MMAWeekly is reporting that Phil Baroni goes in for surgery this week to repair a hernia and torn groin muscle. Baroni suffered the injury early in the first round of his Strikeforce middleweight title fight with Frank Shamrock.
“[Phil’s] got three months of absolutely nothing,” said Pavia. He won’t be allowed to do any sort of training [during that time]. It’ll be 6-7 months before he can fight again.”
Today Baroni’s agent, Ken Pavia, appeared on “The Savage Dog Show” and gave a little information about the pre-fight drama and Baroni’s injuries.
“I don’t know if you guys knew this but the weigh-ins were Thursday and Monday he was informed by the CSAC that he wasn’t going to fight because additional medicals were mandated that he didn’t have time to do. So what he did was left Las Vegas on Monday - flew to Northern California and went through a battery of tests. Flew back to Vegas - flew then to Southern California for an additional battery of tests, I know because I drove him and we camped out at Dr. Gloveson’s (?) office at 6 AM in the morning because Phil couldn’t sleep he was so anxious to get over there. He went through an additional battery of tests there - flew back to Vegas and ultimately up to San Jose so at the day of the weigh-ins he was finally physically cleared to fight.”
“I know that Frank fought without an ACL which he allegedly hasn’t had for years and an MCL which was torn weeks prior. Phil additionally came in with an injured hamstring which caused him to injure his groin, a quartizone shot the week of the fight which numbed the area and if you watch the fight in the first 30 seconds what actually happens we later found out from the treating doctors is he tore the groin from the bone and a piece of the testes shot through hernia and if anybody has had a hernia they know it’s excruciating pain. Phil went back to the locker room and had what looked like a tennis ball protruding from his groin.”
GracieFighter.com is reporting that Nick Diaz has requested a fight with Frank Shamrock. Earlier this year Gary Shaw had announced that his promotion had signed Nick Diaz and his debut was expected to come sometime in May. Obviously things changed as Diaz took a fight with PRIDE against Takanori Gomi. Now it finally seems like Diaz’s EliteXC debut will be coming in the near future.
“I watched his last fight and no disrespect intended but I think I would whoop his ass.”, stated Diaz. A formal offer of intent has been delivered to the promoters to set this fight up and now we await their response.
Diaz is currently serving his 6 month suspension he received after he tested positive for marijuana. With the suspension came a $3,000 fine and his gogoplata victory over Takanori Gomi was changed to a no contest. Diaz still has about 3 months remaining on his suspension.
Despite rumors concerning the eligibility of both “The New York Badass” Phil Baroni and Murilo “Ninja” Rua to compete on Friday’s “Shamrock vs. Baroni” world championship mixed martial arts fight card, it was confirmed, two days beforehand, that both will suit up and enter the cage for their respective matchups.
Former UFC middleweight champion and King Of Pancrase, Frank Shamrock, will square off Baroni, a UFC and Pride Fighting Championship veteran, for the vacant Strikeforce world middleweight (185 lb. limit) title while former Pride stars, Joey “The Dream Smasher” Villasenor and Rua will battle for the vacant EliteXC world middleweight (185 lb. limit) crown.
Reports surfaced yesterday on Gracie Fighter stating that Phil Baroni may not be fighting Frank Shamrock after all this weekend because his medical work wasn’t done yet. The report has since then been “removed by request.”
Josh Gross of Sherdog shed light on the situation
with a report this morning:
Regarding a report that surfaced Tuesday on graciefighter.com about the status of Phil Baroni, who is scheduled to fight Frank Shamrock on the card’s main event, Garcia said the middleweight underwent standard MRI tests required of all licensees.
Ken Pavia, who also represents Baroni, said results should be known sometime Wednesday morning and that he believed his client would be cleared to fight.
LOS ANGELES – Exclusive access, never-before-seen footage and explosive rivalries all define “Countdown To Shamrock vs. Baroni,” a 30-minute magazine show set to premier on Showtime on Tuesday, June 12 at 8:30 p.m. ET /PT. “Countdown” explores the highly anticipated world championship mixed martial arts showdown between former UFC middleweight king, Frank Shamrock, and UFC and Pride Fighting Championship veteran, “The New York Badass” Phil Baroni.
The 14-match mega fight card will take place at the HP Pavilion in San Jose , Calif. on Friday, June 22, and will feature Shamrock vs. Baroni in the main event with up to five other matches airing live on Showtime PPV ( 10 p.m. ET / 7 p.m. PT ). As many as five undercard bouts will be streamed live at ProElite.com while a few bouts will be reserved for those in attendance at the “Shark Tank.”
“Countdown” will take you inside the training camps for an exclusive look at the first-degree grudge match between the crafty and versatile legend Shamrock and the power-punching and edgy New Yorker with a bad attitude Baroni. At stake for both fighters are the coveted Strikeforce Middleweight World Title and their respective reputations. The pair has engaged in a veritable war of words since long before this match had been officially announced.
MMA legend and former UFC middleweight champion Frank Shamrock and foul-mouthed, trash-talking, knockout-artist Phil “The New York Bad Ass” Baroni clash for the vacant Strikeforce middleweight (185-pound) championship in the main event of a spectacular MMA cage fight card on Friday, June 22, at the HP Pavilion at San Jose, Calif.
If Baroni can fight half as tough as he talks, Shamrock could be in for a long night.
In a second world title fight on a Strikeforce-EliteXC cage fight card that will be produced and distributed live by SHOWTIME® PPV (10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT), Joey “Dream Smasher” Villasenor and Murilo “Ninja” Rua will clash for the vacant EliteXC middleweight title.
Other scheduled PPV fights include: EliteXC’s Charles “Krazy Horse” Bennett vs. Victor “Joe Boxer” Valenzuela, lightweights; Strikeforce’s Cung Le vs. Tony “The Freak” Fryklund, middleweights and Carter “The Beast” Williams vs. Paul “The Headhunter” Buentello, heavyweights.
Before the PPV telecast, six exciting undercard fights will be streamed live at ProElite.com, a respected, rapidly growing Internet destination for the MMA community. First fight is at 7:40 p.m.
Please be aware before opening this post that it contains a good amount of foul language…
NEW YORK - After months of deliberations, one of the most anticipated showdowns in mixed martial arts history will finally come to fruition when former UFC middleweight champion, Frank Shamrock, battles fellow knockout artist and consummate showman, “The New York Badass” Phil Baroni, for the vacant Strikeforce world middleweight (185 lb. limit) championship during the main event of “Judgment Day,” a live, Pay Per View televised Strikeforce-EliteXC cage fight card that will take place at San Jose, California’s HP Pavilion on Friday, June 22nd.
Also returning to action during “Judgment Day,” undefeated world San Shou kickboxing champion and middleweight mixed martial arts contender, Cung Le, will battle UFC veteran, Tony “The Freak” Fryklund. Strikeforce’s latest recruit, 2003 K-1 North America tournament champion, Carter Williams, will face the hard-hitting Paul Buentello in a heavyweight matchup. Off the heels of his stunning knockout victory over KJ Noons, Charles “Krazy Horse” Bennett, will take on Victor “Joe Boxer” Valenzuela.
Joey Villasenor and former Pride star, Murilo “Ninja” Rua, will lock horns with the vacant EliteXC middleweight title at stake. On February 10th, Villasenor pulled off a stunning upset by outmaneuvering and, eventually earning a unanimous judges’ decision over David “The Crow” Loiseau. Villasenor’s career is highlighted by a 15 fight winning streak that he put together between December 2002 and April 2006. A member of the famed Chute Boxe fight squad in Brazil, Rua was last seen in action on September 30th when he submitted British kickboxer, Mark Weir, with an arm triangle choke in the second round of their meeting.
Usually, I would not make a post to highlight one specific interview, but this one is awfully informative. The UFC’s Dana White was interviewed on CBS Sportline and had a lot of things to say. Among them…
* Confirmed that UFC 70 will likely be on SpikeTV
* Confirmed that Rashad Evans is the expected opponent for Tito Ortiz at UFC 71.
* Reiterated that he wants Rampage Jackson to fight Chuck Liddell for the LHW title at UFC 71 in May.
* Was very candid once again about his interests in buying the Pride promotion, admitting to having been in negotiations with them.
* Mentioned guys like Wanderlei Silva, Fedor, and Dan Henderson as fighters he’d love to have fight under the UFC banner.
* Hinted at the possibility that they are negotiating with the Nogueira brothers since their contract is up soon with Pride.
* Clarified his position on the Kurt Angle rumors, yet was very complimentary to Angle as well as Brock Lesnar.
* Admitted he’d like to see Phil Baroni and Evan Tanner back in the UFC.
* Continued the war of words with Jerry Millen, Gary Shaw, and Frank Shamrock.
News and Notes
- WEC veteran Cole Escovedo is now suffering from paralysis from the waist down due to a staph infection…
According to a post by Laura Escovedo on MMA.tv and confirmed by Reed Harris of the WEC, Cole contracted a staph infection back in December that went unchecked because he just thought it was a spider bite or something of that sort. By the time he was diagnosed in January with staph, the infection made its way into his spine and paralyzed him from the waist down.
Cole was hospitalized and underwent an operation to alleviate some of the fluid that had built up on his spine due to the infection. He has since been released from the hospital and is now at home with a walker and is set to begin therapy.
At the time of publication, it was unknown whether Cole’s paralysis is a permanent or, hopefully, a temporary condition.
- More news on the whole Kurt Angle situation and who he might be signing with:
With a lighter schedule working with rival promotion Total Non-Stop Action (TNA) and a recovery from numerous health issues, 38-year-old Angle says he’s poised to enter the MMA world in 2007 with a number of suitors courting the former Olympian. At the top of the list, says Angle, is the newly formed Elite XC, which enjoyed a strong debut this past Saturday on the premium channel SHOWTIME.
“It looks like I’m going to sign with them (Elite XC) but then all of a sudden Dana White comes along last week and calls Dixie Carter (President of TNA) and says ‘Why is Kurt going to Showtime? I want to talk to him; he should be fighting for Spike, for UFC.”
Pro Elite’s Gary Shaw issued a “no comment” this morning regarding any contact they’ve had with Angle. Dixie Carter, President of TNA, who would not comment on Angle’s negotiations with any company but did confirm that the wrestler’s TNA contract allows him to do MMA, but only if TNA agrees it is best for him. Inquiries to the UFC were unanswered; while Angle says he’d need at least six to eight months of solid training before entering the cage or ring for a mixed martial arts debut.
“I can’t go in there with just my amateur wrestling skills,” said Angle. “I need to learn every facet of fighting, I need to learn how to protect myself with striking, submission holds, some jiu-jitsu and how to strike a bit better.”
- KOTC Canada’s next event, Capital Chaos, will take place on March 28th at the Robert Guertin Arena in Hull, Quebec…
- Elite XC Head Gary Shaw stated that a rematch between Renzo Gracie and Frank Shamrock will most likely take place this fall.
- Our rumors section has also been updated…