So now that Alistair Overeem is likely going to be forced out of what would have been one hell of an exciting UFC heavyweight title bout against Junior dos Santos next month, who is going to step in to take his place?
Pushing a rematch with Cain Velaquez aside, the only other contender on a win streak right now would be former champion Frank Mir, who has to know that he may be asked to move from his UFC 146 clash with Velasquez to the main event at any moment now. In fact, he does. From an official statement he put out this evening:
"I would be excited if given the opportunity to compete for the UFC's heavyweight title at UFC 146 if the reports released earlier today regarding Alistair Overeem failing his 'A' sample drug test are true," Mir is quoted as saying in the statement.
"I have been fortunate to be able to fight in the UFC for more than a decade, and it is a dream of mine to become the first three-time heavyweight champion in the UFC. Being able to fight Junior Dos Santos would put me one step closer to that dream."
It's also interesting to note that in a response to a fan on Twitter that brought up Mir as a potential replacement for Overeem, UFC President Dana White said that he "couldn't disagree" with Mir as the answer.
While last month's rematch between Frank Mir and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira was going to be a memorable one no matter what, it's hard to say that anyone imagined the outcome that occurred.
The first meeting between the two submission specialists took place in December 2008, right after both finished up stints as opposing coaches on a season of "The Ultimate Fighter" reality show. The fight never hit the ground, and Mir used surprisingly superior striking to become the first fighter to ever stop Nogueira.
Since their original clash, Mir had continued to remain among the top heavyweights in the world, while Nogueira battled injuries and brutal losses alike. Many pundits thought that Mir would use his power to stop Nogueira again, in a similar fashion as UFC 92. Mir stopped Nogueira, but not with strikes, and made history in the process.
Former longtime UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz has accomplished almost everything in mixed martial arts, including recently saving his career with the organization.
However, at 36 years-of-age and a nearly 14-year career plagued with ups and downs and in recent years, an array of injuries, "The Huntington Beach Bad Boy" says that he has almost had enough.
Watch and listen to Ortiz discuss his potential retirement next year as well as comments from UFC 140 main card fighters Jon Jones, Lyoto Machida, Frank Mir, the Nogueira brothers and others after the jump.
It's hard to believe that another major UFC event is upon us, but UFC 140 is just days away. Emanating from the Air Canada Centre in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, the UFC's second visit to what could be MMA's biggest fan base features Jon Jones making the second defense of the UFC light heavyweight title against the ever-elusive Lyoto Machida.
Other high-profile main card bouts include a pivotal rematch between former heavyweight champions and opposing "TUF" coaches Frank Mir and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira as well as Tito Ortiz attempting to stave off retirement once more against the younger Antonio Rogerio Nogueira.
After the jump is a preview of the main card, including a breakdown of the storylines leading into each fight as well as what to look for during the bouts.
It's hard to believe, but UFC 140 is already upon us. The event, which is headlined by Jon Jones making his second defense of the UFC light heavyweight title, emanates from the Air Canada Centre in Toronto, Ontario, Canada this Saturday night.
Jones will put his belt on the line against former champion Lyoto Machida, who secured another crack at the title courtesy of a highlight-reel KO of UFC hall-of-famer Randy Couture back in April. UFC 140 will also feature an important rematch between former champions Frank Mir and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira as well as a battle between younger brother Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and UFC icon Tito Ortiz.
An embedded video after the jump features "Countdown to UFC 140" which previews the three high-profile contests that will take place this weekend.
Vitor Ribeiro. Photo courtesy of Fighting and Entertainment Group.
— Brazilian lightweight standout Vitor “Shaolin” Ribeiro has reportedly signed a multi-fight deal with Strikeforce. The promotion is expected to officially announce the signing shortly. While Ribeiro may actually still be under contract with DREAM, the two organizations share a talent-exchange program. Ribeiro returned to active competition earlier this year after an 18-month hiatus, defeating Katsuhiko Nagata and falling to Shinya Aoki thus far. [Sherdog.com]
—Strikeforce lightweight champion Josh Thomson will be sidelined until at least December after breaking his leg for the second time this year during training. The injury will now keep Thomson from a potential showdown against Gilbert Melendez at Strikeforce’s “Fedor vs. Rogers” event on November 7 in Chicago. According to Thomson, a return bout for him could be possible at a yet-to-be-announced event on December 19. [MMA Weekly]
Dan Henderson. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
The matchup that will eventually be selected to headline UFC 105 in Manchester, England on November 15 is anyone’s guess at this point, but for now, we at least have two fights that could be under consideration for the spot.
Despite reports stating that Dan Henderson isn’t interested in a showdown with fellow UFC middleweight contender Nate Marquardt, UFC officials are reportedly targeting a fight between the two as the main event of UFC 105 according to MMA FanHouse‘s Ariel Helwani.
Brock Lesnar. Photo property of Ultimate Fighting Championship.
Former WWE superstar, Brock Lesnar, successfully defended his UFC heavyweight title against interim champion Frank Mir on Saturday night at UFC 100: Making History.
Lesnar assumed the role of the heel before any punches were even thrown. Referee Herb Dean called both fighters to the middle for the pre-fight instructions and moments later Lesnar turned and stomped away, refusing to touch gloves with Mir.
Jon Fitch def. Paulo Thiago - Unanimous Decision
Brock Lesnar def. Frank Mir - KO Round 2 1:48
Georges St. Pierre def. Thiago Alves - Unanimous Decision
Dan Henderson def. Michael Bisping - KO Round 2 3:20
Yoshihiro Akiyama def. Alan Belcher - Split Decision (30-27, 28-29, 29-28)
Mark Coleman def. Stephan Bonnar - Unanimous Decision
Jim Miller def. Mac Danzig - Unanimous Decision
Jon Jones def. Jake O’Brien - Submission (D’Arce Choke) Round 2 2:43
Dong-Hyun Kim def. T.J. Grant - Unanimous Decision
Tom Lawlor def. CB Dollaway - Submission (Guillotine Choke) Round 1 0:55
Matt Grice def. Shannon Gugerty - Submission (Guillotine Choke) Round 1 2:36
Tom Lawlor sporting “Just Bleed” paint. Photo property of Ultimate Fighting Championship.
The official weigh-in results for UFC 100: Making History are in and all of the fighters successfully made weight in preparation for their bouts Saturday night at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The card will be headlined by a UFC heavyweight title bout featuring champion Brock Lesnar taking on interim champion Frank Mir. UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre will defend his title against Thaigo Alves as well.
Brock Lesnar (265 lbs) vs. Frank Mir (245 lbs)
Georges St. Pierre (170 lbs) vs. Thiago Alves (170 lbs)
Dan Henderson (185 lbs) vs. Michael Bisping (186 lbs)
Yoshihio Akiyama (185 lbs) vs. Alan Belcher (186 lbs)
Jon Fitch (170 lbs) vs. Paulo Thiago (170 lbs)
Mark Coleman (205 lbs) vs. Stephan Bonnar (205 lbs)
Mac Danzig (154 lbs) vs. Jim Miller (155 lbs)
Jon Jones (206 lbs) vs. Jake O’Brien (206 lbs)
Dong Hyun Kim (171 lbs) vs. T.J. Grant (170 lbs)
C.B. Dollaway (186 lbs) vs. Tom Lawlor (184 lbs)
Matt Grice (155 lbs) vs. Shannon Gugerty (156 lbs)