Kevin Randleman’s Hammer House teammate Wes Sims has announced that Randleman was admitted into the hospital earlier this week with signs of kidney failure…
According to Randleman’s friend and training partner Wes Sims, Randleman was admitted to the hospital a few days ago and remains there today. Sims did not have much detailed information about Randleman’s condition, “He’s in the hospital, but I haven’t even been able to talk to him yet.” Sims did verify that it was a severe problem with his kidneys including some degree of failure.
It is not known if the kidney failure is life-threatening at this point. We will certainly be sure to pass along any new information we receive as soon as we get it…
Update 9:38 PM: MMA Universe is reporting that Randleman will now be making a full recovery as he has been taken off all medication and is now only on IV fluids to help him get rehydrated.
Both Matt Lindland and BodogFight have announced that Lindland has agreed in principle to face Pride Heavyweight Champion Fedor Emelianenko on April 6th at Bodog’s event in St. Petersburg, Russia.
Fedor was originally supposed to take on Jeff Monson at Bodog’s show in March but contract talks never went anywhere and we reported that the fight was officially cancelled yesterday.
American Top Team has stated however that Monson may still fight Fedor’s brother, Aleksander Emelianenko at the event instead.
Lindland is expected to sign an official contract with Bodog later tonight and says that he will come up from 185 lbs and weigh-in at about 210 lbs for the fight in April.
I’ll be sure to give an update whenever more information becomes available…
News and Notes
- Caol Uno will make his return to the octagon March 3rd at UFC 68 in Ohio. Uno’s opponent will be lightweight contender and ‘The Ultimate Fighter II’ winner Joe Stevenson.
- MMAWeekly has Dan Lauzon, Matt Wiman and Nathan Diaz listed as fighters on the upcoming season of ‘The Ultimate Fighter 5’.
- The IFL has announced that the fight between Vernon White and Raphael Davis has been cancelled because it was not approved by the California State Athletic Commission.
The reasoning behind the decision was that the difference in experience between the two fighters gave one an unfair advantage over another and therfore the bout could be sanctioned. The CSAC is right - White has fought in more than 50 bouts while this would have just been Davis’ third career fight.
This now means that there will be no light-heavyweight fight in tomorrow’s matchup between the Nevada Lions and the San Jose Razorclaws. A second lightweight fight between Joe Martin and Clint Coronel will take place of this one.
- The California State Athletic Commission announced yesterday that MMA promotions seeking to put on a sanctioned event in the state now have the option of using a cage or a ring. The IFL’s event on Friday night will be the first time that a ring will be used in for MMA competition in California’s history…
- Jeff Monson will make his return to the UK at Cage Warriors: Showdown 3, defending his heavyweight belt against an opponent that has yet to be named. However many are speculating that Monson will be taking on Mario Neto in his third title defense.
Monson’s fight with Fedor on the March 3rd Bodog card has been cancelled. The bout has not yet been rescheduled although it is expected they will just move the fight to Bodog’s April event without a problem…
Just a few minutes ago, Randy Couture made it official during an interview with Joe Rogan - Captain America is coming out of retirement.
Couture has signed a brand new four-fight contract with the UFC that will keep him fighting through 2008. His first opponent will be UFC Heavyweight Champion Tim Sylvia and the belt will be on the line at UFC 68: The Uprising on March 3rd.
During the interview Couture said that the itch to fight he had while doing color commentary for UFC broadcasts became too much for him to handle.
When asked about Sylvia, Couture stated that he saw holes in the champion’s game, especially a conservative approach against Jeff Monson where Sylvia fought “not to lose rather than to win”.
With the addition of Couture, the UFC Heavyweight division, which only a few months ago looked bone dry is now stacked with contenders…
Brazilian newspaper Jornal dos Sports has done an interview with Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira in which the fighter reveals that he will be taking on Josh Barnett at Pride’s Shockwave 2006 in a rematch of their controversial bout earlier this year which Barnett won by a close split decision.
“My adversary for the next Pride event, on the 31st of December, will be the American Josh Barnett, and revenge will be mine in my last fight of the year. Shortly after [Nogueira’s first fight with Barnett], I made it clear to Pride management that although I respect the judges decision, I would like a revenge match, since I didn’t feel the decision being given to Barnett by 2 to 1 was just.
I am motivated and focused for this fight and am certain I will put in a good performance. Barnett is a great fighter and has shown how he is dangerous on the ground. In a fight at this level, anything can happen, but I am quite confident I can beat him.”
Pride has not yet officially announced the bout so there is still a chance that the promotion could change the matchup between the two fighters before the December 31st event…
BodogFight, the newest mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion created by Bodog.com Entertainment Founder Calvin Ayre, showcases former WWE superstar Ron “H2O” Waterman in the headline Superfight at Vancouver’s PNE Agrodome on Saturday, December 2. The Superfight against Roger Gracie will mark the culmination of a star-studded pay-per-view spectacle that will stamp Vancouver, Canada as an elite MMA destination alongside Tokyo and Las Vegas.
“Ron Waterman is a highly skilled fighter and a role model,” says Calvin Ayre, whose recent television productions include Bodog Salutes the Troops and Calvin Ayre Wild Card Poker, which aired on the mainstream channels, Spike TV and Fox Sports Network. “BodogFight is proud to have Ron on our debut pay-per-view program as he brings a champion’s presence into the ring.”
Well Pride’s last two events have set in stone who the top three heavyweights are in that promotion, in order even: Fedor Emelianenko, Mirko Cro Cop, and Josh Barnett.
Now the big question: Who is going to fight Fedor next?
Both Fedor and Barnett are scheduled to fight at Pride’s show on or around New Year’s Eve. It doesn’t have a name as of yet but I’m willing to bet that Pride will go ahead and use Shockwave just as in previous years.
Cro Cop defeated Barnett at Final Conflict Absolute 2006 in September. That would make him the shoe-in to fight Fedor, right?
The thing is Cro Cop lost to Fedor last year and this fact creates a dilemma. Should Pride give Cro Cop another shot just one year later or should Barnett be given the chance even though he lost to Cro Cop last month?
To make matters even more confusing, Fedor announced at a post-fight press conference for Pride’s most recent event, The Real Deal, that he wants Barnett as his next opponent.
Barnett is interested in the opportunity:
Josh said, “Cool. I’m glad that he nominated me. Honestly, I think he understands the game out there. There’s not really all that many people left for him to fight, but I’m sure he’s understood for at least some time now that fighting me would be a really big match up for him.”
“For me, basically what it all comes down to is how training goes…and this year has been, uh…something else so far, but if I feel good, I’ll do it,” said Barnett.
Barnett has expressed wanting to take on Fedor in the past and it looks like right now is the closest that the two have ever been to actually possibly fighting. It’s going to be interesting to see the decision that Pride makes this month concerning the fight.
If the promotion decides to have Cro Cop take on Fedor, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira could be the obvious choice of opponent for Barnett…
There are some pretty major changes to the card that have to be announced…
Wesley “Cabbage” Correira has taken himself off of the card due to medical reasons. The fighter he was scheduled to face, Ruben Villareal was dropped off of the card for reasons that aren’t known at this time. It is speculated that they were unable to find an opponent for him at the last minute.
Bobby Southworth will also be unable to compete at the event due to an injury that he suffered during a recent training session. Taking his place against Anthony Ruiz, will be Trevor Prangley.
Prangley was scheduled to fight Bryan Pardoe but that bout is now cancelled…
Pride held yet another press conference yesterday discussing details about their upcoming US debut in October…
We already learned about the announcements of Josh Barnett-Pawel Nastula and Mark Hunt-Eric Esch yesterday. Dream Stage CEO Nobuyuki Sakakibara stated that some more fights will be named later this week and the rest of the card will be revealed at the end of the month.
It’s interesting to note that because the event is taking place in Nevada, the rules will be similar to those that the UFC uses with a couple of changes. The fight will obviously take place in a ring rather than the UFC’s famed octagon. As it pertains to striking, there will be no elbows to the head permitted while on the ground. Kicking or kneeing of a downed opponent will be illegal as well despite that it is usually allowed in Pride events.
No shoes or Gi’s are allowed to be worn. The fights will be three five-minutes rounds instead of Pride’s usual one ten minute round followed by two five-minute rounds. The event will be four hours long and will be broadcast on PPV and the web.
Even more interesting then those announcements is the fact that Sakakibara was willing to talk about Silva-Liddell and the current status of the possible matchup. ..
“Speaking on behalf of Pride, we are ready anytime. Also, Wanderlei is ready. We just need the doctor’s confirmation regarding his injury from last week. We are still waiting for the UFC’s response. Mirko even said that if Wanderlei is not ready to fight in November, he would fight in his place. In some interviews, Mr. Dana White stated that this fight won’t happen. However, speaking from Pride’s side, we are ready.”
Hey, that’s not what Dana said!
I really don’t know which side to believe. I want to side with Dana and the UFC seeing how Pride has screwed over other promotions before by pulling crap like this whole saga. I wonder what he will have to say about this.
Even though Dana already said that Silva shouldn’t get a shot at Chuck Liddell because he was destroyed by Mirko Cro Cop, there is still room for things to happen. Dana’s right - Silva shouldn’t get Chuck after that massacre.
But if what Dana said at UFC 61 is true - They were supposed to have Wanderlei for three fights - Why don’t they have Wanderlei face someone else, like Babalu or Forrest for example. This way Tito can get his title shot and providing Chuck and Wanderlei both win, they can meet after that.
I’m such a genius…
Justin Eilers continued his winning streak Saturday night with a 1st round TKO win over Wade Hamilton at RMN MMA: Demolition.