Nate Loughran. Photo courtesy of the Palace Fighting Championship.
Nate Loughran, a protege of former UFC middleweight title challenger David Terrell, has successfully requested his release from the Ultimate Fighting Championship after posting a 1-1 record in the promotion last year. According to his manager, Loughran plans to drop to the welterweight division from middleweight and fight in some smaller shows before likely returning to the UFC in the near future. [MMA Weekly]
Former EliteXC heavyweight standout Brett Rogers has reportedly been informed by Strikeforce officials that he may be part of the promotion’s April 11 event in San Jose, California. Rogers last competed at EliteXC’s “Primetime” event last May, where he scored a first-round knockout of Jon Murphy. [Five Ounces of Pain]
Longtime kickboxing standout Rick Roufus will reportedly take on former boxing heavyweight title challenger and undefeated mixed martial artist Jeremy Williams in the main of the World Cagefighting Alliance’s second-ever event on May 8 in Atlantic City, New Jersey. [Five Ounces of Pain]
Photo by Tom Casino/EliteXC.
Hometown favorite Kala Kolohe Hose captured the vacant ICON Sport middleweight title with a fifth round stoppage of UFC and PRIDE veteran Phil Baroni in what turned out to be an exhausting war for both fighters and those in attendance inside the Neal S. Blaisdell Center in downtown Honolulu, Hawaii.
Going against his traditional style, Baroni immediately shot in for a takedown to start the fight. Swiftly transitioning back and forth between half-guard and side control, Baroni easily controlled Hose and landed strikes from the top position while his opponent squirmed around, looking for some way to get the fight back up to the feet.
As the round progressed, Baroni visibly began to lose steam, allowing Hose to mount a small attack from the bottom and at least give the judges something to think about during the break.
Baroni scored another takedown at the start of the second round but found himself trying to fight off a kimura midway through. Baroni eventually let Hose stand up and the two exchanged on the feet for the first time in the fight. Baroni tried for another takedown moments later but Hose was able to stuff it and wound up on top. Hose pounded on Baroni but his attack was halted after being warned for an illegal punch to the back of Baroni’s head moments before the round ended.
“Coming into the fight, I knew Baroni had been working on his wrestling a lot,” Hose said after the fight. “When I would grapple in the gym, we would constantly work on my back, different submissions and standing back up.”
Icon Sport has officially announced that their new middleweight champion Robbie Lawler will defend his belt June 30th when he faces tough Hawaiian brawler Kala Kolohe Hose.
Icon Sport MW Champion Robbie Lawler sports a MMA record of 14-4 and a Icon Sport record of 3-1. Lawler recently won back his middleweight title when he knocked out UFC and PRIDE veteran Frank Trigg late in their five round title fight.
Kala Kolohe Hose sports a MMA record of 3-1. Hose lost his first MMA bout to IFL veteran Reese Andy but since then he has gone 3-0 with all of his fights ending by KO.
Icon Sport: Fearless
Tentative fight card:
Robbie Lawler vs. Kala Kolohe Hose
Renato Verissimo vs. TBD
Mark Oshiro vs. Tony Rodriguez
Bronsen Pieper vs. Sadhu Bott
Poai Suganuma vs. Richard Desforge
Jeremy Williams vs. Mike Malone
Mark Kurano vs. Jose Diaz
Tyson Nam vs. Devon Chong
Kaleo Kwan vs. Jeremy Castro
Wayne Parrin vs. TBD
Keoni Bryant vs. TBD
News and Notes
- Icon Sport will be holding an event February 9th and the headline bout will be a battle between UFC and Pride veteran “Ruthless” Robbie Lawler and Trevor Garret. Also on the card will be Renato Verissimo, Jeremy Williams, and Scott Junk.
- UFC veterans Justin Eilers and Pedro Rizzo will fight March 9th at the American Airline Center. The fight will take place in the new organization dubbed the ‘International Fighters Association’ and it will be televised on HDNet. HDNet previously televised the WEC until it was purchased by the UFC and moved to Versus. The matchmaker will be UFC and Pride veteran Guy Metzger and the ring announcer will be Bruce Buffer. Here is the current card…
Pedro Rizzo vs. Justin Eilers
Carlo Prater vs. Dennis Levensky
Alex Andrade vs. Klas Akesson
Matt Grice vs. Yuki Inoue
Buddy Clinton vs. Kenneth Rosfort
Eric Schambari vs. Christian Smith
Justin Wren vs. Trent Standing
Alonozo Martinez vs. Tom East
Sonny Neilson vs. Travis Bush
- MMAWeekly has Luke Cummo vs. Josh Haynes and Wilson Gouveia vs. Hector Ramirez rumored for the UFC Fight Night 10 card on April 5th. Also rumored to be on the card is Josh Koscheck and Kendall Grove.
- Mitsuhiro Ishida has vacated his Shooto Pacific Rim 154-pound championship title.
- In an article on the TKO homepage, UFC matchmaker confirmed that Mark Hominick and Sam Stout would be back in the UFC in the New Year.
With only nine days remaining until the Icon Sport: Unstoppable card it has been announced that UFC and Pride veteran Robbie Lawler has been forced to withdraw from his fight due to an injured hand.
It has also been announced that Golden Gloves Hall of Fame boxer Jeremy Williams will make his MMA debut on the Icon card. Williams was previously scheduled to appear on WFA: King of the Streets 2 but with the event being postponed Williams has taken the opportunity to make his debut in Hawaii.