Kenny Florian. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
Kenny Florian will reportedly serve as the temporary host of ESPN’s newly-planned online mixed martial arts magazine show that will appear exclusively on the company’s official website and on mobile phones according to Adam Swift of MMA Payout.
According to Swift, Florian will serve as the show’s host at least for the first two weeks of tapings. However it’s unknown whether the show will be UFC-based, something that apparently delayed the launch of the program, or if it will cover the entire world of the sport.
Affliction-HDNet Deal Still Possible
While it was previously reported that a potential deal between Affliction and HDNet that would have the clothing brand hold it’s first MMA show at the Dallas-based American Airlines Center fell apart, HDNet Fights CEO Andrew Simon says that the event could still possibly be televised on the digital cable network.
According to MMA Weekly, the event would not be permitted to take place at the home of the NBA’s Dallas Mavericks due to a lack of time to substantially promote the show. However the potential of at least part of the event airing live or on tape-delay on HDNet is not out of the realm of possibility.
“We talk to everybody and I wouldn’t say that any conversation is dead yet,” Simon said in the report. “You just never know. You know how this sport works, one day you think you’re not working together and the next day you might announce something. Affliction… I would say, never say never.
ASU Shuts Down Storied Wrestling Program
Arizona State University has decided to shut down it’s storied wrestling program along with men’s swimming and men’s tennis as part of a financial cutback at the school according to MMA Weekly.
Normally this wouldn’t be the type of news to be reported on this site, but the school’s wrestling program has produced a slew of highly-touted MMA prospects in recent years, including current UFC fighters Cain Velasquez and C.B. Dollaway. Shoe-in hall-of-famers Dan Severn, Don Frye, and Dan Henderson all competed for the school as well in the past.
There may still be hope for the program. NCAA President Myles Brand is expected to hold a meeting later this month to discuss the possibility of protecting school sports that also take place in the Olympics, wrestling being one of them.
Bush Tests Positive for Marijuana
Heavyweight prospect George Bush has reportedly tested positive for marijuana following his first-round tournament loss to former UFC heavyweight champion Ricco Rodriguez at YAMMA Pit Fighting’s inaugural show last month in Atlantic City, New Jersey according to Sherdog.com.
“I just found out a few days ago, and needless to say, I’m very surprised and disappointed,” Bush said in the report. “I accept full responsibility for my actions, and I assure the fans that this will never happen again.”
While there won’t be any official announcement from the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board, (they don’t release drug-testing information to the media) Bush has confirmed that he has not been fined but has been suspended by the commission for 90 days.
DALLAS, TEXAS— SUN Sports & Entertainment Inc. announced today the Company has chosen MMA Legend Dan “the beast” Severn as Captain of Team USA MMA for the upcoming ART OF WAR 3, Undisputed Arena Fighting Championships in Dallas Texas on September 1st 2007.
Severn will be on the sidelines guiding an American squad of MMA All-Stars as they take on Team Brazil MMA. Heavyweight star Jeff “Snowman” Monson heads up Team USA when he challenges Brazilian Jui Jitsu legend, Pedro “The Rock” Rizzo for Rizzo’s IFA World Heavyweight title, in the Main Event.
The Monson vs Rizzo five-round title bout will headline an exciting ten-bout card that also features Team USA MMA stars Jeremy “Gumby” Horn, Jake “The Snake” Shields, Ron “H20” Waterman and Ricco “Suave” Rodriguez taking on some of Brazil’s best action fighters.
Severn, still active as a fighter, has captured the attention of fight and wrestling fans all over the world since his 1994 debut in the Ultimate Fighting Championships [UFC]. Dan is known as “The Beast”, a name given to him by Jim Brown during one of his many fights in the UFC.
News and Notes
- Last night fans were given the opportunity to witness the first Zuffa-ran World Extreme Cagefighting show. McCullough and Faber reigned victorious in their respective bouts earning their WEC titles. Here are the full results…
- Richard Crunkilton def. Mike Joy - Submission (Anaconda Choke)
- Antonio Banuelos def. Mike French - Decision (Unanimous)
- Carlos Condit def. Kyle Jensen - Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
- Alex Karalexis def. Olaf Alfonso - TKO (Referee Stoppage)
- Brendan Seguin def. Fernando Gonzalez - Decision (Unanimous)
- Logan Clark def. Blas Cedena - TKO (Referee Stoppage)
- John Alessio def. Brian Gassaway - Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
- Urijah Faber def. Joe Pearson - Submission (Strikes)
- Rob McCullough def. Kit Cope - Submission (Strikes)
- Dave Medd will take on Chris Clements at TKO 28: Inevitable.
- UFC veteran Dan Lauzon suffered his second straight loss this weekend to the hands of Deividas Taurosevicius at Cage Fury Fighting Championship 3: “Battleground”.
- Here is the full card for Cage Rage 20...
1. Eric “Butterbean” Esch vs. James “The Colossus” Thompson
2. Mark Kerr vs. Mustapha Al Turk
3. Tengiz Tedoradze vs. Rob Broughton
4. Dan Severn vs. Dave Legeno
5. Daijiro Matsui vs. Zelg Galesic
6. Mark Buchanan vs. Robert Berry
7. Tom Howard vs. Tom Blackledge
8. Masakazu Imanari vs. Robbie Olivier
9. Jason Barrett vs. Jeremy Bailey
10. Ronnie Mann vs. Ashley Grimshaw
11. Marios Zaromskis vs. Paul Taylor
12. Michael Johnson vs. Lee Doski
Dan Severn will take on Jim Dobson in his 90th career MMA fight at Extreme Cage Combat 2: Collision Course on June 30th…