Fight Teams

Yves Edwards Joins ATT

American Top Team has announced that UFC and PRIDE veteran Yves Edwards has officially joined the squad:

Yves Edwards has offically joined American Top Team!

We are extremely proud that Yves has chosen American Top Team to help resurrect his career. Working together with Yves, we hope to energize his training and propel him back to the top of the lightweight division.

Yves will come to the main ATT academy in Coconut Creek, FL. to help prepare for his fights while still maintaining his place in Texas.

ATT also announced that Edwards is preparing for a return to action in October. No word on what promotion the fight will take place in.

CKA: Sep 18, 2007

News and Notes

- MMA Junkie is reporting a lot of news lately…

The UFC has apparently signed former PRIDE, Shooto, and Pancrase veteran Akihiro Gono and has sent UFC welterweight Tamdan McCrory a contract proposing the fight according to McCrory’s manager:

“He’ll (be at) UFC 78 if he accepts the fight, which I assume he will considering he has fought top guys his whole career,” Ciotoli.

”(The UFC’s been) trying to get me on that card, being that I’m from the area and have a strong fan base in New Jersey,” McCrory told us last month.

Marvin Eastman has been forced to pull out of his scheduled bout against Demian Maia at UFC 77 after undergoing eye surgery:

“I had a weak spot on my retina for a long time, and about two weeks ago, it tore a little bit,” Eastman said. “It felt like sleepy eye. I went in to check it out last Wednesday at 3:30 p.m., and I was in surgery by 7. It’s fixed now, and I’ve got to chill a month and can’t fight until November.“

No word as of yet on a replacement opponent for Eastman.

Chris Lytle may be heading over to the WEC for a possible title shot against WEC Welterweight Champion Carlos Condit:

MMA fan favorite and “The Ultimate Fighter 4” welterweight runner-up Chris Lytle may be leaving the UFC for Zuffa LLC’s other fight promotion — the WEC — and may be in line for an immediate title shot.

In fact, a source close to current WEC welterweight champion Carlos Condit (21-4) first contacted MMAjunkie.com about the possibility, saying UFC and WEC officials were discussing the potential title fight. However, the WEC recently folded a proposed November event into its Dec. 12 fight card, and as of now, the organization has far more fighters than it has fight slots.

A reliable source tell us that a Condit-Lytle fight would happen no sooner than February 2008 — if then — because of the backlog.

- Brazilian MMA website Tatame is reporting that former PRIDE star Ricardo Arona may currently be in contract talks with the UFC.

Hat tip to UFC Mania for the Arona link.

- So Matt Hamill has a torn ACL? He also fought Michael Bisping with that torn ACL? Read what Adam Morgan and 411Mania have to say about that.

- It seems that the UFC has took down UFC Takedown:

Late last week, Matt Cava of UFCtakedown.com was issued a Cease and Desist by Zuffa, LLC. He has been told to remove his website. They specifically nailed him for using UFC in his URL as well as broadcasting illegal fight videos. September 8th’s UFC 75: Champion v. Champion videos as well as a fight between Ricardo Arona and Quinton Jackson were specifically mentioned. As of today, UFCtakedown.com no longer exists. In the meantime, Matt has been able to secure MMAtakedown.net for the time being.

- Brigham Young University has banned Versus from the school’s channel selection, citing costs and the broadcasting of MMA as the reasons:

BYU has banned access to Versus on its campus cable, citing cost and content issues such as ultimate fighting.

Touch of gloves to Fight Opinion for that one.

Radio Schedule:

Luke Thomas, Sam Caplan, and Matt Cava recap EliteXC: Uprising and preview UFC 76.

12-1 PM EST - TAGG Radio
1-3 PM EST - The Jordan Breen Show
3-5 PM EST - The Stephen Quadros Show
3-4 PM EST - The Fight Network Radio
9-10 PM EST - MMAWeekly’s Sound Off
11 PM EST - Knockout Radio

Media Links

Sherdog: Tale of Two Coaches
MMA Weekly: Catching up with Matt Lindland
Fight Opinion: Pro Elite pays big for KOTC & Cage Rage
Fightlinker: Kang forsakes America, may secretly be a communist
Bloody Elbow: How to Build a MMA Cage?
Houston Chronicle: Fitch gets his shot at UFC’s main stage
Daily Star: Dancing Iceman’s Hot Move
Chicago Sports: Keeping up with Montini’s Chase Beebe

IFL Releases Shawn Tompkins

The IFL has announced that it has come to terms on the release of Los Angeles Anacondas head coach Shawn Tompkins.

IFL President Kurt Otto stated that he released Tompkins from his duties after finding that the Anacondas were not receiving enough time with Tompkins due to his duties as a trainer at Xtreme Couture in Las Vegas:

“It was my decision to let him go,” stated Otto. “Shawn is a good guy and a great trainer, but I just think that he spread himself too thin. At this level, you have to be 100% committed. It had to do more internally with the team. I think he spread himself too thin. He was making too many commitments and his team suffered because of that.”

Otto also went on to reveal that Tompkins’ release will not be the only coaching change in the IFL in the near future and that more changes will be announced in the coming months.

HDNet Fights Conference Call Notes

HDNet Fights hosted a conference call earlier this afternoon to promote their new venture into the world of mixed martial arts as well as their inaugural event which will take place on October 13th at the American Airlines Arena in Dallas, Texas. HDNet Fights officials eatured on the call were HDNet owner Mark Cuban and UFC and PRIDE veteran Guy Mezger. The fighters participating were Erik Paulson, Jeff Ford, Justin Eilers, Jason House, and Freddie Espiricueta.

Continue reading "HDNet Fights Conference Call Notes"

CKA: Sep 12, 2007

A news filled Coffee and Kick Ass today folks…

News and Notes

- Our rumors section has been updated…

- Mark Cuban will be holding a press conference and conference call concerning his new HDNet Fights venture. We will have a full report later today.

- If you haven’t already, please check out Randy Couture’s signed gloves from UFC 74 that are currently up for auction by the Ryan Bennett Memorial Fund. Bidding ends on Thursday night.

- K-1 Hero’s parent company FEG announced a rematch between PRIDE veterans Sergei Kharitonov and Alistair Overeem at the K-1 Hero’s show taking place on September 17th.

- Duane Ludwig will now face Mario Stapel at this Saturday’s Ring of Fire event after his original opponent, Dragan Baklua, broke his hand during a recent training session. Despite all of this, Ludwig has trained hard and is ready to face whomever is standing in front of him:

“I was getting ready to face a stand up guy, but Mario is much more well rounded,” stated Ludwig. “He is more of a true MMA fighter. I changed my game plan accordingly. For this fight, I tightened up my game by training at Xtreme Couture in Las Vegas. The training was great and I feel prepared for whatever happens. I love fighting at home and can’t wait for Saturday.”

- Jeff Monson, Matt Horwich, and Tara LaRosa all won medals in last weekend’s World Grappling Championships in Turkey.

- Spike TV announced yesterday that UFC 75 was the most watched MMA event in the history of North America:

UFC 75 was the most watched mixed martial arts event ever in North America, drawing 4.7 million viewers, Spike TV officials said in a news release Tuesday.

The Sept. 8 event from the O2 Arena in London, England, featured UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton Jackson’s win over PRIDE champ Dan Henderson in a title unification bout. Airing delayed on Spike, the telecast peaked at 5.6 million viewers during Jackson’s battle against Henderson. The show’s ratings were particularly strong among men age 18-34 and men 18-49. For those audiences, UFC 75 beat everything on television, Spike officials said, including ABC’s NASCAR race and Michigan vs. Oregon college football game, as well as ESPN’s Virginia Tech vs. LSU and Notre Dame vs. Penn St. games.

Spike TV said its telecast of UFC 75 had an overall rating of 3.1 (3.0 million homes), including a 5.7 rating for men 18-34 (1.6 million), 4.5 for men 18-49 (2.5 million) and 6.2 for men 25-34 (1.0 million).

- The Honolulu Star Bulletin is reporting that Justin McCully has been forced to pull out of his scheduled bout against Christian Wellisch for undisclosed reasons. Wellisch will now face Scott Junk”

Kailua’s Scott Junk will make his UFC debut Sept. 22 against Christian Wellisch in a heavyweight fight at UFC 76: Knockout in Anaheim, Calif.

“It’s 100 percent going to happen,” Junk said. Wellisch (8-2) was originally scheduled to face Justin McCully.

Junk was notified about the fight yesterday, just 11 days before the event. He has put together six consecutive wins, including a TKO victory over Jimmy Ambriz back in June.

“It caught me off guard, but it’s good because I have been training this whole time,” Junk said.

Touch of gloves to UFC Mania for finding that interesting piece.

- The Governor of Illinois has signed legislation that will legalize MMA starting in 2008

- Michael Bisping’s father was apparently attacked in the parking lot of the O2 arena after the event.

Hat tip to Fight Opinion for that one.

- Sam Caplan of Five Ounces of Pain is reporting via Tagg Radio that Gilbert Melendez will be taking on Shooto’s Tetsuji Kato at Strikeforce’s Playboy Mansion event on September 29th.

Radio Schedule

12-1 PM - Tagg Radio
12:30-3 PM - The Savage Dog Show
3-4 PM - Fight Network Radio
3-5 PM - The Beatdown
9-10 PM - MMAWeekly’s Sound Off
11 PM - Knockout Radio

Report: Gouveia Pulls Out of Lambert Fight

Greg Savage of Sherdog is reporting that Wilson Gouveia has been forced to pull out of his scheduled bout against Jason Lambert at UFC 76 after suffering a broken nose.

Gouveia apparently suffered the injury during a recent training session last week. Officials at American Top Team, where Gouveia had been training for the fight, stated that the break is very severe and that they expect Gouveia to be out of action for at least 3-4 months.

A replacement opponent for Lambert has not yet been announced. Savage also reported that the UFC is said to be considering scrapping the bout completely and using Lambert at a later event this year.

Update 7:00 PM: We originally reported Lambert as being the injured fighter when it is actually Gouveia that was forced to be removed from the card. We apologize for the error.

The UFC has announced that it has decided to put on only 8 fights at next weekend’s UFC 76 and will look to match up Lambert and Gouveia at a later date:

Due to a broken nose suffered in training, Wilson Gouveia has been scrapped from his UFC 76 bout with Jason Lambert at the Honda Center in Anaheim, California on September 22nd. The intriguing 205-pound matchup is expected to be rescheduled in the future, and due to time constraints in finding a suitable opponent for Lambert, the UFC 76 card will now feature eight bouts.

EliteXC: Uprising Conference Call Notes

Showtime hosted a conference call earlier this afternoon in preparation for the upcoming EliteXC: Uprising event scheduled to take place on September 15th in Honolulu, Hawaii. The fighters featured on the call were ICON Middleweight Champion Robbie Lawler, EliteXC Middleweight Champion Murlio Rua through the use of an interpreter, Jake Shields, and Gina Carano. Other officials participating in the call were EliteXC President Gary Shaw and ICON Sport President T. Jay Thompson.

Continue reading "EliteXC: Uprising Conference Call Notes"

CKA: Sep 6, 2007

News and Notes

- Our rumors section has been updated.

- Spencer Fisher has stated that his next UFC fight will take place in November…

- UFC Junkie has now become MMA Junkie.

- It seems that TUF 5 alumnus Corey Hill has opted not to join Matt Hughes’ newly formed team after all:

Hill was supposed to be one of the four founding fighters, but according to Fiore, he has decided to explore other options.

“Cory is the type of fighter we are trying to bring to our gym,” Fiore said. “Nonetheless, we wish him the best of luck with his training and fighting career.“

- Yesterday’s Faber-Curran announcement was done in conjunction with the WEC’s new deal with Versus, which will bring 15 more live events and 20 more shows of Wrekcage to the network.

- UFC veteran Darrell Gholar has announced that he will be opening a training center in Austin, Texas.

- Showtime has hired sports producer David Dinkins to oversee the production of boxing and mixed martial arts telecasts for the network:

When asked about the future of MMA on the network, Dinkins said, “This is a tremendous opportunity for us to put our stamp on a new and growing sport. We plan to be innovative while maintaining the same high quality that viewers have come to expect from our boxing telecasts.”

- UFC middleweight Terry Martin is filing a lawsuit against the Chicago Police Department for false arrest:

Ultimate Fighting Championship rising star Terry Martin was falsely arrested as he was on his way into a police station to report police harassment, according to a lawsuit filed Wednesday.

Martin, 26, is suing Mayor Daley and Chicago Police officials and officers for misconduct, alleging that corruption within the Chicago Police Department led to Martin being arrested and prosecuted. Martin was stopped by police Oct. 22, 2005, for alleged minor traffic offenses while driving with his girlfriend, a 911 operator. He claims the officers used racial slurs during the encounter and other disrespectful comments. The next evening, according to the suit, Martin went to the police station to report the incident and was spotted by the same two officers.

‘‘The police said Terry drove past the station, and when the officers turned on their sirens, he did a U-turn and fled,’’ Martin’s attorney, Blake Horowitz, said. ‘‘They said he got up to a half-mile away before they brought him back and arrested him for fleeing and eluding. During the trial, another officer said he saw Terry pull up to the station calmly and they arrested him. He would have been able to see if there was a chase.’‘

Radio Schedule

12-1 PM EST - TAGG Radio
3-5 PM EST - The Jordan Breen Show
3-4 PM EST - The Fight Network Radio
9-10 PM EST - MMAWeekly’s Sound Off
11 PM EST - Knockout Radio

CKA: Sep 5, 2007

News and Notes

- According to his management team, it seems that Fedor is going to sign with a promotion very soon:

That situation isn’t likely to remain so for much longer though, as speculation has swirled around Fedor’s contract status, or lack thereof, as of late. The hot rumor over the past few days has been that he has inked a deal with the UFC.

Not so says Reed Wallace, President of White Chocolate Management, who represents Fedor Emelianenko in the United States.

“Fedor has not signed anything [as of Tuesday afternoon],” Wallace informed MMAWeekly. “He’s going to do something soon. They can’t negotiate forever.”

So Wallace and company are getting fed up with waiting, just like the rest of the MMA world. It’s nothing surprising, but Apy Echteld sayng that contract talks with the UFC are going well certainly is:

Fedor’s managers, Vadim Finkelstein and Apy Echteld, met with the UFC late last week, but a signed contract has yet to materialize. “UFC discussions went very well according to Apy,” said Wallace in reference to the meeting. Initially it seemed the UFC was unwilling to make any modifications to their contract, but it now appears there has been some movement.

“I can say that they are very close to a deal, but some last minute players have stepped up as well,” he said.

One of those players as we all now know is Mark Cuban. The other is assumed to be K-1 Hero’s.

- Sherdog is reporting that Rumina Sato will take on Hideki Kadowaki at Shooto’s Back to our Roots show on September 22nd:

Shooto charisma Rumina Sato (Pictures) will fight Wajyutsu Keisyukai grappling ace Hideki Kadowaki (Pictures) on the Sept. 22 installment of the “Back to Our Roots” series, a source confirmed to Sherdog.com.

Leading Shooto promoter Sustain is expected to officially announce the Sato-Kadowaki bout later this week. The match-up will be the ninth, and likely final bout added to Sept. 22’s fight card.

- MMA Weekly has released their latest set of rankings...

Radio Schedule

Fightlinker Podcast : The Low Blow Episode 15

12-1 PM - Tagg Radio
1-3 PM - The Savage Dog Show
3-4 PM - Fight Network Radio
3-5 PM - The Beatdown
9-10 PM - MMAWeekly’s Sound Off
11 PM - Knockout Radio

Media Links

Sherdog: Dan Henderson Training Pictures
UFC Junkie: “Team Hughes” Fighters Debut Sept. 15
UFC Mania: UFC Quick Quote: Chris Leben ‘in the best shape’ ever for Terry Martin
Bloody Elbow: Lift the Ban Watch
Fight Opinion: Wednesday war room: BMA and Big Brother
Fightlinker: Dana White treats people like shit

CKA: Sep 3, 2007

News and Notes

- Mike Swick has pulled out of his bout with Jonathan Goulet at UFC Fight Night 11 due to a rib injury sustained while training. Dustin Hazelett is being discussed as a possible replacement for Swick.

- Sherdog is reporting that Mark Cuban, owner of the NBA’s Dallas Mavericks, is negotiating for the services of PRIDE heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko.

- Mark “The Machine” Hominick will be fighting Ben Greer (10-2) at TKO 30: Apocalypse.

- Here is the full card for Extreme Challenge 81 which is scheduled to take place October 6th at the Sovereign Bank Arena in Trenton, New Jersey.

Jon Murphy vs. Joe Leyva
Justin Eilers vs. Wade Hamilton
Hector Urbina vs. Aaron Miesner
Zach Mackowsky vs. Daniel Martinez
Chris Lawson vs. Lennox Chance
Stephen Haigh vs. Anthony Lapsley
Mike Groves vs. Jorge Villela
Robert Beraun vs. Nathan Carey
Billy Kidd vs. Yaotzin Meza
Matt Buckley vs. Rick Gonzoles
Matt Jaggers vs. Israel Giron Melchor
Tim Bradley vs. Rene Diosdado Perez
Armando David vs. Victor Meza


Media Links:

UFC Junkie: Interview with Houston Alexander
MMAWeekly: MMAB Libs II: Writing an MMA Hatchet Piece
UFC: Dan Henderson – A Long Trek from Mobile to London
The Fayetteville Observer: MMA is the Ultimate Challenge
WEC: WEC 30 Preview

Page 7 of 11 pages ‹ First  < 5 6 7 8 9 >  Last ›