Cage Rage

Andy Geer: ProElite Never Completed Cage Rage Purchase


Andy Geer (left) and Dave O’Donnell. Photo courtesy of Ring Pics.

In an interesting twist in the seemingly never-ending ProElite saga, former Cage Rage promoter Andy Geer has revealed that ProElite never actually completed the purchase of Cage Rage when they acquired the organization last summer, resulting in Geer now attempting to buy back the promotion he once called his own.

From MMA Weekly:

The plot thickens in the ProElite debacle with a new slant on the situation not yet revealed… a conversation with Andy Geer following the inaugural Ultimate Challenge show this past weekend revealed that although Cage Rage had been purchased by ProElite, they hadn’t actually paid for it before going under.

Geer explains the situation, “To all intents and purposes, ProElite had entered into an agreement to purchase Cage Rage. A deal was struck with a deposit accepted. Then they had a cut-off date to make a balloon payment; they never completed the purchase.”

If Geer’s comments are valid, there remains the possibility that ProElite never completed purchasing King of the Cage either. However this new development brings a question to my mind: If ProElite technically never owned Cage Rage or possibly King of the Cage, why are Geer and Terry Trebilcock going through so much trouble in trying to re-acquire their promotions. Don’t they still technically own them?

Morning News and Notes: Lashley Debut Set, Burkman Injured & More


Bobby Lashley. Photo courtesy of American Top Team.

— Former WWE star Bobby Lashley will soon join Brock Lesnar in the professional ranks of mixed martial arts. Lashley has reportedly signed on to make his pro debut against fellow newcomer Joshua Franklin at the Mixed Fighting Alliance’s scheduled December 13 event in Miami. The card will be headlined by a rematch between UFC veterans Ricco Rodriguez and Jeff Monson. Rodriguez stopped Monson via third-round TKO in the first meeting at UFC 35 in January 2002.

— UFC welterweight Josh Burkman will be sidelined indefinitely while attempting to heal two bulging discs in his back and another bulging disc in his neck. Burkman, who has attributed his current three-fight losing streak partially to the injury, says that he will first try to heal the injury via physical therapy before potentially undergoing surgery, which is similar to what Nate Quarry and Tito Ortiz have recently had, to repair the injury.

Continue reading "Morning News and Notes: Lashley Debut Set, Burkman Injured & More"

Cage Rage: “It’s Business as Usual”


Andy Geer (left) and Dave O’Donnell. Photo courtesy of Ring Pics.

Just like his King of the Cage counterparts under the former umbrella of ProElite, Cage Rage promoter Dave O’Donnell is determined to continue to run his ship as if nothing happened to his organization’s parent company, starting with Cage Rage’s “Contenders 11” show on November 1.

From MMA Weekly:

Dave O’Donnell, the one constant since its inception, told MMAWeekly.com of the demise of the brand’s parent company, “For Cage Rage it is business as usual. The next show is Contenders. It’s still going ahead. I can tell you that much.”

An interesting statement, and one that begs the question: so if ProElite pulls out of MMA with EliteXC, does that mean they are going to sell their umbrella brands back to their previous owners? “Put it this way, one way or another we will still keep going, maybe it’s eventually under another name, maybe it’s not, but we will still be here, that’s all I can say,” added O’Donnell.

The thought of continuing to promote under a different entity has become a strong possibility with multiple suitors likely planning on bidding for the ProElite brand names once the company officially goes under by the end of the week. Then again, ProElite could easily sell back the naming rights to both Cage Rage and KOTC seeing that potential buyers likely won’t hold any interest in them at the moment.

EliteXC’s Demise Likely to Signal Change in MMA Landscape


Photo by Esther Lin/EliteXC.

High network television ratings, the financial backing of two media giants, and the greatest amount of visibility for an MMA promotion to date proved to be not enough for ProElite and its figurehead brand, EliteXC, as another organization that attempted to dethrone the Zuffa empire has likely come to a crashing halt.

The news of ProElite’s demise has quickly spread throughout the mixed martial arts community and as expected, so has reaction. However the story of the downfall of one of MMA’s most influential companies is just beginning as facts regarding ProElite’s insurmountable debt, failed sale, and questionable tactics will likely surface within the next few weeks following its expected cessation at the end of this week.

Continue reading "EliteXC’s Demise Likely to Signal Change in MMA Landscape"

Fight of the Day: Vitor Belfort vs. James Zikic

From Cage Rage 23: Unbelievable in September 2007, here’s former UFC champion Vitor Belfort going up against England native James Zikic for the Cage Rage light heavyweight title.

 

Fight of the Day: Paul Daley vs. Mark Weir

From Cage Rage 23: Unbelievable in September 2007, here’s Paul Daley vs. Mark Weir for the vacant Cage Rage welterweight title.

ProElite Stuck in Potential Financial Trouble


Photo by Esther Lin/EliteXC.

While last month’s respective resignations of Gary Shaw and Doug DeLuca from ProElite weren’t anything to be too alarmed about, the mounting evidence concerning EliteXC’s parent company and it’s potential financial troubles certainly is.

Less than 24 hours after EliteXC’s planned “Showdown at the Pit” event on September 20th was abruptly cancelled, word comes now that England-based Cage Rage, which ProElite acquired in the fall of last year, has cancelled it’s latest “Contenders” event according to MMA Weekly.

“We cancelled the show in order to focus on the November contenders show, which will be the first time we have done a live contenders show in full direct to TV,” Cage Rage figurehead Dave O’Donnell said in the report. “It made no sense to spread ourselves thin on this occasion.”

Continue reading "ProElite Stuck in Potential Financial Trouble"

Evening News and Notes - August 9, 2009


Ben Rothwell. Photo by Tracy Lee. Courtesy of CombatLifestyle.com

Report: Rothwell-Rizzo to Happen at Affliction II

Former IFL heavyweight champion Ben Rothwell will attempt to bounce back from his first loss in three years when he reportedly takes on three-time UFC heavyweight title challenger Pedro Rizzo at Affliction’s “Day of Reckoning” event on October 11th in Las Vegas according to MMANews.com, which cites Affliction VP Tom Atencio as confirming the fight.

At Affliction’s debut show last month, Rothwell suffered a third-round knockout loss to former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski while Rizzo was defeated in a rematch against Josh Barnett, another former UFC title holder. Barnett knocked Rizzo out with a left in the second round of their fight.

WVR Announces Middleweight GP Participants

World Victory Road has announced four of the fighters that will compete in their inaugural middleweight grand prix, which will begin at “Sengoku V” on September 28th at the Yoyogi National First Gymnasium in Tokyo, Japan. Evangelista “Cyborg” Santos, Jorge Santiago, Kazuhiro Nakamura, Siyar Bahadurzada will all compete in first-round bouts.

Continue reading "Evening News and Notes - August 9, 2009"

Robert “Buzz” Berry Announces Retirement


Robert “Buzz” Berry. From dmgifford on Flickr.

Longtime Cage Rage and Goshin Ryu MMA Championships veteran Robert “Buzz” Berry has officially announced his retirement from the spot following a seven-year career that saw the heavyweight fight exclusively in his home country of England.

Berry revealed his intention to talk away from the sport in a post in the Cage Warriors message forums yesterday evening.

“Just to let you all know I have had to retire,” Berry said in the post. “After my fight with Neil Grove I was taken to the hospital and had to have surgery on my face. They have had to put two plates in, one in my cheek bone and one on my eye socket. So that is it, over for me. Thank you to all my camp and other camps for their help over the years in getting me ready for fights. Thanks to all my fans in their support for me, it has always meant a lot. Thanks to the guys at Cage Rage for their part in my fighting and to anyone I have missed out.”

Berry racked up a 13-8 record over the course of his career. Although he had been competing since 2001, Berry earned the biggest win of his career this past March, scoring a brutal knockout of mixed martial arts legend Ken Shamrock at Cage Rage 25. He most recently suffered his second straight loss to heavyweight prospect Neil Grove at Cage Rage’s latest affair last weekend in London.

HT: MMA Weekly

Baroni to Not Press Charges


Phil Baroni. Photo by Jon Swenson.

Phil Baroni has opted not to press charges against Dean Jansen following an unprovoked attack on Baroni following his first-round knockout win Saturday afternoon at Cage Rage’s latest event in London, England.

Baroni, who stopped Scott Jansen with a left hook in the show’s main event, went over to check on the condition of his opponent after the fight when he was surprisingly headbutted by Dean. However cooler heads prevailed and the situation quickly died down with Baroni laughing it off and the younger Jansen being thrown out of the arena.

“These things happen.” Baroni said in a statement on Cage Rage’s official website. “It must be tough to see a loved one get knocked out like that. Emotions ran high. I want to put this behind me.”

Organization figurehead Dave O’Donnell has banned Dean Jansen from attending any of his brother’s future fights and has launched an investigation concerning the lack of security around the cage following the fight.

“We launched an immediate investigation in to cageside security and have issued a ban on a member of Scott’s family attending future fights,” O’Donnell said. “This should not have happened. Baroni has shown a lot of dignity throughout. Many fighters might have responded and escalated the situation. However it was great to see the guys in the bar after the fight shaking hands and joking. The incident is now closed.”

Page 1 of 9 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›