Alex Schoenauer. Photo courtesy of the International Fight League.
The Palace Fighting Championship announced earlier this week that it has signed a total of eighteen fighters to it’s roster in recent days. Among the new signees are multiple UFC and WEC veterans including Alex Schoenauer, Gabe Ruediger, Jason Von Flue, and Lodune Sincaid.
“I’m very excited to be able to bring in the talent we’re announcing,” PFC President Christian Printup said in a press release. “We have said from the beginning that we’re not here to take over the sport, consciously take away from anyone’s market share, or anything like that. We just focus on making the PFC the best we can and this is another step in the process.”
According to Printup, many of the new fighters will debut at PFC 11 on November 20th. The show will take place at the Tachi Palace Hotel & Casino in Lemoore, California.
Jason Von Flue. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
Ultimate Fighting Championship veteran Jason Von Flue snapped a four-fight losing streak with a first-round submission of Bryson Kamaka at PureCombat’s “Hardcore” event, which took place Friday night at the Visalia Convention Center in California.
Even though Von Flue came away as the victor, it was Kamaka that looked to have the fight in hand from the start. Kamaka dropped Von Flue with a right halfway through round one and followed up with punches on the ground that prompted the referee to keep an extremely close eye on the action. However Von Flue survived the onslaught and dropped back for a kneebar, which forced Kamaka to tap out.
Also victorious on the card was Scott Lighty, who was recently featured along with teammate Glover Teixeira in TapouT’s reality show on Versus, used his K-1 kickboxing skils to earn a unanimous decision over Kawika Morton.
“Ultimate Fighter” cast member Lodune Sincaid was withdrawn from the card due to unknown reasons. He was replaced by journeyman B.J. Lacy, who was submitted by a returning Emanuel Newton in the second round of the night’s main event.
Jason Von Flue. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
One-time “Ultimate Fighter” cast members Lodune Sincaid and Jason Von Flue will both return to action tomorrow night at PureCombat’s scheduled “Hardcore” event at the Visalia Convention Center in Visalia, California.
Sincaid, who has won four out of his last six bouts, will be taking on Emanuel Newton, who brings an eight-fight undefeated streak into the bout. Sincaid most recently submitted Rafael Real at a Palace Fighting Championships event in May while Newton last competed at an IFL show last year, submitting Jeff Quinlan.
Von Flue will attempt to snap a four-fight losing streak against Hawaii native Bryson Kamaka. Both fighters have struggled greatly as of late. Von Flue has racked up a 1-4 record since being released from the UFC two years ago while Kamaka hasn’t won consecutive bouts since 2005.
The card will also feature two fighters with ties to former UFC light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell. Scott Lighty, one of Liddell’s training partners, will attempt to stay undefeated against Kawika Morton, while Chuck’s younger brother, Dan will make his professional MMA debut against Charles Hodges.
Carlos Condit. Photo property of World Extreme Cagefighting.
Here’s a little recap of what went on this past weekend, starting with Carlos Condit reportedly signing a contract extension with World Extreme Cagefighting according to USA Today‘s Sergio Non. The new deal comes after Condit’s most recent victory over Carlo Prater in February. The fight against Prater was Condit’s second to last fight on his previous deal. Condit expects the new deal to kick in with a potential fight in August against an opponent yet to be named.
The promotion also confirmed two additional bouts for their next scheduled event on June 1st in Sacramento, California over the weekend via their official website. A rumored bantamweight title bout between champion Miguel Torres and injury replacement Yoshiro Maeda has been made official as well as Mark Munoz’s WEC debut against fellow newcomer Chuck Grigsby.
UFC Releases Travis Lutter
Fresh off of his disappointing loss to former UFC middleweight champion Rich Franklin at UFC 83 last weekend, Travis Lutter, the middleweight winner of the fourth season of “The Ultimate Fighter”, has been released from his contract by the UFC. The news was first reported by Pramit Mohapatra of Fight Ticker and has since been confirmed by Lutter himself, who stated that his agent received a call Sunday morning informing him of his release due to consecutive losses in his last two fights.
Report: Southworth-Ruiz Rematch Possible for June
Bobby Southworth, one of the cast members on the original season of “The Ultimate Fighter” will attempt to avenge a recent loss to Anthony Ruiz at Strikeforce’s upcoming planned event in June according to MMA Mania. The two fought in November - Ruiz scored a TKO win over Southworth after the UFC veteran suffered a fight-ending cut over his left eye early in the second round.
However Southworth remains Strikeforce’s world light heavyweight champion due to the fight being a non-title bout. It’s unknown whether or not the belt will be on the line in June. Southworth has not fought since losing to Ruiz. Meanwhile Ruiz has recorded back-to-back wins over Jimmy Ambriz and Brad Imes since then.
Pete Spratt. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
Pete Spratt and Jason Von Flue, both veterans of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, will collide in a welterweight bout that will headline the Ultimate Warrior Challenge’s latest show tomorrow night at George Mason University’s Patriot Center in Washington D.C.
Longtime mixed martial arts veteran John Lewis, who was recently named President of the promotion, will be promoting the show.
Spratt is coming off of a controversial loss to Ryan Ford at a Maximum Fighting Championship event in February. Spratt was caught with two illegal right hands after time expired to end the first round. However Ford and referee Herb Dean were unaware that the round had ended
A stunned Spratt remained on the canvas for almost a minute and a half before finally making his way back to his corner. He was allotted a full five minutes in order to regain his composure but Spratt was unable to get his bearings back for the second round. Ford eventually submitted Spratt with a rear naked choke to end the fight minutes later.
Von Flue has lost his last three fights, most recently being stopped by IFL veteran Brett Cooper at a Pure Combat event in December. Special guests expected to be at the event include Andrei Arlovski, Quinton “Rampage” Jackson, Frank Trigg, Carlos Condit, and Hermes Franca.
The complete fight card for the event is as follows:
Pete Spratt vs. Jason Von Flue
Aaron Riley vs. Thiago Minu
Thomas Schulte vs. Zach Light
Carlo Prater vs. Marcelo Brito
Rex Richards vs. Antwain Britt
Marcus Foran vs. Tenyah Dixon
Mike Corey vs. Dwayne Shelton
Johnny Curtis vs. Josh Feldman
Gerald Lovato vs. Mike Easton
Reshad Woods vs. Ron Stallings
Above Showtime Sports asks away with Frank Shamrock. A total of 42 questions in all, rapid fire.
For those who don’t have Showtime and are still interested in seeing Shamrock vs Cung Le this Saturday night, Sho.com will be streaming the fight live at approximately 10:15 PM ET using the Showtime Cage Cam.
Diaz, Cesar Gracie Plan Legal Action Against CSAC
One day after the California State Athletic Commission surprisingly ruled that Nick Diaz will not be permitted to fight at this weekend’s Elite Xtreme Combat and Strikeforce co-promoted “Shamrock vs Cung Le” show, because he owns a medical marijuana card, Diaz and manager Cesar Gracie are now reportedly planning to take legal action.
Gracie told MMA Weekly that he plans to take the matter to court after CSAC Executive Director Armando Garcia stated that Diaz’s participation was denied because of late filing of medical papers.
“That’s absolutely not true,” Gracie said in the report. “Because if he didn’t turn his medicals in, how did Garcia know Nick has a mariijuana card? He found out when the medicals were turned in. For some reason, Armando’s finding every excuse in the book to not let this guy fight. That’s exactly why we’re going to move forward with legal action after this. We’re going to go ahead and get our lawyers and we’re going to sit down and go forward with the proceedings. This is just discrimination, you can’t do that.”
Spratt-Von Flue Signed for April 26
Pete Spratt and Jason Von Flue, both veterans of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, will collide in a welterweight bout that will headline the Ultimate Warrior Challenge’s upcoming show on April 26th at George Mason University’s Patriot Center in Washington D.C.
Spratt is coming off of a controversial loss to Ryan Ford in February while Von Flue has dropped his last three fights. Notable fighters also on the card include Thomas Schulte, Carlo Prater, Aaron Riley, Marcelo Brito, and Zach Light.
Two Lightweights Fights Added to Sengoku II
A pair of lightweights bout have been added to World Victory Road’s next Sengoku show on May 18th: Satoru Kitaoka vs Ian James Schaffa and Eiji Mitsuoka vs Kwang Hee Lee.
Roger Gracie, Yuki Sasaki, and Yoshihiro Nakao, who was originally reported as facing Mirko Cro Cop at the recent DREAM event, are all expected to be in action. Even though his name was not mentioned, former UFC heavyweight champion Kevin Randleman has stated that he will be fighting at the show as well.
Evangelista, Sims, and Lennox In; Black Out
MMA Mania is reporting that Marlon Sims and Billy Evangelista will clash in a lightweight preliminary bout at tomorrow’s Elite Xtreme Combat and Strikeforce co-promoted “Shamrock vs Cung Le” show. However neither Strikeforce, EliteXC, or ProElite have made any sort of announcement of the fight at this hour.
It seems that Jason Black will not be fighting in the IFL after all just yet. Five Ounces of Pain reports through Nick Lembo, legal counsel for the New Jersey Athletic Control Board, that Black will not be on the card for undisclosed reasons. He will reportedly be replaced by Jesse Lennox.
APEX Fighting Championship has announced that APEX World Welterweight Champion Jeff “Inferno” Joslin will face off against UFC veteran Jason “Livewire” Von Flue at APEX: Caged Inferno which will take place January 13th, 2007.
Joslin is coming off of a quick KO victory over Nuri Shakir at APEX: A Night of Champions. Von Flue is also coming off of a victory as he submitted Eric Wray at Strikeforce: Tank vs. Buentello.
Also confirmed to be on the card is Wagnney Fabiano, Fritz “The Animal” Paul, Nabil “The Thrill” Khatib, and Shawn “The Phenom” Krysa.
Strikeforce Fighting Championship has announced that undefeated world San Shou kickboxing champion, Cung Le will face off against UFC veteran Jason “Livewire” Von Flue on the upcoming Strikeforce: Triple Threat card.
Cung Le currently sports a mixed martial arts record of 2-0 with both of his victories coming by TKO/KO in Strikeforce.
Jason Von Flue is coming off of a win over Eric Wray at the lastest Strikeforce show. He is currently 12-6-1 with the majority of his victories coming by submission.
Undefeated welterweight prospect Eric Wray will be making his Strikeforce debut October 7th as he takes on ‘The Ultimate Fighter’ contestant and UFC veteran Jason Von Flue.
The American Kickboxing Academy fighter sports a mixed martial arts record of 5-0-0 with four of his victories coming by submission.
Wray’s opponent, Jason Von Flue is currently on a two fight losing skid with losses to Joe Riggs and Luke Cummo. He’ll be looking to change that come October 7th.