Something a little different here…
Tito Ortiz’s girlfriend (Jenna Jameson) and best friend (Justin McCully) battle it out to see who knows Tito better for ESPN The Magazine.
No offense, but this is terrible. I’d rather watch McCully’s fight against Antoni Hardonk and that’s saying something.
News and Notes
- Palace Fighting Championship will be in talks with both Kimbo Slice and Tank Abbott this morning in an attempt to try and bring the bout between the two to PFC’s show on October 18th:
“I have spoken to both sides’ management,” said PFC’s Christian Printup. “I am submitting a formal offer (Wednesday) morning. If it satisfies their financial needs the fight will happen on Oct. 18 in the PFC. If it doesn’t, I can take comfort in knowing we made a very substantial offer nonetheless.”
- Speaking of Kimbo Slice, he is set to be profiled on ESPN’s newest venture, E:60:
The new sports news show from ESPN, E:60, will be taking a closer look into some of sports’ larger stories, much like 60 Minutes or Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel. The surprising thing? Kimbo Slice will be profiled by Rachel Nichols in one of the segments, according to the October 8th edition of USA Today.
- Tonight’s episode of UFC Unleashed will feature Rory Singer vs Josh Haynes from UFC: The Final Chapter as well as Rich Franklin vs Anderson Silva from UFC 64.
- MMA Opinon discusses why Dave Meltzer’s move to Yahoo! Sports is going to revolutionize MMA media and slams others:
Meltzer’s ascension is not only deserved, but it could shape the way we read and digest thoughts and ideas on MMA. Coverage effects how we all view our MMA. The Sam Caplans’ and Todd Martins’ of the world are excelling because they understand the synergy and goals of business and entertainment as much as true sport. They are equally necessary. And somewhere in between Josh Gross and noted Negative Nancy Zach Arnold (great for community of MMA journalism, but often a malcontent when the sky isn’t falling) there is Dave Meltzer. Well, in between it all is Fight Linker, but that’s commentary.
Meltzer has waited a lifetime for compliments like the one given to him by famous sports writer Frank Deford this past summer. Often the object of disrespect, Meltzer (who writes a giant newsletter or two by himself, did radio shows, and covered ten times what anyone felt was required), was called the best sports journalist in the world by Deford. Here’s hoping he gets to make his mark at Yahoo Sports (he’ll dwarf Kevin Iole in months) and gets to retire from his newsletter. Dave deserves to watch his child grow up and not worry about losing another friend in pro wrestling.
Zach Arnold defends his work:
Who predicted the collapse of PRIDE before it was ever conventional wisdom in any media circles? I took two years of abuse for that one. The track record is good.
- UFC Daily is reporting that Frank Mir will definitely not be facing Fabricio Werdum at UFC 79 because he won’t be fighting until February or March of next year anyway.
- Fightlinker tells Dana White to not expect any favors from Tito Ortiz.
- Royce Gracie is teaching the Palm Beach, FL police department BJJ.
Forrest Griffin discusses his recent win over Mauricio “Shogun” Rua at the UFC 76 post-fight press conference.
News and Notes
- Forrest Griffin knows that Wanderlei Silva apparently wants to fight him. However Griffin isn’t sure if he would be medically cleared for UFC 79 in December:
“It kind of would, yeah,” said Griffin about a December date with Silva being too soon. “I’d love to fight him if I didn’t have a giant hole in my face right now. We were in the hotel lobby and I was doing an interview with someone and they’re like ‘Wanderlei just said he wants to fight you’ and I was like ‘Right now, really, right now? He wants to fight me? I know he’s a Chute Boxe guy, but right now?’ And they were like no, no, no … in December.”
“We’ll see medically,” Griffin stated about the December card. “[It’ll] take a couple of weeks to figure it out.”
The cut that Griffin sustained was pretty severe and I’m going to assume that the CSAC will medically suspend him for at least a month without contact. However UFC 79 isn’t until December 29th, which would still give Griffin a good two months to be able to train for the fight. I guess we’ll see what happens…
- Looking for an update on Dan Henderson? The Fight Network has one.
Apparently Henderson only has one fight left on his current contract with the UFC. He has also stated that he would be ready to fight by November but that he would like to stay at light heavyweight, despite the UFC’s efforts to attempt to get Henderson to move down to his natural weight of 185.
- Cage Rage has released part of the upcoming card for Cage Rage 24: Feel The Pain:
Evangelista Santos vs Paul Cahoon
Mark Epstein vs Tom Watson
Ross Pointon vs Marios Zaromskis
Brad Pickett vs Ronnie Mann
Abdul Mohammed vs Robbie Oliver
James McSweeney vs Robert Paczkow
Neil Grove vs Robert Berry
- Matt Hamill has set the story straight concerning his recent knee surgery and stated that he would like to rematch Michael Bisping in December on his official sitehttp://www.matthamill.com/.
- Entertaining PRIDE veteran Akihiro Gono announced at his own press conference yesterday that he has signed with the UFC and will be fighting welterweight Tamden McCrory at UFC 78 in November:
“I know his fight record,” Gono said of the 20-year-old McCrory. “I know that he’s tall, young and has a long reach.”
- The California State Athletic Commission has released the official attendance and gate for UFC 76:
The UFC 76 “Knockout” event on September 22nd in Anaheim, California had an official attendance of 13,770 - with 1,953 of those seats as comps (tickets given away for free to media, friends, celebrities, etc.) for a gate of $1,984,880.
- MMA Weekly has released their latest set of rankings.
Fightlinker: I loves me some Mac Danzig
Sherdog: Old-School Event Sparks Backlash in Brazil
Fight Opinion: Wednesday war room: Where’s my PRIDE?
Five Ounces of Pain: ShoXC to return on Oct. 26 featuring Javi Vazquez, Aaron Rosa, and Muhsin Corbbrey
MMA Analyst: Is the PRIDE vs. UFC debate over?
MMA HQ: “Minotauro” Nogueria vs Cheick Kongo at UFC 79?
Former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Chuck Liddell discusses his loss to current title holder Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and his upcoming fight against Keith Jardine at UFC 76 late tonight with Brian Kenny on ESPN’s SportsCenter.
PRIDE veteran Mauricio “Shogun” Rua talks to ESPN about his upcoming bout with Forrest Griffin at UFC 76: Knockout.
Keith Jardine shares his thoughts with ESPN on his upcoming bout against former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Chuck Liddell this Saturday night at UFC 76: Knockout.
UFC color commentator Joe Rogan discusses the importance of today’s title unification bout between UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and PRIDE Middleweight and Welterweight title holder Dan Henderson as well as the keys to victory for both fighters on SportsCenter.
PRIDE Middleweight and Welterweight Champion Dan Henderson discusses his upcoming championship unification bout against Quinton “Rampage” Jackson with the media at the pre-fight press conference for UFC 75.
UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Quinton “Rampage” Jackson discusses his upcoming unification bout against PRIDE Middleweight Champion Dan Henderson at this weekend’s UFC 75 with ESPN.
UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and former undisputed boxing welterweight champion Zab Judah discuss their respective sports of mixed martial arts and boxing during an ESPN: The Magazine interview session.