News and Notes
- Rage in the Cage has announced the finalized card for their event this Saturday night…
Rich Beecroft vs Gilbert Aldana
Lars Haven vs Bryan Pardoe
David Valadez vs Billy Terry
Jason Harris vs Jeff Horlacher
William Diaz vs Joe Cronin
Jeremy Floyd vs Ray Robinson
Robert Meehan vs Danny Martinez
Lyle Tenfingers vs George Hartman
Jason Parent vs Mike Mada
Tomas Rodriguez vs Joe Martin
Omur Corr vs Mike Peterson
Nick Smith vs Austin Pascucci
Doug Moore vs Derithe Harper
Ty Gilstrap vs Adam Alband
- Duane Ludwig till take on Shinya Kamuzawa at Ring of Fire 28: Evolution on February 28th…
- Benji Radach is the newest member of the IFL’s Los Angeles Anacondas. He will be fighting at middleweight for coach Bas Rutten.
- Shooto World Welterweight Champion Tatsuyva Kawajiri relinquished his title yesterday after announcing he would be able to defend his belt at the next Shooto event on February 17th because of a broken left thumb.
Miami Herald: Ultimate Fighter 2 winner Rashad Evans to main event local UFC event
Sherdog: Clanging Cajones
News and Notes
- The next WEC show will be March 24th at The Joint in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- PRIDE has added the following bouts to their upcoming show Pride 33: Second Coming:
* Takanori Gomi vs. Nick Diaz
* Hayato Sakurai vs. Mac Danzig
* Kazuo Misaki vs. Frank Trigg
* Kazuhiro Nakamura vs. Travis Wiuff
- Matt Lindland has confirmed through ‘The Fight Network’ that he signed a three-fight deal with BodogFight. All of the fights will take place in the heavyweight division.
- It’s looking like Tito Oritz vs. Forrest Griffin II is a strong possibility for UFC 70 in Manchester.
News and Notes
- Nick Diaz will be fighting on the upcoming PRIDE USA show. It is expected that he’ll fight PRIDE Lightweight Champion Takanori Gomi.
- Drew McFedries will fight Martin Kampmann at UFC 68: The Uprising.
- We have confirmed that Hayato Sakurai will face Mac Danzig at PRIDE 33.
- Matt Lindland confirmed on ‘The Beatdown’ that he will in fact be fighting Fedor Emelianenko.
News and Notes
- Last night fans were given the opportunity to witness the first Zuffa-ran World Extreme Cagefighting show. McCullough and Faber reigned victorious in their respective bouts earning their WEC titles. Here are the full results…
- Richard Crunkilton def. Mike Joy - Submission (Anaconda Choke)
- Antonio Banuelos def. Mike French - Decision (Unanimous)
- Carlos Condit def. Kyle Jensen - Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
- Alex Karalexis def. Olaf Alfonso - TKO (Referee Stoppage)
- Brendan Seguin def. Fernando Gonzalez - Decision (Unanimous)
- Logan Clark def. Blas Cedena - TKO (Referee Stoppage)
- John Alessio def. Brian Gassaway - Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
- Urijah Faber def. Joe Pearson - Submission (Strikes)
- Rob McCullough def. Kit Cope - Submission (Strikes)
- Dave Medd will take on Chris Clements at TKO 28: Inevitable.
- UFC veteran Dan Lauzon suffered his second straight loss this weekend to the hands of Deividas Taurosevicius at Cage Fury Fighting Championship 3: “Battleground”.
- Here is the full card for Cage Rage 20...
1. Eric “Butterbean” Esch vs. James “The Colossus” Thompson
2. Mark Kerr vs. Mustapha Al Turk
3. Tengiz Tedoradze vs. Rob Broughton
4. Dan Severn vs. Dave Legeno
5. Daijiro Matsui vs. Zelg Galesic
6. Mark Buchanan vs. Robert Berry
7. Tom Howard vs. Tom Blackledge
8. Masakazu Imanari vs. Robbie Olivier
9. Jason Barrett vs. Jeremy Bailey
10. Ronnie Mann vs. Ashley Grimshaw
11. Marios Zaromskis vs. Paul Taylor
12. Michael Johnson vs. Lee Doski
News and Notes
- MMA journeyman Travis Fulton suffered a KO loss to the hands of former heavyweight contender Lou Savarese.
- Shinya Aoki will make his return to Shooto when he faces Akira Kikuchi in a rematch as he defends his Shooto 167-pound belt.
- UFC veteran Wes Sims will headline the March 22nd Palace Fighting card when he faces Anthony Fuller.
“I like this show. It’s a great setup,” Sims said. “For this being the first show, I’m very happy with the number of people here. If I had to rate this promotion on a scale of 1-10, I’d give it a 10 for a small show. If it keeps growing, I think it will be a great big show.”
- The WEC has announced that Versus will begin airing events in the summer. Versus will air three live fights and six one-hour highlight shows.
- NBCSports.com has added the UFC to their sports coverage.
News and Notes
- Renato “Babalu” Sobral will make his return to the octagon at UFC 68 on March 3rd when he faces Jason Lambert. Sobral last appeared in the octagon at UFC 62 when he suffered a devastating knock out loss to the hands of the UFC light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell.
- Martin Kampmann will be fighting on the upcoming UFC 68 card, his opponent is currently unknown.
- It looks like Matt Lindland will be making his way over to BodogFight to face PRIDE heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko.
- Last night Dana White took part in a special chat for all of the ‘UFC Fight Club’ members. Here is some interesting information that came out of the chat…
Mason: Have you ever considered having a legends type fight on a card, such as Randy vs. Bas Rutten?
Dana White: We always want to put on the fights the fans want to see. I would love to bring Bas back.
rickrock: Would you like to see Wanderlei Silva back in the octagon? Has there been any steps taken to try and sign him?
Dana White: I would love to have Silva in the UFC, it’s always my goal to get the best fighters in the world to fight for us. Hopefully we will see that fight in 2007.
Poundem: Dana, were do you see the UFC in 5 years from now?
Dana White: Poundem, I see us GLOBAL.
tootall2: Do you intend to keep bringing the better - fighters from other organizations, or is there a plan to absorb other organizations, such as Pride - and thanks for bringing excitement back to professional fighting.
Dana White: Totall, it’s my goal to acquire all the best fighters in the world and if things go my way, I will have them all by the end of year.
Poundem: What is your plan for Fedor, or do you have one? Would you like to get him in the UFC?
Dana White: Poundem, I want Fedor and everyone else in the UFC.
DrWu: If you could change one thing about the rules of fighting in the octagon, what would it be and why?
Dana White: I would add knees to the head.
dnkyntz: Could you talk about the rumors regarding Zuffa acquiring Pride?
Dana White: Obviously we are out there acquiring other MMA companies right now and if Pride is for sale, I’m interested.
Raiderbeast:Before leaving tonight, can you tell us if another big Pride fighter will show up in the UFC anytime soon?
Dana White: Count on it!!
For the folks back home, the 5-7 Fisher was going to the relatively big city of Bettendorf, Iowa to train in some sport he called mixed martial arts. He might as well have told them he was going to be the star in a high-wire trapeze act, because that probably got more recognition from mainstream America in 2002.
But fast forward to 2006, and Fisher has not only carved out a niche for himself in MMA, currently the fastest growing sport in the world, but he’s one of the featured fighters on a Spike TV fight card on January 25th and his face is plastered on the event’s poster. So when he visits family in Cashiers, things have changed a bit for him.
“They love it,” said Fisher. “They keep up with it, and when I go back home they say, ‘hey, I saw you on TV the other day,’ and it’s a big deal to them. It’s nice to know that I have fans. Before I made it on TV, I’d go back home and people would say ‘what are you doing now?’ I’d tell them and they’d go ‘Oh jeez,’ and it was kind of a joke until they saw it on TV and they saw that there were real punches and real kicks and now there’s a respect that goes along with it.”
MMAWeekly: UFC Champ Ready for Cro Cop and Couture
News and Notes
- Caol Uno will make his return to the octagon March 3rd at UFC 68 in Ohio. Uno’s opponent will be lightweight contender and ‘The Ultimate Fighter II’ winner Joe Stevenson.
- MMAWeekly has Dan Lauzon, Matt Wiman and Nathan Diaz listed as fighters on the upcoming season of ‘The Ultimate Fighter 5’.
- The IFL has announced that the fight between Vernon White and Raphael Davis has been cancelled because it was not approved by the California State Athletic Commission.
The reasoning behind the decision was that the difference in experience between the two fighters gave one an unfair advantage over another and therfore the bout could be sanctioned. The CSAC is right - White has fought in more than 50 bouts while this would have just been Davis’ third career fight.
This now means that there will be no light-heavyweight fight in tomorrow’s matchup between the Nevada Lions and the San Jose Razorclaws. A second lightweight fight between Joe Martin and Clint Coronel will take place of this one.
- The California State Athletic Commission announced yesterday that MMA promotions seeking to put on a sanctioned event in the state now have the option of using a cage or a ring. The IFL’s event on Friday night will be the first time that a ring will be used in for MMA competition in California’s history…
- Jeff Monson will make his return to the UK at Cage Warriors: Showdown 3, defending his heavyweight belt against an opponent that has yet to be named. However many are speculating that Monson will be taking on Mario Neto in his third title defense.
Monson’s fight with Fedor on the March 3rd Bodog card has been cancelled. The bout has not yet been rescheduled although it is expected they will just move the fight to Bodog’s April event without a problem…
News and Notes
- UFCmania is reporting that John Halverson will make his octagon debut against Roger Huerta. Also on the card will be Terry Martin versus Jorge Rivera.
- Yoshihiro Akiyama has been suspended indefinitely by K-1 after he was caught using an oil-based substance in his fight against Kazushi Sakuraba.
- Here is what will be on ‘Inside the UFC’ this Thursday…
Rogan will sit down with UFC light heavyweight contender Rashad Evans.
He’ll talk to Randy Couture about Pros vs. Joes.
Fans will get to take a look at the UFC’s newest ring girl, Ali Sonoma.
News and Notes
- Fight Opinion is reporting that PRIDE Lightweight Champion Takanori Gomi may be on his way to the UFC. Gomi has apparently received the green light from PRIDE which will allow him to fight in the UFC. In doing so he’ll be representing PRIDE unlike Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic who is now a UFC fighter.
- Former UFC Heavyweight Champion Ricco Rodriguez will be making his pro boxing debut against unbeaten Chase Shields. Also on the card will be MMA journeyman Travis Fulton who is fighting Lou Savarese. Savarese is an accomplished boxer who has faced the likes of former champions James “Buster” Douglas, Tim Witherspoon, Mike Tyson and George Foreman.
- Sergei Kharitonov will make his return to the ring at PRIDE 33 against Gilbert Yvel.
IGN: Flock Talks UFC
Here is a little excerpt from the interview:
IGN: This isn’t the first time THQ has handled a mixed-martial arts game. What does this mean for THQ? What makes this announcement and this decision so important?
Kelly Flock: The previous games we did were picked up from Japan, and they were based on Pride FC. These games are a different story. What’s happened since then is that the popularity of the UFC has really kicked into gear. It’s amazingly popular right now. We saw the numbers, how it was taking off, how our demographic was interested, and we felt like it was time to bring it back to the interactive arena. The response from people we know about it all think this is a great move.
IGN: What are the two or three most important elements of your announcement?
Flock: It’s a huge announcement because most of the active videogame publishers were after the license. But Zuffa selected us. That’s the biggest element of our announcement. The reason THQ got the license was because we were the ones most passionate about it. We have a big presence in the category and we have a couple people internally at THQ who really get it. We really understand the property, its value. We know how to launch these kinds of games, and we have the ability to execute. That’s why Zuffa picked us; that’s why it’s important.
IGN: Will this be an annual game?
Flock: That’s our expectation. UFC lends itself to an annual update, so we expect to have annual iterations of the game with new features, updated and upgraded graphics and gameplay, the whole deal.
The Fight Network: The UFC UK Rumor Mill
Crooks wants to know:
What’s next for Tito Ortiz?
Thanks for the question Crooks. At this point it’s tough to say what’s next for Tito Ortiz. He is in a situation where he has lost twice to the current UFC Light Heavyweight Champion. The one positive for Ortiz was he looked great in the fight with Liddell. It’s tough to say what the UFC will do next for Tito, he may get a comback fight much like Matt Hughes and Rich Franklin against someone who is tough but should be beaten.
I currently think the best match the UFC could put together is a showdown between Renato “Babalu” Sobral and Tito Ortiz. The one downer is the fact that both guys are coming off tough losses to Chuck Liddell. The UFC may want to give them a chance to get a win or two before they set this one up but they desperately need to in the near future. The fans want it and both guys are very popular, marketable fighters.
Ortiz hasn’t hesitated from speaking his mind on the situation with Babalu either as he called him a “B level fighter”. The war of words took place in September after Babalu lost to Chuck Liddell at UFC 62. Ortiz went onto the radio and said:
“Renato Babalu is not really as good as they try to make him to be. They kind of painted the picture more of what they think. I think that was a typical fight for Liddell. That fight will go the same way each and every time. The first time went 2 minutes and 30 seconds and this second one went 1 minute. Renato Babalu is nor really that great of a fighter. He’s a great ‘B’ fighter and an average ‘A’ fighter. He’s not at the level of (Randy) Couture, Liddell or myself.”
Babalu fired back saying:
“I earned my title shot after my results in the octagon. I won my way up to the title shot against Liddell and Tito has his fight guaranteed on a contract. I won my way up with 10 wins in a row with the last three being in the UFC by submission. Tito had two victories in his recent UFC fights with the judges helping him… very controversial results, not convincing!!! Even though I believe it’s impossible, I really hope Tito beats Liddell because it will be easier to smash his face and get the title from him instead of Liddell.”
It’s tough to say who will be next but we know one thing, Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and Tito Ortiz won’t be locking horns in the octagon as they are both friends and training partners. As you said in your email there have been “rumors” floating around that he may get matched up with either Babalu, Evans, Griffin, or Jardine.
Right now I’d say Jardine or Babalu would be the most likely to be Ortiz’s next opponent. Jardine is coming off of a big win over Forrest Griffin and he is now in a situation where he has to face the division’s best and he’ll find that in Ortiz. After that I’d say Babalu vs. Ortiz is next with the winner getting tossed back into title contention. I don’t see Griffin vs. Ortiz happening right now as both guys are coming off of tough losses and being poster boys of the UFC it will do neither fighter any good losing. Griffin doesn’t want to face a healthy Tito Ortiz after being knocked out by Keith Jardine.
One thing we need to keep in mind is the UFC also acquired the contract of Lyoto Machida so he is a possible opponent for all of the top guys in the division. He will be fighting Sam Hogar at UFC 67 and if he wins that the future will be bright.
So at this point I’d say Jardine seems like the front-runner followed by Babalu.
Feel free to e-mail us your thoughts or questions.