Ryan Ford. Photo courtesy of the Maximum Fighting Championship.
Canadian welterweight prospect Ryan Ford remains undefeated after submitting Ultimate Fighting Championship veteran C.J. Fernandes with a first-round rear naked choke in the main event of Maximum Fighting Championship’s “Anger Management” show last night in Edmonton, Alberta.
The sold out crowd inside the River Cree Resort and Casino saw Ford swiftly take Fernandes’ just seconds into the fight. Fernandes’ experience played a big part in getting out of the dangerous position as he patently waited until he was able to reverse position and mount Ford on his back.
With the fighters too close to the ropes, the fight was moved back to center where Ford was able to take Fernandes’ back once again. The veteran fought off yet another choke attempt but Ford was eventually able to sink in his hooks and force Fernandes to tap.
The win has earned Ford a shot at the vacant MFC welterweight title at the promotion’s next event on July 25th. His opponent may be fellow undefeated rising star Matt Veach, who used superior wrestling and constant takedowns to hand Matt MacGrath his first professional loss in another featured fight on the card.
The co-main event saw California product Chase Gormley use dirty boxing techniques to keep BodogFight veteran Eric Pele against the cage and unable to mount any offense en route to a lackluster unanimous decision but the biggest win of his young career thus far.
Also victorious on the card was Aron Lofton, who bloodied and eventually submitted previously undefeated local prospect Jason Kuchera.
Complete results from the event:
Evan Sanguin def. Dave Nippard - TKO (Strikes)
Troy Sorenson def. Mike Tubbs - Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
Brandon Curts def. Sean Wright - Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
Mike Sorenson def. Jeremy Martin - Submission (Guillotine)
Gavin Neil def. Ryan McGillivray - Split Decision
Aron Lofton def. Jason Kuchera Submission (Guillotine)
Chris Camozzi def. Dwayne Lewis - Unanimous Decision
Ben Henderson def. Mike Maestas - Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
Matt Veach def. Matt MacGrath - Unanimous Decision
Chase Gormley def. Eric Pele - Unanimous Decision
Ryan Ford def. C.J. Fernandes - Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
Gary Goodridge stops Jan Norte with strikes at K-1 Hero’s 8 in March 2007. Photo courtesy of FEG.
Longtime mixed martial arts veteran Gary Goodridge has been forced to withdraw from his scheduled bout against Eric Pele at the Maximum Fighting Championship’s upcoming “Anger Management” show on May 9th due to a recently suffered back injury.
The promotion announced the news concerning Goodridge’s injury in a press release earlier this morning.
Goodridge suffered the injury during a recent training session and will be required to undergo surgery to repair the the sciatic nerve in his lower back.
“Big Daddy” was also slated to face infamous professional boxer Eric “Butterbean” Esch at YAMMA Pit Fighting’s inaugural show earlier this month but was not cleared by the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board after being knocked out by Mu Bae Choi on March 30th.
“It’s disappointing that he won’t be fighting but we will find a very suitable replacement immediately,” said MFC President Mark Pavelich. “Gary told me that he still expects to attend the show and that he hopes to be able to fight in the MFC later this year.”
Ryan Ford. Photo courtesy of the Maximum Fighting Championship.
Ryan “The Real Deal” Ford will continue his ascent towards the Maximum Fighting Championship’s welterweight title when he puts his perfect record on the line against C.J. Fernandes at MFC 16: Anger Management on Friday, May 9 at the River Cree Resort and Casino.
Ford ran his record to 5-0 with a second-round submission victory over UFC veteran Pete Spratt at MFC 15: Rags to Riches and now he has the opportunity to get within short range of a shot at the MFC’s 170-pound championship.
“It’s a great chance for me to get one step closer to the title belt that I’ve wanted since I started in this sport,” said Ford. “I made Pete Spratt tap out and he’s fought for more than nine years. I’ve been in mixed martial arts for nine months.
“I was born for this sport. My destiny is to be a champion. C.J. Fernandes is a wall standing in my way and just like Pete Spratt and everyone before him, I’m going to bust a hole in that wall and walk right through.”
Fernandes is an accomplished veteran with a 12-6-3 record who has fought a number of top rivals including former UFC champion Dave Menne, The Ultimate Fighter: Season 4 competitor Chris Lytle, and UFC veteran Yves Edwards. He’s found a new life in MMA by joining the H.I.T. Squad team anchored by legendary fighter and former UFC champion Matt Hughes.
St. Petersburg, Russia - The Russian Red Devils capitalized on their comrades’ support to emerge victorious from Russia’s ICE Palace Arena on Saturday, April 14th in the most anticipated pay-per-view event of the year, BodogFight: Fedor Emelianenko vs Matt Lindland, Clash of the Nations.
The star-studded mixed martial arts card lived up to its billing, with Fedor Emelianenko, the #1 ranked heavyweight in the world taking on the #1 ranked middleweight, Matt “The Law” Lindland, in the main event. In the end, the sold out crowd, which included Russian President Vladimir Putin, got what they wanted, as their beloved champion improved to 26-1 after forcing his brave American challenger to tap out in the very first round.
Vancouver, Canada – What happens when you pair one of the most exciting sports in the world with an international entertainment and TV powerhouse? You get nine weeks of televised sporting prowess, scenic Costa Rican beaches, beautiful Bodog girls and one of the most anticipated pay-per-view events of the year: BodogFight: USA vs. Russia.
Saturday’s BodogFight event - the culmination of nine weeks of mixed martial arts combined with lifestyle and entertainment, all captured on film as part of the BodogFight reality television series - was broadcast live on pay-per-view and on broadband to millions of viewers from around the world. The final event, which pitted USA’s toughest and brightest fighters against the elite Russian Red Devils, took place in the fully-packed Agrodome in beautiful Vancouver, Canada.
This past weekend 3,500 fans packed into the PNE Agrodome to witness BodogFIGHT: USA vs. Russia. The card featured a super heavyweight battle between Eric Pele and Antonio “Junior” Silva as a headliner.
Coming into the fight, fans expected big things from the heavyweight phenom Antonio Silva as he possessed an unbeaten record of 7-0 with all of his wins coming by TKO in the first round. Many people expected Silva to continue his roll this past weekend but Pele had an answer for that.
Eric Pele, the star from A&E’s hit reality series “Inked” came into the fight in very good shape as he weighed in at 307 lbs when in the past he tipped the scales at over 447 lbs. Pele’s opponent, “Junior” Silva was also in great shape as he weighed in at a fit 297 lbs.
After a short stare down, referee Kevin Dorman, sent both fighters back to their corners to prepare for the beginning of the battle.
The fight started slow as both big men exchanged a few leg kicks. The pace quickly changed though as “Junior” Silva rushed in and forced Pele into the corner. From there Silva was able to tee off and land a vicious combination which had Pele hurt and forced him to run. Pele ended up falling as the two clinched and both combatants became entangled in the ropes so referee Kevin Dorman stepped in and called a halt to the action.
When the fight was restarted both fighters exchanged a few more shots and then “Junior” Silva landed a low kick that caught the cup of Pele forcing the ref to call a time-out. Pele was given time to recover while referee Kevin Dorman went to Silva’s corner to assure him he knew it was an accident.
The fight resumed and both super heavyweights came out with the killer instinct. They got within striking distance and both guys started unloading wild haymakers which had knockout written all over them. Luckily both guys were able to dodge and weave most of the shots. Pele was able to land one hook that looked to wobble the undefeated “Junior” Silva.
Both fighters survived the tough exchange and then for the second time in the fight “Junior” Silva charged in and unloaded a vicious combination of punches and knees that looked to have Pele in trouble. As Pele was covering up avoiding the barrage he decided to rise up and fire off two wild hooks. The second hook glanced off the chin of “Junior” Silva forcing him to crumble to the canvas.
Pele smelt blood as he saw his opponent go down and he quickly pounced. Pele began to tee off on the head of his downed opponent before he landed in Silva’s guard, from there he continued his barrage. Eventually Kevin Dorman had seen enough and he stepped in and stopped the fight.
Afterwards “Junior” Silva was clearly upset as he felt the stoppage was premature. Pele was given the TKO victory at 2:40 of the first round.
After the fight Pele told the guys at Sherdog.com that he had a sense of fear early on in the fight and the initial attack from Silva really woke him up.
“Even when I was dodging his barrage — like I said I was scared — I just had those jitters,” Pele said. “He didn’t really hurt me. It was like, when am I going to let go? I could feel myself holding on.”
“His punches didn’t hurt,” said the King of the Cage champion. “I just needed to wake up.”