News and Notes
- Last night fans were given the opportunity to witness the first Zuffa-ran World Extreme Cagefighting show. McCullough and Faber reigned victorious in their respective bouts earning their WEC titles. Here are the full results…
- Richard Crunkilton def. Mike Joy - Submission (Anaconda Choke)
- Antonio Banuelos def. Mike French - Decision (Unanimous)
- Carlos Condit def. Kyle Jensen - Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
- Alex Karalexis def. Olaf Alfonso - TKO (Referee Stoppage)
- Brendan Seguin def. Fernando Gonzalez - Decision (Unanimous)
- Logan Clark def. Blas Cedena - TKO (Referee Stoppage)
- John Alessio def. Brian Gassaway - Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
- Urijah Faber def. Joe Pearson - Submission (Strikes)
- Rob McCullough def. Kit Cope - Submission (Strikes)
- Dave Medd will take on Chris Clements at TKO 28: Inevitable.
- UFC veteran Dan Lauzon suffered his second straight loss this weekend to the hands of Deividas Taurosevicius at Cage Fury Fighting Championship 3: “Battleground”.
- Here is the full card for Cage Rage 20...
1. Eric “Butterbean” Esch vs. James “The Colossus” Thompson
2. Mark Kerr vs. Mustapha Al Turk
3. Tengiz Tedoradze vs. Rob Broughton
4. Dan Severn vs. Dave Legeno
5. Daijiro Matsui vs. Zelg Galesic
6. Mark Buchanan vs. Robert Berry
7. Tom Howard vs. Tom Blackledge
8. Masakazu Imanari vs. Robbie Olivier
9. Jason Barrett vs. Jeremy Bailey
10. Ronnie Mann vs. Ashley Grimshaw
11. Marios Zaromskis vs. Paul Taylor
12. Michael Johnson vs. Lee Doski
News and Notes
- MMA journeyman Travis Fulton suffered a KO loss to the hands of former heavyweight contender Lou Savarese.
- Shinya Aoki will make his return to Shooto when he faces Akira Kikuchi in a rematch as he defends his Shooto 167-pound belt.
- UFC veteran Wes Sims will headline the March 22nd Palace Fighting card when he faces Anthony Fuller.
“I like this show. It’s a great setup,” Sims said. “For this being the first show, I’m very happy with the number of people here. If I had to rate this promotion on a scale of 1-10, I’d give it a 10 for a small show. If it keeps growing, I think it will be a great big show.”
- The WEC has announced that Versus will begin airing events in the summer. Versus will air three live fights and six one-hour highlight shows.
- NBCSports.com has added the UFC to their sports coverage.
News and Notes
- Renato “Babalu” Sobral will make his return to the octagon at UFC 68 on March 3rd when he faces Jason Lambert. Sobral last appeared in the octagon at UFC 62 when he suffered a devastating knock out loss to the hands of the UFC light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell.
- Martin Kampmann will be fighting on the upcoming UFC 68 card, his opponent is currently unknown.
- It looks like Matt Lindland will be making his way over to BodogFight to face PRIDE heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko.
- Last night Dana White took part in a special chat for all of the ‘UFC Fight Club’ members. Here is some interesting information that came out of the chat…
Mason: Have you ever considered having a legends type fight on a card, such as Randy vs. Bas Rutten?
Dana White: We always want to put on the fights the fans want to see. I would love to bring Bas back.
rickrock: Would you like to see Wanderlei Silva back in the octagon? Has there been any steps taken to try and sign him?
Dana White: I would love to have Silva in the UFC, it’s always my goal to get the best fighters in the world to fight for us. Hopefully we will see that fight in 2007.
Poundem: Dana, were do you see the UFC in 5 years from now?
Dana White: Poundem, I see us GLOBAL.
tootall2: Do you intend to keep bringing the better - fighters from other organizations, or is there a plan to absorb other organizations, such as Pride - and thanks for bringing excitement back to professional fighting.
Dana White: Totall, it’s my goal to acquire all the best fighters in the world and if things go my way, I will have them all by the end of year.
Poundem: What is your plan for Fedor, or do you have one? Would you like to get him in the UFC?
Dana White: Poundem, I want Fedor and everyone else in the UFC.
DrWu: If you could change one thing about the rules of fighting in the octagon, what would it be and why?
Dana White: I would add knees to the head.
dnkyntz: Could you talk about the rumors regarding Zuffa acquiring Pride?
Dana White: Obviously we are out there acquiring other MMA companies right now and if Pride is for sale, I’m interested.
Raiderbeast:Before leaving tonight, can you tell us if another big Pride fighter will show up in the UFC anytime soon?
Dana White: Count on it!!
For the folks back home, the 5-7 Fisher was going to the relatively big city of Bettendorf, Iowa to train in some sport he called mixed martial arts. He might as well have told them he was going to be the star in a high-wire trapeze act, because that probably got more recognition from mainstream America in 2002.
But fast forward to 2006, and Fisher has not only carved out a niche for himself in MMA, currently the fastest growing sport in the world, but he’s one of the featured fighters on a Spike TV fight card on January 25th and his face is plastered on the event’s poster. So when he visits family in Cashiers, things have changed a bit for him.
“They love it,” said Fisher. “They keep up with it, and when I go back home they say, ‘hey, I saw you on TV the other day,’ and it’s a big deal to them. It’s nice to know that I have fans. Before I made it on TV, I’d go back home and people would say ‘what are you doing now?’ I’d tell them and they’d go ‘Oh jeez,’ and it was kind of a joke until they saw it on TV and they saw that there were real punches and real kicks and now there’s a respect that goes along with it.”
MMAWeekly: UFC Champ Ready for Cro Cop and Couture
News and Notes
- Caol Uno will make his return to the octagon March 3rd at UFC 68 in Ohio. Uno’s opponent will be lightweight contender and ‘The Ultimate Fighter II’ winner Joe Stevenson.
- MMAWeekly has Dan Lauzon, Matt Wiman and Nathan Diaz listed as fighters on the upcoming season of ‘The Ultimate Fighter 5’.
- The IFL has announced that the fight between Vernon White and Raphael Davis has been cancelled because it was not approved by the California State Athletic Commission.
The reasoning behind the decision was that the difference in experience between the two fighters gave one an unfair advantage over another and therfore the bout could be sanctioned. The CSAC is right - White has fought in more than 50 bouts while this would have just been Davis’ third career fight.
This now means that there will be no light-heavyweight fight in tomorrow’s matchup between the Nevada Lions and the San Jose Razorclaws. A second lightweight fight between Joe Martin and Clint Coronel will take place of this one.
- The California State Athletic Commission announced yesterday that MMA promotions seeking to put on a sanctioned event in the state now have the option of using a cage or a ring. The IFL’s event on Friday night will be the first time that a ring will be used in for MMA competition in California’s history…
- Jeff Monson will make his return to the UK at Cage Warriors: Showdown 3, defending his heavyweight belt against an opponent that has yet to be named. However many are speculating that Monson will be taking on Mario Neto in his third title defense.
Monson’s fight with Fedor on the March 3rd Bodog card has been cancelled. The bout has not yet been rescheduled although it is expected they will just move the fight to Bodog’s April event without a problem…
News and Notes
- UFCmania is reporting that John Halverson will make his octagon debut against Roger Huerta. Also on the card will be Terry Martin versus Jorge Rivera.
- Yoshihiro Akiyama has been suspended indefinitely by K-1 after he was caught using an oil-based substance in his fight against Kazushi Sakuraba.
- Here is what will be on ‘Inside the UFC’ this Thursday…
Rogan will sit down with UFC light heavyweight contender Rashad Evans.
He’ll talk to Randy Couture about Pros vs. Joes.
Fans will get to take a look at the UFC’s newest ring girl, Ali Sonoma.
News and Notes
- Fight Opinion is reporting that PRIDE Lightweight Champion Takanori Gomi may be on his way to the UFC. Gomi has apparently received the green light from PRIDE which will allow him to fight in the UFC. In doing so he’ll be representing PRIDE unlike Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic who is now a UFC fighter.
- Former UFC Heavyweight Champion Ricco Rodriguez will be making his pro boxing debut against unbeaten Chase Shields. Also on the card will be MMA journeyman Travis Fulton who is fighting Lou Savarese. Savarese is an accomplished boxer who has faced the likes of former champions James “Buster” Douglas, Tim Witherspoon, Mike Tyson and George Foreman.
- Sergei Kharitonov will make his return to the ring at PRIDE 33 against Gilbert Yvel.
IGN: Flock Talks UFC
Here is a little excerpt from the interview:
IGN: This isn’t the first time THQ has handled a mixed-martial arts game. What does this mean for THQ? What makes this announcement and this decision so important?
Kelly Flock: The previous games we did were picked up from Japan, and they were based on Pride FC. These games are a different story. What’s happened since then is that the popularity of the UFC has really kicked into gear. It’s amazingly popular right now. We saw the numbers, how it was taking off, how our demographic was interested, and we felt like it was time to bring it back to the interactive arena. The response from people we know about it all think this is a great move.
IGN: What are the two or three most important elements of your announcement?
Flock: It’s a huge announcement because most of the active videogame publishers were after the license. But Zuffa selected us. That’s the biggest element of our announcement. The reason THQ got the license was because we were the ones most passionate about it. We have a big presence in the category and we have a couple people internally at THQ who really get it. We really understand the property, its value. We know how to launch these kinds of games, and we have the ability to execute. That’s why Zuffa picked us; that’s why it’s important.
IGN: Will this be an annual game?
Flock: That’s our expectation. UFC lends itself to an annual update, so we expect to have annual iterations of the game with new features, updated and upgraded graphics and gameplay, the whole deal.
The Fight Network: The UFC UK Rumor Mill
News and Notes
- Stephane Vigneault has suffered an injury and he will no longer be fighting Jonathan Goulet for the TKO Canadian Welterweight Title. Goulet released a message on MySpace which said “Damn my opponent got injured and the TKO management are looking for an opponent.”
- Frankie Edgar will make his UFC debut February 3rd at UFC 67: All or Nothing against undefeated lightweight prospect Tyson Griffin.
- Kenny Florian vs. Dokonjonosuke Mishima will headline UFC Fight Night 9 on March 13th.
- Tank Abbott will make his return to MMA February 3rd when he fights Ji Hoon Kim in World Best Fighter: USA vs. Asia.
ADCC News: Frankie Edgar Talks About UFC Debut
IFL: IFL Oakland Preview: Part 1
IFL: IFL Oakland Preview: Part 2
MMAWeekly: MMA’s Japanese Bloodlines Run Deep
UFC: Eddie Sanchez - The Chance of a Lifetime
LA Times: Knockout Marketing
News and Notes
- Icon Sport will be holding an event February 9th and the headline bout will be a battle between UFC and Pride veteran “Ruthless” Robbie Lawler and Trevor Garret. Also on the card will be Renato Verissimo, Jeremy Williams, and Scott Junk.
- UFC veterans Justin Eilers and Pedro Rizzo will fight March 9th at the American Airline Center. The fight will take place in the new organization dubbed the ‘International Fighters Association’ and it will be televised on HDNet. HDNet previously televised the WEC until it was purchased by the UFC and moved to Versus. The matchmaker will be UFC and Pride veteran Guy Metzger and the ring announcer will be Bruce Buffer. Here is the current card…
Pedro Rizzo vs. Justin Eilers
Carlo Prater vs. Dennis Levensky
Alex Andrade vs. Klas Akesson
Matt Grice vs. Yuki Inoue
Buddy Clinton vs. Kenneth Rosfort
Eric Schambari vs. Christian Smith
Justin Wren vs. Trent Standing
Alonozo Martinez vs. Tom East
Sonny Neilson vs. Travis Bush
- MMAWeekly has Luke Cummo vs. Josh Haynes and Wilson Gouveia vs. Hector Ramirez rumored for the UFC Fight Night 10 card on April 5th. Also rumored to be on the card is Josh Koscheck and Kendall Grove.
- Mitsuhiro Ishida has vacated his Shooto Pacific Rim 154-pound championship title.
- In an article on the TKO homepage, UFC matchmaker confirmed that Mark Hominick and Sam Stout would be back in the UFC in the New Year.
News and Notes
- Former UFC Welterweight Champion Carlos Newton will take on Matt Lindland in a “superfight” on the IFL fight card Feb. 2 in Houston.
- A few days ago Seth Petruzelli released a MySpace bulletin which said that his fight at UFC Fight Night 8 was off. Petruzelli recently released another bulletin saying he may still be on the card.
Petruzelli’s bulletin said “Hey guys, I still have to train and go weigh in the 25th for the UFC…my opponent injured his ankle. They are trying to find me a new fight on short notice but it doesn’t look good. So I still have to go ready to fight just in case. Thanks and I hope to be back fighting for you all soon!”
- As we reported yesterday, The Gracie Fighting Championships: Evolution event has been postponed due to unknown circumstances. This is an unfortunate turn of events as the GFC: Evolution card was looking very solid with UFC veterans Jeff Monson, Wes Sims, Nick Diaz, Renato Verissimo, and others. Hopefully the get things sorted out and find a new date for the show soon. The response so far from fighters and fans is fairly negative, here is what Randy Harris and Marco Avellan had to say on ‘The Underground’.
Marcos Avellan - “I’m obviously super bummed out. One of my biggest disapointments was for all the people who made a lot of sacrifices so that I could train for this fight. My brother and other FFA instructors picked up the slack for me and taught all my classes for the past six weeks. My wife had to deal with my temper tantrums because of the weight cutting and training - I’m the first to admit I’m a bit difficult to deal with when training full time and dieting.
And then Lloyd Irvin trained me personally for a week… and Eric “El Tigre” Castanos and Paulino Hernandez took a ton of time out of their personal schedules to train me.
So thank you to all of them, you guys did an AWESOME job getting me ready and we’ll do it again one more time when the fight is rescheduled.
In the meantime, to my students, I’m back! I miss all you guys and am looking forward to teaching some classes again!
And about the GFC, I think they are trying their best to resolve this the best they can. I used to promote shows (not nearly as big as the GFC) and it is a TOUGH business. A lot of people don’t realize some of the crazy monkey wrenches that get thrown your way as a promoter. Believe me… if anyone is suffering from this… they are taking it the WORST. I really think they did everything they could to treat the fighters A+... I genuinely believe they probably had no other choice.
So a strong recovery to all those involved with this show - fighters, spectators, and promoters.
Randy Harris - “Yes I was told postponed but as far as I am concerned it has been cancelled. I wouldn’t plan on attending it ever again. People have spent money on plane tickets and more and they are now out! BAD BAD business!”
- 01/13/07 American Bushido: “2007 Grand Prix Round 1” in McCook, IL.
- 01/13/07 Battle in the Cage VI: “Aftermath” in Denver, CO.
News and Notes
- The IFL has confirmed that “Ruthless” Robbie Lawler will participate in a superfight against rising Brazilian star Eduardo Pamplona on the upcoming February 23rd event in Atlanta, Ga.
- The UFC has launched the official site for UFC 67: All or Nothing. It can be found here.
- Last night on ‘Inside the UFC’, Randy “The Natural” Couture sat down with Joe Rogan and announced that he signed a new four-fight contract with the UFC and his first fight will come against UFC Heavyweight Champion Tim Sylvia.
- Martin Kampmann vs. Drew McFedries is scheduled to take place at UFC 68.
- King of the Cage will be coming to Hull, Quebec January 20th with their card dubbed King of the Cage : Freedom Fight.
KOTC: Freedom Fight
Travis Galbraith vs. Craig Brown (205 lbs.)
Mark Bocek vs. Matt Fiordirosa (155 lbs.)
TJ Grant vs. Nick Portieous (170 lbs.)
Barry McDonald vs. Tony Legnaro (155 lbs.)
Markhaile Wedderburn vs. Mickel Alexander (185 lbs.)
Jean Marc Lalonde vs. Brett Portieous (155 lbs.)
Stephane Lamarche vs. Garrett Velroy (170 lbs.)
Nick Denis vs. Shawn Lalonde (145 lbs.)
Wayne Xilon vs. John Cole (250 lbs. challenge fight)
Yan Fortier vs. Allen Harvey (170 lbs.)
Andre Dreosiers vs. Mike Delorne (Heavyweight challenge fight)