News and Notes
- UFC veteran Jonathan “Road Warrior” Goulet added to his winning streak this past weekend when he disposed of Jesse Bongfeldt early in the first at TKOMMA Tourney 2007. His next fight will come June 1st at TKO 29: Repercussion when he faces fellow UFC veteran Steve Vigneault for the vacant TKO welterweight title. Georges St. Pierre was foreced to vacate the title when he won the UFC welterweight belt.
- Yesterday Sherdog.com reported Chuck Liddell and Quinton Jackson will lock horns in the world famous octagon May 26th at UFC 71.
- This past weekend former UFC heavyweight champion and MMA legend, Bas Rutten, announced that he was stepping down as the coach of the Anacondas and Sean Tompkins would be taking his place as the head coach. Rutten will remain with the IFL but instead of coaching he will become the “Face of the IFL” working the broadcast booth and hosting “IFL Battleground”.
- The UFC has hired Mike Mersch who will be the organization’s chief operating officer. Originally Mersch was the Nevada deputy attorney general who represented the Nevada Athletic Commission.
- Hall of Fame play-by-play boxing announcer, Col. Bob Sheridan, will be ringside April 14th when Fedor Emelianenko and Matt Lindland fight in the BodogFight ring.
- Bob Sapp’s new opponent at the upcoming Cage Rage show will be Gary Turner.
- GracieMag.com is reporting that Ronaldo Jacaré will not compete at ADCC 2007.
- According to GracieFighter.com UFC lightweight Tyson Griffin has parted ways with David Terrell and the Nor-Cal Fighting Alliance. Terrell said, ““He didn’t train at all with us for that fight so why would we corner him. Win or lose we wouldn’t have been responsible.”
Clip of the Day
Does anyone remember this man? He was at the very first show of the IFL, and before everyone noticed, he had some ex-body builder running his team Tokyo Sabres. On March 14th, Inoki officially announced that as of April 1st, he is starting a new martial arts promotion called Inoki Genome Federation. (IGF) The head of organization is none other than Anotonio Inoki but other executives and staff are still unknown till this date. The only prediction we can make at this point is that his son-law, Simon Kelly Inoki, just revealed his resignation from New Japan Pro-Wrestling’s president post, probably to join his father in-law’s new promotion. Besides this, no one knows what is going to take place with this new project by Mr. Inoki. All we can tell at this point, is that everyone is making big announcements in April.
News and Notes
- According to reports, all of the fighter’s drug tests from UFC 68 came back clean. Surprisingly the Ohio Athletic Commission only tested Randy Couture, Tim Sylvia, Jon Fitch, and Luigi Fioravanti.
- UFC Junkie is reporting that Tito Ortiz vs. Rashad Evans will take place at UFC 72. It was originally thought they would fight at UFC 71.
- Josh Barnett released a message on his Myspace blog yesterday stating that it was unlikely he would be appearing on the upcoming PRIDE 34 card. More PRIDE drama…
There are some rumors thaty I will be fighting on the next PRIDE show, April 8th. Well I wish I could say there was much truth to it but at this point it doesn’t look very likely at all.
I had been training on a schedule to fight on the now canceled April 28th show and was contacted about now fighting on the 8th. Even though this would cut my time to train significantly, I was still receptive to fighting and planned to fight anyway. But at this point PRIDE has been unwilling or unable to make a match happen. We have yet to make any headway in booking a match and ,to me, it seems as though they are not even trying.
- The UFC has officially released a message on The Ultimate Fighter 6 tryouts. Here is their message and the TUF 6 application.
UFC’s The Ultimate Fighter® season 6 welterweight fighter tryouts will be held at the Palms Hotel and Casino, Tuesday, April 10th beginning at 8am PT.
If you’d like to compete for a spot on the next season, fill out the application and send it to the address on the application. It must be postmarked no later than April 7th.
- This weekend Jonathan Goulet will look to build on his winning streak at TKO Tourney 2007.
TKOMMA Tourney 2007
Saturday, March 17th, 7:30 PM
Colisee Desjardins, Victoriaville
Jesse Bongfeldt (11-2-0) vs. Jonathan Goulet (16-7-0)
Jacob MacDonald (2-5-0) vs. Stephane Dube (4-1-0)
Jason St. Louis (11-9-0) vs. Dave Pariseau (5-3-1)
Chester Post (5-7-1) vs. Sean Pierson (4-3-0)
Ray Penny (1-1-0) vs. Yan Pellerin (8-9-0)
Bob Landry (1-0-0) vs. Sebastien Gauthier (1-1-0)
Behrous Nemati (0-0-0) vs. Jean-Francois Bedard (1-0-0)
Adam Kastner (0-0-0) vs. Tommy Pariseau (0-0-0)
Stjepan Vujnovic (1-0-0) vs. Marco Picotte (0-0-0)
Adrian Wooley (0-0-0) vs. TBA
News and Notes
- According to Dave Meltzer, UFC 70: Nations Collide will likely appear on Spike TV and not HBO.
Dana White said that regarding the broadcast of UFC 70 on 4/21 from Manchester, England into the U.S., that nothing is finalized right now, but it will most likely be on Spike and not HBO.
- Fight Opinion Radio has released their newest episode dubbed “Power Brokers”. The show features former WFA boss and current EliteXC employee Jeremy Lappen and Jimmy Greninger of Soldier Fight Gear.
- MMA manager Monte Cox told MMAWeekly that he doesn’t feel Tim Sylvia’s back injury had any effect on the outcome of the fight with Randy Couture.
“He had trouble with his back. It was something that we dealt with with chiropractic help to make it so he could compete hard. And I think he did,” commented Cox. “I’m not one to say that has any kind of effect. I wish he hadn’t have said it. It happens before a lot of fights, it’s just one of those things.”
Injuries going into a fight, especially a fight with as much meaning as a title fight, are quite common among professional fighters. In fact, it’s a common saying amongst fighters that “if you’re not injured at all going into a fight, you’re not training hard enough.”
- Our rumors section has been updated.
Icon Sport: Epic TV Promo
News and Notes
- UFC veteran Joao Pierini is facing two years in prison and life-long registration as a sex offender after pleading no contest to one felony and three misdemeanors counts of child molestation.
- Terry Etim (7-0) has been added to UFC 70: Nations Collide, his opponent is currently unknown.
- Rumors have been circulating stating that former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir has dropped with fight with Antoni Hardonk for unknown reasons. The UFC site has removed Mir’s name from the UFC Fight Night card so it looks like the rumors were valid.
- K-1 veteran Jerome LeBanner has signed a new four-year deal with K-1. The contract is non-exclusive and it will allow LeBanner to pursue MMA in the future.
- Josh Neer, Jason Black and Joe Doerksen will all be fighting on the upcoming PRIDE 34: Kamikaze card.
Video of the Day
News and Notes
- UFC lightweight Roger Huerta will battle Leonard Garcia at UFC 69: Shootout. It was originally thought that Huerta would throw punches with Alvin Robinson but he will now be facing Garcia who is 13-1. Garcia was originally expected to make his debut against Spencer Fisher at UFC 60: Gracie vs. Hughes but due to an injury Garcia was forced to withdraw.
- Jonathan Goulet will make his return to the cage Saturday, March 17th when he fights Jesse Bongfeldt at “TKOMMA Tourney 2007” in Victoriaville, Quebec.
Enson Inoue Talks PRIDE
News and Notes
- PRIDE has canceled their 04/28 USA show. This is unfortunate considering how exciting PRIDE 33: Second Coming was but one can definitely assume the organization is in some serious trouble. PRIDE USA President Ed Fishman is in the process of taking legal action against the company. For more information on the situation check out Zach Arnold’s piece at Fight Opinion.
- At the UFC 68 post-fight press conference, UFC president Dana White, said that UFC light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell is currently suffering from pneumonia and he should never have been let on the “Good Morning Texas” show. White was visibly unhappy and he said that he was flying to San Luis Obispo to check on him. The representative that took Liddell to the appearance was from Warner.
- During the UFC 68 post-fight presser, Matt Hughes stated that former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia came into the fight with a bad back that almost forced him to withdraw from the fight.
Sylvia, who dropped to 25-3, said in the ring that he had come into the fight carrying an injury but was beaten “fair and square.” He did not attend the post-fight news conference but Hughes said Sylvia had an injured back and had considered pulling out of the bout.
- Injury or not, Dana White didn’t feel it was an intelligent move on Sylvia’s part to tell the crowd he was injured coming into the fight.
“Even if he did, he should have never said it,” White said when asked of the injury and the comment in the ring. “Tim has an big image problem, you could see it tonight. Tim’s a good guy. He’ll come back. He’s a tough kid. This is going to be a hard one for him. There was no doubt in his mind he was going to beat Randy Couture tonight. He was overconfident.”
- Assuming Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic gets by Gabriel Gonzaga at UFC 70: Nations Collide, Cro Cop and Couture will face off in a heavyweight title fight some time during the summer. For the first time in a while the UFC will have a very legit and marketable heavyweight title fight.
- Speaking of Cro Cop, according to Canada.com, Cro Cop asked the UFC brass for a fight with Brandon “Truth” Vera but it is currently on hold as Vera and Zuffa are having a very difficult time agreeing on a new contract.
Tonight I will be doing a ‘Live Blog’ for the evenings event. Feel free to leave your thoughts in the form of comments throughout the night.
Here are some various media links for the time being…
Boxing Scene: PRIDE 33: The Last Coming?
Boxing Scene: PRIDE: The Next Casino Sport?
Sherdog: Mac Danzig Pre-Fight Video Interview
Sherdog: Nick Diaz Pre-Fight Video Interview
InsideFighting: Head to Head: Henderson vs. Silva
News and Notes
- Roger Huerta will fight Alvin Robinson at UFC 69: Shootout in Houston, Texas.
- Kazuhiro Nakamura has been forced to withdraw from his battle against Travis Wiuff at PRIDE 33: The Second Coming.
- PRIDE FC has officially announced that Sergei Kharitonov will face Mike Russow at PRIDE 33: The Second Coming.
- Spike TV will not be airing an episode of ‘Inside the UFC’ this Thursday. No reason has been given but the show will resume next week.
- MMAWeekly.com is hosting a free audio file of their recent interview with UFC president Dana White.
- Remember to cast your vote on our new poll.