The Nevada State Athletic Commission made headlines on an otherwise slow weekend in terms of MMA and news about the sport.
The NSAC filed a formal complaint within itself against former PRIDE parent company, Dream Stage Entertainment on Friday. The complaint stems from DSE failing to pay television broadcast taxes from the two events they held in the United States in the last year. The NSAC has stated that if the money is not turned over, DSE will have their promotional license revoked.
NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer has stated that even though Zuffa nows owns PRIDE, DSE is still responsible for paying the taxes. Kizer also said that DSE owes the NSAC approximately $60,000 and that attempts to contact them about the matter have been successful.
The NSAC also held an open forum earlier in the week in Las Vegas to field suggestions about any possible rule changes within the sport of MMA. Even though the public forum wasn’t very popular to say the least (only one person attended other than NSAC officials), Kizer has stated that he received a bunch of suggestions via email. The most popular subject was knees to the head of a downed opponent which Kizer says the commission is planning to review.
“First and foremost, we have to make sure that if that [rule] changes in that regard, can it be done safely?” said Kizer. “I don’t see soccer kicks ever being safe by the nature of the move, but knees to the head of a downed opponent – is it that different than elbows or punches to the head of a downed opponent? I don’t know, but it’s something we want to look at.”
Here are the payouts from Strikeforce/EliteXC: Shamrock vs. Baroni:
- Frank Shamrock ($200,000) def. Phil Baroni ($100,000)
- Murilo Rua ($50,000) def. Joey Villasenor ($15,000)
- Paul Buentello ($50,000) def. Carter Williams ($13,340)
- Cung Le ($45,000) def. Tony Fryklund ($8,000)
- Paul Daley ($12,000) def. Duane Ludwig ($15,000)
- Josh Thomson ($20,000) def. Nick Gonzalez ($4,000)
- Edson Berto ($14,000) def. Victor Valenzuela ($4,000)
- Mike Pyle ($20,000) def. Aaron Wetherspoon ($4,000)
- Luke Stewart ($10,000) def. Jason Von Flue ($10,000)
- Seth Kleinbeck ($6,000) def. Sam Spengler ($3,000)
- Chris Cariaso ($4,000) def. Anthony Figueroa ($3,000)
- Rex Richards ($4,000) def. Ray Seraille ($4,000)
- Sean Bassett ($3,700) def. David Smith ($2,000)
- Nik Theotikis ($2,800) def. Nikk Covert ($1,500)
Disclosed Fighter Payroll: $628,340
The official fighter salaries from The Ultimate Fighter 5 Finale via UFC Junkie:
BJ Penn: $100,000
Jens Pulver: $30,000
Roger Huerta: $24,000
Nate Diaz: $16,000
Joe Lauzon: $16,000
Cole Miller: $16,000
Matt Wiman: $16,000
Thales Leites: $14,000
Manny Gamburyan: $8,000
Gray Maynard: $8,000
Brandon Melendez: $8,000
Rob Emerson: $8,000
Andy Wang: $8,000
Allen Berube: $8,000
Brian Geraghty: $8,000
Leonard Garcia: $4,000
Floyd Sword: $3,000
Doug Evans: $3,000
NEW YORK – The International Fight League, the world’s number one team-based professional mixed martial arts league announced it will move its 2007 World Team Finals from The Forum in Los Angeles to the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Hollywood, Fla. It will mark the IFL’s first-ever event in the state of Florida, and will take place in Hard Rock, on Sept. 20 at 7 p.m.
“Although we have had great success with our first two California events, this opportunity to have an event in Florida, in a hotbed for the sport with some of the new stars of the sport, was too much to pass up,” said IFL Co-founder and Commissioner Kurt Otto. “We have been able to bring our athletes to a host of new locations in our first year, and we wanted to find the right place in Florida, and there is no better place than the Hard Rock.”
“We are very excited to be able to bring the action of the IFL to the Seminole Hard Rock for the fans of South Florida,” said Bernie Dillon, senior vice president of entertainment. “Mixed Martial Arts has done very well in our arena. We think this model with the championship on the line will be very exciting.”
The winners of the two five-man teams from the Aug. 2 playoff semi-finals at Continental Airlines Arena in East Rutherford, N.J., will meet in the finals at the Seminole Hard Rock. The Quad Cities Silverbacks, coached by MMA legend Pat Miletich and featuring undefeated heavyweight Ben Rothwell and lightweight Bart Palaszewski, won the IFL World Team Championship competition in 2006.
If you’re not a regular watcher of the The Daily Show and think you recognize Hodgman, he plays “PC Guy” in the Get a Mac commercials.
Hat-tip to With Leather
Former undisputed boxing middleweight champion Marvin Hagler recently sat down for an interview with the Ottawa Sun. He was asked about his thoughts on MMA, primarily the UFC, and went on to bash the sport:
“I don’t see any skill in (the UFC) or art ... anybody can do that kind of fighting off the street,” he said.
Hagler also stated that MMA wouldn’t be the sport to put boxing down for good either.
“Boxing will never die. It will come back some day, some year. We’ll find another superstar.”
The California State Athletic Commission announced today that Johnnie Morton has tested positive for anabolic steroids.
Former NFL football player Johnnie Morton (Pictures) has tested positive for anabolic steroids following his mixed martial arts debut on June 2, California State Athletic Commission Executive Officer Armando Garcia informed Sherdog.com Wednesday afternoon.
In order to receive a license to fight, Morton, 35, was required to undergo a pre-fight urinalysis. According to Garcia, Sample A came back as positive for a “very elevated TE ratio, which is testosterone. And that is 83.9—the normal industry standard for an athlete is 6.”
Garcia said Sample B confirmed the results, and “that is consistent with anabolic steroid use.”
Morton faces the revocation of his license as well as a maximum $2,500 fine. Disciplinary action is on hold until the CSAC receives the results for Morton’s drugs of abuse tests. Garcia said Morton was notified via letter several days after the fight, and that he has 10 days to respond if he wishes to receive a hearing in front of the commission. As of Wednesday afternoon, Morton had not responded.
The official fighter salaries from K-1 Dynamite!! USA via MMA Weekly:
Brock Lesnar: $500,000
Royce Gracie: $300,000
Johnnie Morton: $100,000
Melvin Manhoef: $50,000
Jonathan Wiezorek: $40,000
Gesias Calvancanti: $36,000
Min Soo Kim: $30,000
Kazushi Sakuraba: $30,000
Mo Siliga: $30,000
Ruben Villareal: $30,000
Nam Phan: $29,500
Jake Shields: $24,000
Dong Sik Yoon: $20,000
Tim Persey: $20,000
Hideo Tokoro: $15,000
Katsuhiko Nagata: $15,000
Brad Pickett: $8,000
Bernard Ackah: $5,000
Ido Pariente: $2,500
Isaiah Hill: $2,500
The California State Athletic Commission released a detailed report concerning the attendance numbers involving last Saturday’s K-1 Dynamite!! USA at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. Here are the numbers:
- 42,757 were in attendance at the event, setting a new attendance record as the most watched live MMA event in North America. UFC 68 was the previous owner of the record with 19,079 packed into the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio.
- 3,674 tickets were sold through Ticketmaster and the stadium box office.
- 39,083 tickets were handled by FEG, the company that promoted the fight.
- 75,332 tickets were printed and 13,600 were given away.
- The event brought in a paid gate of $2,545,590.
Steve Sievert of The Houston Chronicle is reporting that contrary to a press release Spike TV sent out about Marlon Sims and Noah Thomas fighting on the finale of The Ultimate Fighter 5 on June 23, the two will not be fighting on the card. In fact, they will never fight in the UFC according to a recent interview Sievert had with UFC President Dana White.
“They’re not fighting on the finale,” said UFC President Dana White. “Not only are they not fighting in the finale, they’ll never fight in the UFC. Spike wanted that fight. It ain’t gonna happen. No fucking way is that fight going to happen. Those guys will never fight in the UFC…ever.”
Sims and Thomas seem to be the newest members of a group of fighters blacklisted by the UFC after doing wrong on the reality show:
Eli Joslin - quit TUF 2 after “not being able to handle the camera environment around the house”
Kenny Stevens - failed to make weight for first fight on TUF 2
Noah Inhofer - quit TUF 3 after receiving a letter from his girlfriend claiming that she thinks he has cheated on her
Gabe Ruediger - no explanation necessary
White told Sievert that the press release sent out by Spike TV on May 29th should have never went out and that it was a complete mistake:
“Mistakes happen. I didn’t find out about it until yesterday. We make mistakes over here ... it’s unfortunate.”