Today the Nevada State Athletic Commission voted unanimously to reinstate Alistair Overeem’s license. The approval opens the door for Overeem’s scheduled bout with Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva at UFC 156.
According to MMA Fighting, Overeem provided the NSAC with five self-administered tests between June and December that were all clean. Along with those, he faced tests on November 16 and December 21, both of which he passed.
Nate Marquardt defends his Strikeforce welterweight title January 12 against Tarec Saffiedine at Strikeforce’s final event. If victorious, Marquardt told Ariel Helwani he’s open to a unification bout with Georges St. Pierre. Marquardt and St. Pierre have been training together since Marquardt’s first UFC stint. [MMA Fighting]
It looks like a potential superfight between Anderson Silva and Georges St. Pierre will have to wait. Following the pre-fight press conference for UFC on Fox 5, Ariel Helwani tweeted, “Dana just said GSP told him I want Nick Diaz. Dana said that’s probably the fight we’ll make.”
Helwani continued, “Dana said GSP doesn’t ask for much, so he feels like he has to do it. Silva and Hendricks will have to wait. Dana hasn’t told Nick yet, but he is here.”
Johny Hendricks has been adamant about the fact that he will not fight unless it’s for a title shot. Following the reports of GSP-Diaz, Hendricks tweeted, “Yes I will sit out if I don’t get a title shot.”
Last week on MMA Fighting’s “The MMA Beat”, Mike Straka stated that he's heard through sources that Georges St. Pierre is requesting $50 million to fight Anderson Silva. Straka said, “I was told by somebody very close to Georges that Georges today makes close to $8 million a fight. So to fight Anderson Silva he’s going to ask for $50 million.”
St. Pierre, who is currently in Paris, France, joined 98.5 FM Sports and shot down the report saying it was not true.
Johny Hendricks recently told MMA Junkie Radio that he has no intentions of risking his status as the number one contender for the UFC welterweight title. Hendricks said, “I’m not going to fight unless it’s for a belt. Nothing else matters but the belt.”
It’ll be interesting to see how the UFC handles the current welterweight title picture. Will it be the lesser known yet more deserving Hendricks or the outspoken and brash Nick Diaz?
The UFC has announced that they’ll be returning to London, England on February 16, 2013 at the Wembley Arena. While no fights have been announced, it is being reported that the card will be UFC on Fuel TV 7.
It looks like Nick Diaz is getting consideration for a UFC welterweight shot again… At least by Tristar head trainer Firas Zahabi. Zahabi told MMA Junkie, "I think Diaz is the guy who deserves it most. His fight with Carlos (Condit) was so close. Who knows? People judge it both ways.”
Of course, Johny Hendricks is current front runner after he stopped Martin Kampmann at UFC 154. Diaz is still sidelined, serving the remainder of his suspension for testing positive for marijuana metabolites.
Georges St. Pierre def. Carlos Condit - Decision (Unanimous)
Johny Hendricks def. Martin Kampmann - KO (Punch)
Francis Carmont def. Tom Lawlor - Decision (Split)
Rafael Dos Anjos def. Mark Bocek - Decision (Unanimous)
Pablo Garza def. Mark Hominick - Decision (Unanimous)
Preliminary Card on FX:
Patrick Cote def. Alessio Sakara - DQ (Strikes to Back of Head)
Cyrille Diabate def. Chad Griggs - Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
John Makdessi def. Sam Stout - Decision (Unanimous)
Preliminary Card on Facebook:
Antonio Carvalho def. Rodrigo Damm - Decision (Split)
Ivan Menjivar def. Azamat Gashimov - Submission (Armbar)
Matt Riddle def. John McGuire - Decision (Unanimous)
Darren Elkins def. Steven Siler - Decision (Unanimous)
Following the event, UFC officials announced that St. Pierre-Condit (Fight of the Night), Ivan Menjivar (Submission of the Night), and Johny Hendricks (KO of the Night) all received $70,000 bonuses.
Above is the final episode from the latest installment of UFC Primetime. The series follows UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre and interim UFC welterweight champion Carlos Condit as they prepare for their UFC 154 showdown on November 17 in Montreal, Quebec.
All of the participants for the UFC 154: St. Pierre vs. Condit card successfully made weight in preparation for their bouts Saturday at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec.
The event will be headlined by a UFC welterweight title unification bout featuring current champion Georges St. Pierre and interim champion Carlos Condit. The co-main event will feature a number one contender bout between Martin Kampmann and Johny Hendricks.
The offical weights can be found after the jump.
The UFC has announced that welterweight contenders Jon Fitch and Demian Maia will lock horns at UFC 156. UFC president Dana White said, “Maia hopes to move up the welterweight rankings by taking out perennial contender Fitch. Fitch wants to build on his Fight of the Night-winning victory over Erick Silva." [UFC]
Despite earlier reports of The Ultimate Fighter being moved to Wednesday nights on FX, a FX official has stated that it’s highly unlikely TUF will air on Wednesday nights. An official announcement is expected to come within the next two or three weeks. [MMA Fighting]
UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre and interim champion Carlos Condit met with the media today to hype up their UFC 154 bout set for Saturday night at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec.
Above is the video of the UFC 154 pre-fight press conference and after the jump you can find quotes from both St. Pierre and Condit.