MMAWeekly is reporting that Strikeforce middleweight champion Frank Shamrock and the San Jose Razorclaws will not be apart of the IFL heading into the 2008 season.
“They said they were going a different direction with their business,” stated the current Strikeforce and former Ultimate Fighting Championship middleweight titleholder. “They’re good people and they’re a good company. They’ve got a hard road ahead of them. I’m still willing to help in any way because they treated me real good.”
The San Jose Razorclaws consisted of Frank Shamrock (Coach), Dave MacMillan (Assistant Coach), Tony Demara (Assistant Coach), Josh Odom (LW), Donnie Liles (WW), Brian Foster (MW), Brian Ebersole (LHW), Dan Christison (HW), and Clint Coronel (Alternate LW).
Shamrock stated that he felt everyone on the team had been cut except for Brian Foster who will be competing in the upcoming IFL Grand Prix and then he will likely be reassigned to a new team.
“I think they cut everybody but Brian Foster and he’s in the Grand Prix, so he’s got his chance coming up. I think they’re going to reassign him to a new team. He’s got a couple of teams that he has the option to go to.”
News and Notes
- WEC featherweight Joe Pearson tested positive for marijuana following his Jan. 20th WEC title fight versus Urijah Faber.
- UFC welterweight champion Georges “Rush” St. Pierre has signed a new six-fight deal with the UFC. The deal will make St. Pierre one of the top paid fighters in the organization.
- For those of you interested, check out the latest edition of ‘Fight Opinion Radio’. This weeks show revolves around the upcoming IFL show as the bring on Stephen Quadros and fighter Clint Coronel. Also on the show is a recap of Ultimate Fight Night 8.
- Wrestling Observer released the bout order for UFC 67: All or Nothing…
UFC 67 line-up for Saturday in order:
Diego Saraieva vs. Dustin Hazelett
Frank Edgar vs. Tyson Griffin
Terry Martin vs. Jorge Rivera
Sam Hoger vs. Lyoto Machida
Patrick Cote vs. Scott “desperation punch” Smith
Marvin Eastman vs. Quinton Rampage Jackson
Eddie Sanchez vs. Mirko Cro Cop
John Halverson vs. Roger Huerta
Anderson Silva vs. Travis Lutter for the middelweight title
*Depending on how the show is going, they could reverse No. 3 and No. 4, which will happen if the first two matches don’t go the distance.
- Countdown to UFC 67: All or Nothing will air tonight at 11 PM EST on Spike TV.
- UK lightweight David Lee has confirmed that he’ll appear on the upcoming UFC card in Manchester, England.
News and Notes
- Caol Uno will make his return to the octagon March 3rd at UFC 68 in Ohio. Uno’s opponent will be lightweight contender and ‘The Ultimate Fighter II’ winner Joe Stevenson.
- MMAWeekly has Dan Lauzon, Matt Wiman and Nathan Diaz listed as fighters on the upcoming season of ‘The Ultimate Fighter 5’.
- The IFL has announced that the fight between Vernon White and Raphael Davis has been cancelled because it was not approved by the California State Athletic Commission.
The reasoning behind the decision was that the difference in experience between the two fighters gave one an unfair advantage over another and therfore the bout could be sanctioned. The CSAC is right - White has fought in more than 50 bouts while this would have just been Davis’ third career fight.
This now means that there will be no light-heavyweight fight in tomorrow’s matchup between the Nevada Lions and the San Jose Razorclaws. A second lightweight fight between Joe Martin and Clint Coronel will take place of this one.
- The California State Athletic Commission announced yesterday that MMA promotions seeking to put on a sanctioned event in the state now have the option of using a cage or a ring. The IFL’s event on Friday night will be the first time that a ring will be used in for MMA competition in California’s history…
- Jeff Monson will make his return to the UK at Cage Warriors: Showdown 3, defending his heavyweight belt against an opponent that has yet to be named. However many are speculating that Monson will be taking on Mario Neto in his third title defense.
Monson’s fight with Fedor on the March 3rd Bodog card has been cancelled. The bout has not yet been rescheduled although it is expected they will just move the fight to Bodog’s April event without a problem…