily rumored matchups include former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia facing Paul Buentello, Jay Hieron going up against Paul Daley and a previously scheduled bout between Chris Horodecki and Dan Lauzon.