News and Notes
- Icon Sport will be holding an event February 9th and the headline bout will be a battle between UFC and Pride veteran “Ruthless” Robbie Lawler and Trevor Garret. Also on the card will be Renato Verissimo, Jeremy Williams, and Scott Junk.
- UFC veterans Justin Eilers and Pedro Rizzo will fight March 9th at the American Airline Center. The fight will take place in the new organization dubbed the ‘International Fighters Association’ and it will be televised on HDNet. HDNet previously televised the WEC until it was purchased by the UFC and moved to Versus. The matchmaker will be UFC and Pride veteran Guy Metzger and the ring announcer will be Bruce Buffer. Here is the current card…
Pedro Rizzo vs. Justin Eilers
Carlo Prater vs. Dennis Levensky
Alex Andrade vs. Klas Akesson
Matt Grice vs. Yuki Inoue
Buddy Clinton vs. Kenneth Rosfort
Eric Schambari vs. Christian Smith
Justin Wren vs. Trent Standing
Alonozo Martinez vs. Tom East
Sonny Neilson vs. Travis Bush
- MMAWeekly has Luke Cummo vs. Josh Haynes and Wilson Gouveia vs. Hector Ramirez rumored for the UFC Fight Night 10 card on April 5th. Also rumored to be on the card is Josh Koscheck and Kendall Grove.
- Mitsuhiro Ishida has vacated his Shooto Pacific Rim 154-pound championship title.
- In an article on the TKO homepage, UFC matchmaker confirmed that Mark Hominick and Sam Stout would be back in the UFC in the New Year.
Welcome to the first edition of Coffee and Kick Ass, a new morning column that will include a variety of news and articles, or whatever else is going on in the MMA world.
News and Notes
- Seth Petruzelli has announced via his MySpace page that his fight at UFC Fight Night 8 on January 25th has been cancelled. Petruzelli was scheduled to face Hector Ramirez but Ramirez was forced to pull out after suffering an ankle injury during training.
- Remember to tune into ‘Inside the UFC’ tonight at 12 AM EST on Spike TV as Randy Couture will be making his “big” announcement. Reports have already surfaced stating that Couture will coming out of retirement to fight Tim Sylvia for the UFC heavyweight title.
- Lodune Sincaid has confirmed that he be fighting on the upcoming January 20th WEC card. His opponent at this time is still unknown.
- Yesterday on MMAWeekly Radio, MMA agent Ken Pavia reported that Ivan Salaverry is tentatively scheduled to fight on the April UFC card.
- Frank Trigg will defend his newly acquired Icon Sport middleweight title April 7th against UFC and PRIDE veteran “Ruthless” Robbie Lawler.
- On the note of Robbie Lawler, it is expected that he will appear on the PRIDE USA show scheduled for sometime in June.
- Joe Doerksen will be making his PRIDE debut April 28th, 2007. At this time his opponent currently unknown.
InsideFighting: It’s do or die for Phil Baroni, and he’s “not ready to die”
MMAFighting.com: Lodune Sincaid Q & A
UFC Junkie: An Interview with Sean Salmon
Here are the results from Icon Sport: Mayhem vs. Trigg.
- Bronsen Pieper def. Vinny Delos Santos - TKO
- Sadhu Bott def. Lorenzo Moreno - Decision (Unanimous)
- Maui Wolfgram def. Ben Fonoti - Submission (Armbar)
- Ron Verdadero def. Kekoa Baker - TKO
- Paul Gorman def. Ikaika Silva - Submission (Armbar)
- Chris Cisneras def. David Padilla - Submission (Armbar)
- Marshall Harvest def. Kyle Miyahana - Decision (Unanimous)
- Mark Oshiro def. Tyson Nam - TKO
- Jeremy Williams def. Ron Fields - Submission (Strikes)
- Sidney Silva def. Jay Jack - Submission (Triangle Choke)
- Frank Trigg def. Jason Miller - TKO (Soccer Kicks)
With only nine days remaining until the Icon Sport: Unstoppable card it has been announced that UFC and Pride veteran Robbie Lawler has been forced to withdraw from his fight due to an injured hand.
It has also been announced that Golden Gloves Hall of Fame boxer Jeremy Williams will make his MMA debut on the Icon card. Williams was previously scheduled to appear on WFA: King of the Streets 2 but with the event being postponed Williams has taken the opportunity to make his debut in Hawaii.
UFC, Pride and WFA veteran and current Pride commentator Frank “Twinkle Toes” Trigg will make his return to MMA December 1st at the Blaisdell Arena in Honolulu, Hawaii after a short lived retirement.
Frank Trigg has had an illustrious career in which fans saw him earn the welterweight title in the WFA and number one contender status in the UFC. Trigg has participated in mixed martial arts competition all over the world and he is also a decorated wrestler. Trigg’s resume is host to some impressive names such as Matt Hughes x2, Georges St. Pierre, Dennis Hallman x2, Renato Verissimo, among others. Trigg’s brash personality makes him a hit among MMA fans.
Trigg kicked off his MMA career back in 1997 when he fought in the Unified Shoot Wrestling Federation 7. Trigg was forced to fight three fights in one night but showing true fighting spirit, Trigg finished every one of his opponents in the first round.
Trigg’s first big break came in November of 1999 when Pride Fighting Championships decided to sign him. Trigg was given the chance to fight Fabiano Iha at PRIDE 8 and he made easy work of the Huntington Beach native TKO’ing him late in the first round.
Trigg had a few more fights before the newly formed World Fighting Alliance contacted him in regards to fighting for their welterweight title. Trigg spent a year with the organization where he fought three times holding the welterweight title during that stint.
Trigg’s strong performance ended up being enough as he finally received the call from the UFC to fight Matt Hughes for the welterweight championship. Trigg ended up getting two shots at Hughes for the title but unfortunately for him he came up short both times and that ended up being the beginning of the end for Mr. Trigg in the UFC.
Things went bad for Trigg after the UFC took action and released him from their roster. After losing two straight fights to the best fighters the UFC had to offer Trigg was visibly shook and he was forced to sit back and re-evaluate his stance on fighting.
About five months are being released from the UFC, Trigg signed to participate in the Rumble on the Rock welterweight tournament.
Trigg was able to put his career back on track during his quarter-final match as he disposed of the very tough Ronald Jhun winning via a judge’s decision. With the win Trigg earned the right to return to Hawaii three months later for the semi-finals of the tournament.
Trigg’s opponent was the young but very tough Carlos Condit. Trigg was forced to tap out early in the first round of his semi-final battle as the younger mixed martial artist locked on a triangle choke that put an end to the fight, Trigg’s tournament hopes, and his career for the time being.
After nearly seven month’s off, Trigg is ready for a fresh start. That fresh start will come December 1st as Trigg will be making the jump up to 185 lbs to fight Jason “Mayhem” Miller for the ICON Sport world middleweight title.
Frank Trigg is back! Icon Sport has announced that they have signed UFC veteran Frank Trigg.
Trigg’s first fight will be against Jason “Mayhem” Miller December 1st for the Icon Sport Middleweight Championship. Trigg will be moving up from welterweight (170 lbs) to middleweight (185 lbs) to fight Miller.
“Trigg has all the tools to become the next Icon Sport Middleweight Champion. He excels at doing damage from the top position. And we saw what happened when Lawler got on top of Mayhem in that now-infamous second round of their bout…Lawler nearly finished the fight right there. Mayhem will be in real trouble if he finds himself under someone who has the wrestling and ground-and-pound skills of Trigg. Trigg vs. Mayhem will be an absolute war.”
The December 1st card will also feature UFC veterans Robbie Lawler and Falaniko Vitale fighting in their respective weight classes.
Here are the results from Icon Sport - Mayhem vs Lawler.
Peni Taufa’ao def. Isaiah Cobb-Adams - Submission (Guillotine)
Shaun Durfee def. Thomas Ferguson - Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
Keoni Bryant def. Derek Stadler - Decision (Unanimous)
Lowen Cabuag def. Kenneth Gusman - Decision (Unanimous)
Chico Canteberas def. Kevin Delima - TKO (Strikes)
Makana Albino def. Marshall Harvest - Decision (Unanimous)
Mark Oshiro def. Paul Gorman - KO
Sydney Silva def. Kimo Wolfel - Submission (Armbar)
Jay Jack def. Mike Russo - Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
Tyson Nam def. Ikaika Silva - Decision (Unanimous)
Jason Dent def. Kolo Koka - Submission (Armbar)
Jason Miller def. Robbie Lawler - Submission (Arm Triangle)
Icon Sport has announced the full card for their September 2nd event titled “Mayhem vs. Lawler”.
ICON SPORT: Mayhem vs. Lawler
7:30pm September 2ND
Jason Miller vs Robbie Lawler
Ron Verdadero vs Nick Ring
Jason Dent vs Kolo Koka
Ikaika Silva vs Tyson Nam
Mike Russo vs Jay Jack
Kimo Woelfel vs Sydney Silva
Paul Gorman vs. Mark Oshiro
Marshall Harvest vs Makana Albino
Chico Cantiberas vs. Kevin Delima
Lowen Cabuag vs Kenneth Gusman
Keoni Bryant vs Derek Stadler
Shaun Durfee vs. Thomas Ferguson
Peni Taufa’ao vs. Ricky Wallace