Jason MacDonald

UFC 83 Trash Talk Recap


Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

While UFC 83 is now only less than a week away, the trash-talking between some of the fighters competing on the card has been going on for weeks now. James Brydon of Rogers Sportsnet has a full recap of the verbal pre-fight exchanges. He covers three of the more-vocal matchups that will go down on Saturday.

It’s interesting that a usually quiet

“Captain Miserable”

Charles McCarthy was first to speak up when it came to opponent Michael Bisping, however it might the only way McCarthy will be able to gain any kind of early advantage going into the fight, especially against someone as confident as Bisping.

In my opinion, it’s definitely Bisping’s fight to lose and I don’t see that coming even close to happening. McCarthy’s one-dimensional skill set was exposed against Pete Sell on “The Ultimate Fighter 4” and unless he’s improved ten-fold since then, he’s going to have an even worse time against Bisping.

Jason MacDonald wasn’t too keen on fighting Joe Doerksen after already beating him back in 2005, but thanks to Doerksen’s blog comments in recent weeks, I’m sure MacDonald mindset going into the fight has done a nice 180.

It’s a shame that a bout between two of Canada’s most high-profile fighters has been relegated to the undercard. Hopefully the bad blood between the two translates into an exciting fight that may have a chance of sneaking onto the PPV broadcast.

Unless you live under a rock, you know that Georges St. Pierre and Matt Serra don’t like each other. Especially after this beauty from Serra on last week’s pre-fight conference call:

“Drink your red wine, Frenchy, go to your hockey game and shut up.”

St. Pierre claimed that Serra crossed the line with that one. I love Serra’s Long Island attitude but tradtionally-speaking (Trigg, Sherk, Hughes II), a pissed off GSP isn’t exactly the guy he wants to go against.

St. Pierre, UFC Set to Invade Canada


Georges St. Pierre and Matt Serra square off at the weigh-ins for UFC 69: Shootout. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

After years of waiting, the Ultimate Fighting Championship finally made their first trek up to Canada official when they announced UFC 83: St. Pierre vs Serra II during a press conference earlier today at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec, Canada earlier this morning.

In attendance at the press conference were UFC President Dana White and current welterweight champions Georges St. Pierre and Matt Serra who will unify their belts in a main event rematch of their fight at UFC 69: Shootout last year, where Serra stopped St. Pierre with strikes to win the UFC welterweight title.

“I’m actually excited to go to Canada and fight St-Pierre in his hometown,” Serra said at the press conference earlier today. “I think this puts more pressure on him than it does me. I know he’s going to come at me hard, but I’m ready for that and I’m preparing for a great fight. I know that’s what I would do if a guy knocked me out like that. But I plan on staying the champ and taking my belt back home to Long Island.”

St. Pierre, a native of Montreal, will be fighting in front of his hometown under the UFC banner for the first time in his career. After originally speculating that St. Pierre would not be ready in time for the event due to his bout against Matt Hughes in December, St. Pierre came away with the interim welterweight belt relatively unscathed, allowing him to partake in the historic event.

“I am at the same point as I was last year when I fought Matt Serra, except this time I am fighting as the contender not the champion,” said St-Pierre. “It’s a dream come true to have this historic UFC event in Canada, I’ve waited my whole life for this opportunity, and especially fighting for – and winning – the world title in front of my people.”

Continue reading "St. Pierre, UFC Set to Invade Canada"

UFC Signs MacDonald to Four-Fight Deal


Jason MacDonald submits Joe Doerksen with a rear naked choke at UCW 3. Photo courtesy of Team MacDonald.

The Ultimate Fighting Championship has signed middleweight Jason MacDonald to a new four-fight contract, which will go into effect when MacDonald goes up against Joe Doerksen in a rematch of their October 2005 bout when the UFC ventures into Canada for the first time in history on April 19th for UFC 83.

MacDonald announced the news via his blog on our partner site, Rogers Sportsnet.

“I signed a new contract this week, which gives me some peace of mind,” wrote MacDonald. “It’s a four-fight deal and comes at a good time because I was going into the last fight of my old contract. Facing the last fight of a contract always puts on a bit of extra pressure to perform. I still want to perform of course, but now I know I have a little job security. So the next fight in Montreal will be the first of my new deal.”

MacDonald and Doerksen met before in the main event of UCW 3: Caged Inferno in October 2005. The two went back and forth over four rounds before MacDonald was finally able to submit Doerksen with a rear naked choke with only 23 seconds left in the round.

Since then they have each gone on to win seven more bouts each. Doerksen failed at an opporunity to win the WEC middleweight belt when he was stopped by Paulo Filho this past summer and was then upset by Ed Herman at UFC 78. MacDonald is coming off a unanimous decision loss to Yushin Okami at UFC 77. 

MacDonald-Doerksen Not Signed


Jason MacDonald submits Joe Doerksen with a rear naked choke at UCW 3. Photo courtesy of Team MacDonald.

Jason MacDonald and Joe Doerksen might still fight when the UFC ventures into Canada for the first time in history on April 19th but nothing is official as of right now, at least according to MacDonald.

The Fight Network passed along a report on Sunday stating that Joe Doerksen had signed on to face MacDonald in April. However James Brydon from our partner-site Rogers Sportsnet, spoke to MacDonald and learned that bout agreements have not been signed, although MacDonald is aware of the opponents that have been offered to him.

MacDonald and Doerksen met before in the main event of UCW 3: Caged Inferno in October 2005. The two went back and forth over four rounds before MacDonald was finally able to submit Doerksen with a rear naked choke with only 23 seconds left in the round.

Since then they have each gone on to win seven more bouts each. Doerksen failed at an opporunity to win the WEC middleweight belt when he was stopped by Paulo Filho this past summer and was then upset by Ed Herman at UFC 78. MacDonald is coming off a unanimous decision loss to Yushin Okami at UFC 77.

MacDonald and Doerksen to Rematch in April


Jason MacDonald submits Joe Doerksen with a rear naked choke at UCW 3. Photo courtesy of Team MacDonald.

Middleweights Jason MacDonald and Joe Doerksen may fight each other for the second time when the UFC ventures into Canada for the first time in history on April 19th.

The news comes from a report by RDS which quotes TKO President Stephane Patry stating that the fight will happen. We haven’t been able to confirm the fight with MacDonald or our partner site, Rogers Sportsnet as of yet.

MacDonald and Doerksen met before in the main event of UCW 3: Caged Inferno in October 2005. The two went back and forth over four rounds before MacDonald was finally able to submit Doerksen with a rear naked choke with only 23 seconds left in the round.

Since then they have each gone on to win seven more bouts each. Doerksen failed at an opporunity to win the WEC middleweight belt when he was stopped by Paulo Filho this past summer and was then upset by Ed Herman at UFC 78. MacDonald is coming off a unanimous decision loss to Yushin Okami at UFC 77.

Patry also stated in the article that Patrick Cote and Sam Stout will most likely fight at the event as well pending the outcome of their upcoming fights.

Touch of gloves to our friends at MMA Junkie for the find.

Update 5:30 PM: The Fight Network has confirmed the fight with Joe Doerksen. Thanks to reader “mmaanalyst” for the heads-up.

UFC Prepared to Head North

Among the many items that were discussed at yesterday’s pre-fight press conference for UFC 79 was the promotion’s possible trek up to Canada for an event next year.

Well it looks like hoping and guessing is not needed anymore. According to UFC president Dana White, the UFC will hold an event in Canada in April.

“I knew this question was coming,” said White when asked about the UFC coming to Canada. “Yeah, we’re coming to Canada in April and regardless of what happens Saturday night, we’d love to have Georges St. Pierre on the card.”

Rogers Sportsnet has video on the announcement. Steve Cofield has audio.

When asked for an official date, White stated that a date was set but he “didn’t know it off the top of his head”. The event is expected to take place at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec.

Jason MacDonald has already stated that he’s booked for the event. Scott White has learned that Jonathan Goulet will partake in the festivities as well.

MacDonald: “I’m Fighting in Canada in April”

UFC middleweight contender Jason MacDonald has revealed that UFC matchmaker Joe Silva informed him that he would be needed to compete in April when the UFC makes it’s debut in Canada.

MacDonald posted the information in his weekly blog on Rogers Sportsnet”

I was told last week that my next fight will be in April. Joe Silva (the UFC matchmaker) told me they want to save me for the April card in Montreal.

I don’t know the date or an opponent or even if it will for sure be in Montreal. But he said he needed me on the Canadian card.

I was slightly disappointed to have to wait until April to fight again, but in hindsight it might be good because I’m pretty busy these days. I don’t even know if I can squeeze in a couple hours of training a day.

MacDonald is coming off of an unanimous decision loss to Yushin Okami at UFC 77 last month. MacDonald is 3-2 so far in the UFC. His three wins have from against alumni of The Ultimate Fighter: Ed Herman, Rory Singer, and Chris Leben. His other loss came at the hands of former UFC Middleweight Champion Rich Franklin at UFC 68 earlier this year.

UFC 77 Fighter Salaries

The Ohio Athletic Commission has released the official fighter salaries for UFC 77: Hostile Territory:

Tim Sylvia: $200,000
Anderson Silva: $120,000
Brandon Vera: $100,000
Rich Franklin: $45,000
Stephan Bonnar: $44,000
Yushin Okami: $24,000
Alan Belcher: $22,000
Josh Burkman: $20,000
Jason MacDonald: $17,000
Demian Maia: $10,000
Jason Black: $8,000
Jorge Gurgel: $7,000
Kalib Starnes $7,000
Eric Schafer: $6,000
Alvin Robinson: $6,000
Forrest Petz: $6,000
Matt Grice: $6,000
Ryan Jensen: $4,000

Total Payroll: $652,000

Break It Down: UFC 77

MMA on Tap writers Scott White and John Chandler break down UFC 77: Hostile Territory fight-by-fight in the debut of the site’s newest column.

UFC 77 features a total of nine fights including the highly anticipated rematch between Anderson Silva and Rich Franklin for the UFC Middleweight Title as well as a battle between heavyweight contenders Tim Sylvia and Brandon Vera.

Continue reading "Break It Down: UFC 77"

UFC 72: Victory Preview

Here is a preview we put together for UFC 72: Victory.

Main Card Bouts:
Rich Franklin vs. Yushin Okami
Forrest Griffin vs. Hector Ramirez
Tyson Griffin vs. Clay Guida
Jason MacDonald vs. Rory Singer
Ed Herman vs. Scott Smith

Preliminary Bouts:
Marcus Davis vs. Jason Tan
Eddie Sanchez vs. Colin Robinson
Dustin Hazelett vs. Stevie Lynch

Also be sure to tune in at 3 PM EST as we’ll be doing one of our patented ‘Live Blogs’ for the PPV.

Continue reading "UFC 72: Victory Preview"

Page 3 of 5 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 >