Former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Chuck Liddell discusses his loss to current title holder Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and his upcoming fight against Keith Jardine at UFC 76 late tonight with Brian Kenny on ESPN’s SportsCenter.
Keith Jardine shares his thoughts with ESPN on his upcoming bout against former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Chuck Liddell this Saturday night at UFC 76: Knockout.
News and Notes
- MMA Junkie is reporting a lot of news lately…
The UFC has apparently signed former PRIDE, Shooto, and Pancrase veteran Akihiro Gono and has sent UFC welterweight Tamdan McCrory a contract proposing the fight according to McCrory’s manager:
“He’ll (be at) UFC 78 if he accepts the fight, which I assume he will considering he has fought top guys his whole career,” Ciotoli.
”(The UFC’s been) trying to get me on that card, being that I’m from the area and have a strong fan base in New Jersey,” McCrory told us last month.
Marvin Eastman has been forced to pull out of his scheduled bout against Demian Maia at UFC 77 after undergoing eye surgery:
“I had a weak spot on my retina for a long time, and about two weeks ago, it tore a little bit,” Eastman said. “It felt like sleepy eye. I went in to check it out last Wednesday at 3:30 p.m., and I was in surgery by 7. It’s fixed now, and I’ve got to chill a month and can’t fight until November.“
No word as of yet on a replacement opponent for Eastman.
Chris Lytle may be heading over to the WEC for a possible title shot against WEC Welterweight Champion Carlos Condit:
MMA fan favorite and “The Ultimate Fighter 4” welterweight runner-up Chris Lytle may be leaving the UFC for Zuffa LLC’s other fight promotion — the WEC — and may be in line for an immediate title shot.
In fact, a source close to current WEC welterweight champion Carlos Condit (21-4) first contacted MMAjunkie.com about the possibility, saying UFC and WEC officials were discussing the potential title fight. However, the WEC recently folded a proposed November event into its Dec. 12 fight card, and as of now, the organization has far more fighters than it has fight slots.
A reliable source tell us that a Condit-Lytle fight would happen no sooner than February 2008 — if then — because of the backlog.
- Brazilian MMA website Tatame is reporting that former PRIDE star Ricardo Arona may currently be in contract talks with the UFC.
Hat tip to UFC Mania for the Arona link.
- So Matt Hamill has a torn ACL? He also fought Michael Bisping with that torn ACL? Read what Adam Morgan and 411Mania have to say about that.
- It seems that the UFC has took down UFC Takedown:
Late last week, Matt Cava of UFCtakedown.com was issued a Cease and Desist by Zuffa, LLC. He has been told to remove his website. They specifically nailed him for using UFC in his URL as well as broadcasting illegal fight videos. September 8th’s UFC 75: Champion v. Champion videos as well as a fight between Ricardo Arona and Quinton Jackson were specifically mentioned. As of today, UFCtakedown.com no longer exists. In the meantime, Matt has been able to secure MMAtakedown.net for the time being.
- Brigham Young University has banned Versus from the school’s channel selection, citing costs and the broadcasting of MMA as the reasons:
BYU has banned access to Versus on its campus cable, citing cost and content issues such as ultimate fighting.
Touch of gloves to Fight Opinion for that one.
Luke Thomas, Sam Caplan, and Matt Cava recap EliteXC: Uprising and preview UFC 76.
Sherdog: Tale of Two Coaches
MMA Weekly: Catching up with Matt Lindland
Fight Opinion: Pro Elite pays big for KOTC & Cage Rage
Fightlinker: Kang forsakes America, may secretly be a communist
Bloody Elbow: How to Build a MMA Cage?
Houston Chronicle: Fitch gets his shot at UFC’s main stage
Daily Star: Dancing Iceman’s Hot Move
Chicago Sports: Keeping up with Montini’s Chase Beebe
DALLAS - Mixed Martial Arts superstar Chuck Liddell and actor/comedian Kevin James help kick off the premiere episode of Inside MMA, the new weekly HDNet series covering the latest news, rankings, stats and highlights from the world of Mixed Martial Arts.
Inside MMA, hosted by Kenny Rice and former MMA fighter Bas Rutten, debuts on HDNet at 9:30 p.m. ET on Friday, September 14. This episode includes an appearance by former MMA fighter and HDNet Fights Commissioner Guy Mezger. Each episode of Inside MMA will also include in-depth features by HDNet’s Ron Kruck.
“Inside MMA is the only program of its kind,” said Mark Cuban, president and co-founder of HDNet. “It will be THE destination for MMA fans looking for the latest news and information on this exciting sport.”
HDNet has also announced the new HDNet Fights series that will premiere on the network on October 19.
“I’ve never hand-picked an opponent.”
Those words from the mouth of former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Chuck Liddell were spoken in order to shoot down a slew of rumors that popped up last week concerning Liddell possibly hand-selecting Keith Jardine as his opponent at UFC 76.
Liddell discussed the Jardine rumors as well as the usual fight selection process he went through in the UFC with MMA Weekly:
“There would be no reason to hand-pick Jardine. The only time I’ve ever asked for a guy is when I asked to fight Kevin Randleman because I wanted to fight a guy that had a name at the time because they kept giving me guys as little known as I was. I think that’s the only time I’ve ever asked for someone specifically.”
“They talked to me about fighting Wanderlei in September, and I said, ‘Yeah, that’s fine. Cool. Perfect.’ Then I heard it fell out. I assumed they were going to put me with Shogun [Rua] because I knew he was on the same card. I figured they would put me with Shogun, but they came to me and said they wanted me to fight Keith. I’m not complaining. I don’t argue with people about who I’m going to fight. I fight whoever they tell me to,” explained Liddell.
Various sites reported that Liddell was offered a choice between Jardine, Mauricio Rua, Kazuhiro Nakamura, and Ryoto Machida.
News and Notes:
- Remember to vote on our current edition of ‘Rock the Vote’.
- In a recent interview UFC president Dana White confirmed that UFC 75 will be televised on Spike TV and Keith Jardine vs. Chuck Liddell will headline UFC 76 on September 22nd in Anahiem.
- MMA legend Royce Gracie has decided not to appeal the suspension handed down by the California State Athletic Commission after he tested positive for an anabolic agent during his post-fight drug test at K-1 Dynamite!! USA.
- Chris Guillen will replace the injured Wes Sims at the first ever Global FC event August 17 at Mohegan Sun Arena. Guillen, who recently defeated Sims for the second time, will be facing UFC veteran Jeff “The Snowman” Monson for the Global Fighting Championships heavyweight title.
- GracieFighter.com is reporting that Nate Diaz will be fighting at UFC Fight Night 11.
After winning the TUF Finale, Nathan Diaz will now be returning to the UFC. He is slated to fight on the 19th of September at the Palms in Las Vegas, Nevada. His opponent has not yet been named, however we should have an official confirmation sometime next week.
In a recent interview with Yahoo! Sports UFC president Dana White confirmed that Chuck Liddell vs. Keith Jardine will headline UFC 76 on Sept. 22nd in Anaheim.
“Keith Jardine is a tough guy,” said White. “He got caught. That can happen. But Chuck got caught too.
White bristled at the notion Liddell-Jardine is not a headline-caliber match. “It is definitely a main event, in my opinion,” he said. “Jardine beat a lot of good guys, and he absolutely deserves to be fighting Chuck. He wouldn’t if Chuck still had the title, but I don’t think he needs to win a lot of fights just to get a fight with Chuck.”
It was originally thought that Liddell would be facing Wanderlei Silva at UFC 76 but the fight fell apart at the last minute. Silva has gone on the record saying he will be ready for a fight with Liddell in November.
Yesterday reports surfaced stating that MMA legends Chuck Liddell and Wanderlei Silva would be headlining UFC 76 in Anahiem, California.
Shortly after the fight was announced a story titled “Liddell-Silva Scrapped…Again” ran on the UFC website stating Silva did not want the fight with Chuck Liddell.
There was a glimmer of hope in the last couple of weeks, when terms were reportedly reached for the two future Hall of Famers to meet at UFC 76 in Anaheim, California, but Wednesday afternoon, a Silva representative informed UFC President Dana White that ‘The Axe Murderer’ did not want the fight.
“You never say it’s never gonna happen, but until you have something signed, you never say it’s gonna happen in this sport,” said Liddell. “It’s just one of those things. Before he had excuses, now he doesn’t. There’s nothing in his way now.”
Wanderlei Silva took time to respond to the comments saying he still wants the fight with Liddell but the proposed showdown in September just wasn’t convenient for him but he would be ready for a November showdown.
Here is the video (Portuguese):
The Fight Network has posted an excellent transcript of Wanderlei’s message:
“Hey Folks, I came here to clarify some things that are popping up about myself, about this bout between me and Chuck. I want to say that at no time I said I didn’t want to fight him. Much to the contrary, I have been wanting this fight for a long time. I’m very anxious for this bout, and I have already been preparing myself for some time, and I received a contract where I had two options, to fight either in September or in November.
Without a doubt it’s the most important fight of my life, I know the guy’s a big name in the USA, as I’m a big name as well, so I think we have all the tools to do a very exciting fight, and that’s why it’s that much awaited. I opted to do this fight in November, and at no time I said I didn’t want to fight him - much to the contrary, I was the first to propose this bout, and they were
hiding him behind many reasons, and now people are saying that I chickened out.
Much to the contrary, I’m here to say I didn’t chicken out, and I’m going for it. I think I need to be in my best shape, both physically and technically, so I want this extra time to be able to train better, and really be at the top of my preparation, so I can show all my potential.
I’m in a moment of a lot of transitions in my life. I’ll likely be moving to the USA in the next week, or the one following it, I’ll live there now, so a lot of things are happening and I’m having to take care of too many things, so I’m not able to focus directly on my training, which is what I need to do. I always did everything the promoters wanted, always fought whenever promoters wanted, and I was always available to all the promotions I worked for, and sometimes I even did things I shouldn’t have done, things that ended up hindering my own image, and this time I said “No, I’ll stop and organize my life to really be able to train and show everybody the Wanderlei Silva everybody is used to see.
I’m anxious to get back at winning, and I know of my responsibility with a lot of people from the whole world that supports me. Sometimes maybe because of anxiety from promoters in wanting me in a show, a lot of people start to say a lot of things, but none of that is true. [The] truth is that this fight will happen, if he doesn’t hide behind this now. If it’s not against him, then I don’t know - I’ll see what will happen.
But first, what I want to happen is that this fight takes place in November, so we can do a great spectacle that everybody’s waiting for. This bout has everything to be a historical bout in MMA, as all the fans have been awaiting this for a long time, and I hope to be at my best to show the Wanderlei Silva all of you want to see, with a lot of heart and determination, defending our flag and making it so I can bring happiness to all my fans that support me.
So this message is for you guys that want to know what’s happening, and to hear it straight from my mouth, not to keep hearing what’s taking place around [me], and this is the truth. Thanks guys, and stay with God –with his help I’ll be back strong, showing you the spectacle you are all used to seeing. Thanks a lot.”
Chuck Liddell vs. Wanderlei Silva in November, make it happen Dana!
THQ released a preview trailer for the new UFC video game it will be releasing in the first quarter of 2008 yesterday. The clip features a bout between UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Quinton Jackson and Chuck Liddell. The game is expected to be released for the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 consoles as of right now.
Kevin Iole of Yahoo! Sports is reporting that Wanderlei Silva has turned down an offer to fight Chuck Liddell at UFC 76 on September 22 and that the promotion is now scrambling for a main event.
Iole learned about the circumstances from UFC President Dana White who stated that he learned through Silva’s Chute Boxe team that he did not want to fight Liddell:
“This is the worst news I could have possibly gotten,” White said. “It’s horrendous. I have been trying to make this fight for six years. I have done everything in my power I could do over the last six years to make this fight and it’s still not happening. I just don’t see it happening now.”
“This just happened (Wednesday afternoon) and I’m not sure what we’re going to do,” White said. “We’re trying to figure it out. It’s not a fun time right now.”
We will continue to follow this story as it develops…