News and Notes
- MMAWeekly is reporting that Hermes Franca has left The Armory and he is now in the process of opening his own gym in West Palm Beach, Fla.
The gym will be opening in November. It will be inside of a boxing gym called Palm Beach Boxing Club that will now also house Team Hermes Franca.
The gym can be found at 1611 N. Military Trail, West Palm Beach, Fla. Interested parties can call at either 561-833-2131 or 561-319-6608.
- Ricardo Arona told Tatame that he has not signed with M-1 but he has received offers from organizations in Canada and the USA.
“I did not close with the M-1. I heard very on this for ai, but I did not receive no proposal to fight against the Stench. Pra you to be sincere I nor know this event”, I said Arona, that he intends to still make a fight this year. “It arrived some proposals of Canada, of the States and Japan, but I am waiting best the proposal to still close a fight in December”, disclosed the BTT.
Reports surfaced earlier this week that Hardcore Championship Fighting in Canada was interested in acquiring the services of Arona. HCF has been on a tear lately signing the likes of Aleksander Emelianenko, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, and Renato “Babalu” Sobral.
- MMA Madness caught up with Ken Shamrock to get his thoughts on a variety of subjects including his brother, Frank Shamrock.
MMA Madness: Frank has openly stated he’s willing to fight you. Is the feeling mutual for you?
Shamrock: Do you want the complete and honest truth?
MMA Madness: Yeah, let’s hear it.
Shamrock: Frank is the kind of guy who will only fight someone if he thinks he can beat them. He won’t fight me unless he talks enough crap that he gets pushed into it by the fans. He might even price himself out of the fight just to get out of it. He’s done that before. He walks around saying he’s the Lion’s Den guy and this and that. He was probably my third best guy when I was training them all, behind [Jerry] Bohlander and [Guy] Mezger. Also, Frank has problems against people who can take him down and he knows I would take him down. Look at his fight against Renzo [Gracie]! I can knock him down and punch him out. He’s my brother and all, but don’t think for a second that I wouldn’t fight him.
- MMA Junkie has teamed up with “The Bubba the Love Sponge Show” and will become the MMA content provider for the show’s official website.
Sherdog: Akiyama to Fight Kang in Korean HERO’S
Sherdog: New Japanese MMA Event, Association Introduced
MMAWeekly: Karo Not Worried About Facing Chonan
The Fight Network: Manager Snubs IFL
UFC: Sylvia’s Quest for a Third Belt Begins Saturday
A lot of news to report so I’ve decided to throw up a Sunday edition of CKA…
News and Notes
- Pancrase has been forced to cancel it’s championship main event for this morning’s 2007 Rising Tour show after former heavyweight King of Pancrase Kestutis “Tiger” Arbocius pulled a no-show. His scheduled opponent, current Heavyweight King of Pancrase Assuerio Silva, has been removed from the card and will defend his title at a later date.
Officials from Sherdog have stated that varying reports reveal that no one really knows where Arbocius is right now:
Initial reports from Japanese media, which attributed information to Arbocius’ management, suggested that the 32-year-old Lithuanian* may have had difficulty with local police.
A Pancrase official disputed that report, telling Sherdog.com via e-mail, “Nobody knows where he is, even his manager. Pancrase is trying to keep in touch with him.”
Yuki Kondo’s bout against Yuji Sakuragi will now serve as the main event for the show.
- Shooto has announced five more bouts for it’s Back to our Roots 6 card, set for November 8th at Yoyogi National Stadium Second Gymnasium in Tokyo:
Shinichi Kojima vs Eduardo Dantas
Megumi Fujii vs Kyoko Takabayashi
Rambaa Somdet vs Masaaki Sugawara
Masashi Yozen vs Leandro Silva
Hayate Usui vs Shintaro Ishiwatari
- In a recent interview with ADCC News, Jake Shields stated that he is closer to signing with the UFC than EliteXC right now:
“I want to go out there and fight the best. I’m really looking at UFC over Elite because that is where a lot of top guys are. In the next few weeks I’ll probably make my decision on where I’m going to be signing. I’m sure we’re going to talk to them in the next week before we sign anything with Elite. I’m ready to get in there with the top guys. With the Rumble on the Rock tournament and EliteXC and my last four or five fights have been top come and have been fast, easy fights. I think it definitely shows I belong there.”
- The Edmonton Sun is reporting that Hardcore Championship Fighting is currently in contract talks with Vitor Belfort, Ricardo Arona, and John Alessio:
The Canadian fight club has been on a big-name signing binge of late.
Pride’s Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, former UFC veterans Renato ‘Babalu’ Sobral and Joe Riggs have signed on. Negotiations are ongoing with former UFC heavyweight champ Vitor Belfort, Pride vet Ricardo Arona and Canadian John Alessio.
“We are the only Canadian promotion that is bringing in huge international names,” says Crawford. “We remain committed to promoting local talent, but I believe Canadians are educated in the sport and want to see the world’s best.”
- American Top Team has announced that Seth Petruzelli has joined the ranks of the Florida-based training team:
Seth has been involved in the MMA scene for awhile and decided to join ATT to help further his career while preparing and train for his fights. When not preparing for his fights at the Main academy in Coconut Creek, FL. Seth will continue teaching at ATT Orlando along with Paul Rodriguez.
Look for Seth to be back in action Oct. 27th at Knight Fights in Orlando, Florida.
- Dave Meltzer of Wrestling Observer is reporting that Strikeforce will hold a four-man middleweight tournament at their next event on November 16th:
Strikeforce announced the first one-night tournament ever in California, which will be a four-man middleweight tournament featuring Joe Riggs and Falaniko Vitale on 11/16 in San Jose at the HP Pavilion. Promoter Scott Coker said it was be streamed live on Yahoo! like the Playboy Mansion show was. Cung Le will be in the non-tourament main event.
Andy Cotterill’s latest edition of MM-Eh! sheds some light on the reason why Dan Bobish was brought in to replace Wesley “Cabbage” Correira to go up against Aleksander Emelianenko at Hardcore Championship Fighting’s October 19th event - Apparently no one has been able to get a hold of Correira, not even his own manager:
According to HCF President Keith Crawford, nobody, including Correira’s manager, Ken Pavia, has been able to reach “Cabbage” for several weeks now.
“We made the decision to take him off the fight card because we can’t afford to bring in Emelianenko from Russia and not have a good fighter on the other side of the cage,” Crawford told Sherdog.com
It’s more than likely that Cabbage has probably had something personal to deal with that comes before fighting in his life. With that said anything is possible. Where’s Cabbage?
GracieMag.com is reporting that Hardcore Championship Fighting has signed UFC veteran Renato “Babalu” Sobral. According to the report, the contract begins in December and is valid for one year.
“I still don’t know who I’m going to fight,” said Babalu, who relies on some huge names during trainings. “I’ve been training at Gracie Barra with the likes of Marcio Feitosa and Flavio ‘Cachorrinho’ Almeida,” he finished over the phone, from California.
Hardcore Championship Fighting has been on a tear lately signing the likes of Renato “Babalu” Sobral, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, Aleksander Emelianenko, and Dan Bobish.
FCFighter.com is reporting that UFC veteran Welsey “Cabbage” Correira has pulled out of his October 19th showdown with PRIDE veteran Aleksander Emelianenko. According to the report, Correira was unable to compete due to “unforeseen circumstances”. Correira’s replacement will be PRIDE veteran Dan Bobish.
Dan Bobish sports a professional mixed martial arts record of 17-8. The PRIDE veteran has stepped into the ring with the likes of Igor Vovchanchyn, Mark Hunt, Gary Goodridge, Mark Kerr, and Eric Pele. Bobish is currently on a six fight winning streak with none of his bouts making it out of the first round.
Hardcore Championship Fighting is scheduled for October 19th at the Stampede Corral, in Calgary, Alberta.
According to reports, Hardcore Championship Fighting has signed PRIDE veteran Antonio Rogerio Nogueira to an exclusive three-fight contract.
“Today we’ve announced the signing of Antonio Rogerio Nogueira,” Crawford said. “Minotoro of course the nickname that’s the smaller brother, the 205 pound Nogueira, to get a gentlemen with his Pride experience and fight experience under exclusive contract to us is huge for us, and huge for MMA in Canada. We’re hoping his first fight will be in November in Vancouver, as one of our main-events, or semi-main-events, on the Vancouver card. Either way we are ecstatic to have him under our banner.”
Aleksander Emelianenko has signed to compete on the October 5th Hardcore Championship Fighting 5 card against popular slugger Wesley “Cabbage” Correira.
Emelianenko is undefeated so far in 2007, earning wins over Eric Pele at BodogFight: Clash of Nations in April and over Jessie Gibson at M-1: Russia vs Europe in July. The younger brother of Fedor put himself on the heavyweight map last year when he stopped heavily regarded Sergei Kharitonov with strikes at PRIDE Final Conflict Absolute.
Correira hasn’t seen very much success lately, losing five out of his last six bouts. His lone win during that time span has come against Ji Hoon Kim last July at PXC 8. Correira was considered a top heavyweight early on in his career, racking up wins Travis Wiuff, Jason Lambert, Joe Riggs, Justin Eilers, and Tank Abbott, and going 2-1 during a stint in the UFC.
In a recent interview with Sportsnet.ca MFC president Mark Pavelich stated that he didn’t think that TKO, an established MMA organization in Montreal, was much of a draw outside of its native province of Quebec.
Pavelich admitted that he’d prefer to do shows in Canada. But there are limitations. In Ontario it’s not legally sanctioned. And in Quebec, TKO is already the established circuit. On top of that, he doesn’t see TKO as a big draw outside of La Belle Province.
“The bottom line is people in Alberta do not care what goes on in Quebec,” Pavelich said. “And most of the time, people in Ontario don’t even care. I didn’t make the rules. My wife’s from Montreal, my kids were born in Montreal. It’s just stating the facts.
TKO president Stephane Patry fired back in The Fight Network’s latest edition of “Great Fight North” saying TKO garners much more media coverage then MFC and produces a much better show.
“That’s bullshit,” said Patry. “At our last show [June], we made the cover page of the biggest newspaper in Montreal. We’re getting way more coverage then he does media-wise. We have all the radio stations covering [TKO], we have a weekly television show here and we’re everywhere on The Fight Network.”
“Mark Pavelich’s shows are a joke,” claims Patry. “Pavelich’s show is basically a ring with a light above it and two guys fighting, that’s it.
“From seeing what’s going on in the country, I would say number two is Hardcore [Championship Fighting] right now,” Patry said. “In my opinion, they have a better looking show then the other guys. Production value means everything; it’s so important if you want to be major league. I don’t feel Mark’s shows look all that professional.”
News and Notes
- Our rumors section has been updated once again…
- Remember to cast your vote on our latest poll: Rock the Vote - Favorite UFC 73 Fight
- MMA on Tap would like to congratulate UFC Junkie’s Eric “Performify” Foster on being hired as a columnist for Fight! Magazine.
- For those of you that haven’t already heard, Wesley “Cabbage” Correira has been forced to withdraw from his scheduled bout with James Thompson at Cage Rage 22 this Saturday after suffering a broken ankle during a recent training session. Cage Rage has also announced that Correira will be replaced by Kimo Leopoldo in the bout.
- Full Contact Fighter is reporting that former UFC Heavyweight Champion Ricco Rodriguez has been forced to withdraw from his scheduled bout against Ron Waterman at HCF: Unfinished Business on July 21 because he has been denied admittance into the country of Canada:
Hardcore Championship Fighting promoter, Keith Crawford, informed FCF this afternoon that Ricco Rodriguez will not fight Ron Waterman on the July 21st, “Unfinished Business” card, in Edmonton, Alberta, as had been advertised. The fight was to be the card’s main event, which will take place at the River Cree Resort and Casino in Alberta’s capital city. According to Crawford, Canadian authorities have denied Rodriguez entrance into the country.
“Mr. Rodriguez’s bond to get into Canada has been revoked due to recent situations.” said Crawford, which was the extent to which he cared to comment. As of last week, Crawford had maintained in correspondence with FCF that he believed all American fighters that were scheduled to compete on the card would be granted entry into Canada.
Rodriguez’s lawyer and agent, James C. Gallo, told FCF this afternoon that “I’m not an expert in Canadian law, but I’m unaware of any reason as to why Rodriguez would be precluded from leaving the U.S. to enter Canada.”
- The Fight Network is reporting that Mirko Cro Cop has hired a talented group to be used as sparring partners in preparation for Cro Cop’s upcoming bout against Cheick Kongo at UFC 75. Sergei Kharitonov, Ricco Rodriguez and Zelg Galesic will all be participating in Cro Cop’s training camp.
- Randy Couture and Quinton Jackson fell short of their bid to become the first mixed martial artist to receive an ESPY for Fighter of the Year as Floyd Mayweather Jr took home the honor.
- Gracie Fighter is stating that Nick Diaz has been released of his contract with PRIDE and Zuffa because of his ties with Elite XC:
We will be running a series on a seldom seen look at the behind the scenes workings that ultimately lead to the ouster of Nick Diaz from the new Pride organization. In our opinion this ouster had everything to do with Nick’s participation in the EliteXC organization and nothing to do with Zuffa’s technical grounds. Everyday this week we will post corresponding emails and let you the reader be the ultimate judge.
MMA Weekly: This Thing is a Unification Bout
NBC Sports: Sport, not savagery
CBS Sportsline: A look ahead at UFC championship picture
Fight Opinion: Thursday trash talk: Trigg and Toughman
Bloody Elbow: California and Oversaturation
411 Mania: Where Do The UFC 73 Fighters Go From Here
When Joe Riggs made his UFC debut against Joe Doersken at UFC 49, the hype came along with him.
For those of you who are unfamilar with “Diesel”, a quick summary of things:
Riggs had made a name for himself in smaller organizations, primarily RITC, for his powerful strikes and amazing strength. Starting his professional MMA career at 300 lbs, Riggs had gradually dropped weight to the point where he was able to fight at 185 lbs.
Absolutely huge for the middleweight division, many thought the then 21-year old Riggs would be a force in the UFC. He went on to stop Doersken in the second round at UFC 49 and then racked up wins over Chilo Gonzalez and Thomas Gil in the WEC and RITC respectively. Everything was set for Riggs to go on and shine. Then a series of unfortunate events happened…