Sherdog.com is reporting that Royce Gracie will not appeal his suspension he received from the California State Athletic Commission for testing positive for a banned anabolic agent.
“I did not appeal the decision because I have been in Spain for the last 1 1/2 (months) on vacation with my family, and for me to appeal, I would have to get a lawyer, and then get some experts to run tests and then get more experts to argue with their experts—or I can just pay $2,500 fine, and sit out for one year,” Gracie said via e-mail Monday. “Well, I fight once a year anyway and it’s much cheaper to pay $2,500 in fine then $10,000 retainer to attorney’s alone. As for my fans, those who believe me, believe me anyway, and those who don’t, does not matter what I do, or what I say, they will not believe anyway.”
Gracie had until July 13th to appeal the suspension but according to the report, the CSAC still had not received a formal appeal “and as a result the $2,500 fine and one-year suspension, which expires May 30, 2008, are final.”
Here are the payouts from UFC 73: Stacked.
Anderson Silva ($90,000) def. Nate Marquardt ($24,000)
Tito Ortiz ($210,000) vs. Rashad Evans ($16,000)
Sean Sherk ($28,000) def. Hermes Franca ($14,000)
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira ($200,000) def. Heath Herring ($70,000)
Kenny Florian ($16,000) def. Alvin Robinson ($3,000)
Stephan Bonnar ($32,000) def. Mike Nickels ($5,000)
Jorge Gurgel ($14,000) def. Diego Saraiva ($3,000)
Chris Lytle ($20,000) def. Jason Gilliam ($3,000)
Frankie Edgar ($10,000) def. Mark Bocek ($3,000)
Disclosed Fighter Payroll: $761,000
News and Notes:
- UFC, PRIDE, and Pancrase veteran Ricardo Almeida will be making a return to MMA competition after a three-year hiatus from the sport. Earlier this week, Cage Fury Fighting Championships announced that they had signed Almeida to fight in their next event in September. MMA Weekly is reporting that Dennis Hallman will most likely be Almeida’s opponent.
- The California State Athletic Commission has announced that they are unable to do anything that would prevent Hong Man Choi from taking on Gary Goodridge in the K-1 World Grand Prix on August 5th because they do not have jurisdiction in Asia:
“I got instructions from legal that we don’t have jurisdiction over them in Asia,” said CSAC Executive Director Armando Garcia today during a Fight Network Radio interview. “In other words, if they went over there and had a show there and included Mr. Choi, and then decided to come back, they would not be facing disciplinary action just for that.”
- Phil Baroni has filed a formal appeal with the California State Athletic Commission that will go against the CSAC’s claim that Baroni tested positive for two different types of steroids after his fight with Frank Shamrock last month.
- Kelly Kobold Gavin will replace an injured Laura D’Auguste as Tara LaRosa’s opponent for the first ever BodogFight Women’s Championship bout at next Saturday’s event in Trenton, NJ, BodogFight: Eddie Alvarez vs Matt Lee.
Video of the Day:
Live Shows -
The California State Athletic Commission has announced that Phil Baroni tested positive for Boldenone Metabolite and Stanozolol Metabolite, two common anabolic steroids, after his loss to Frank Shamrock at EliteXC/Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Baroni.
Middleweight Phil Baroni tested positive for Boldenone and Stanozolol Metabolites, the California State Athletic Commission announced Tuesday afternoon. The 31-year-old from Long Island, New York has been fined $2,500 and suspended 365 days from the conclusion of his loss against Frank Shamrock on June 22 in San Jose. The final 51 days of that suspension will be fulfilled at the start of Baroni’s next licensing year, should he decide to reapply.
Baroni joins Carter Williams, who tested positive for cocaine, as the second fighter to fail their test following the EliteXC/Strikeforce card.
The California State Athletic Commission announced today that K-1 veteran Carter Williams tested positive for cocaine following his knockout loss to the hands of Paul Buentello.
“Carter Williams, who last competed for Strikeforce/EliteXC on June 22, 2007 in San Jose, has tested positive for Cocaine. He has been fined $1,000. His suspension began at the conclusion of his bout on June 22, 2007 and will run through December 19, 2007.”
MMAWeekly is reporting that Phil Baroni goes in for surgery this week to repair a hernia and torn groin muscle. Baroni suffered the injury early in the first round of his Strikeforce middleweight title fight with Frank Shamrock.
“[Phil’s] got three months of absolutely nothing,” said Pavia. He won’t be allowed to do any sort of training [during that time]. It’ll be 6-7 months before he can fight again.”
Today Baroni’s agent, Ken Pavia, appeared on “The Savage Dog Show” and gave a little information about the pre-fight drama and Baroni’s injuries.
“I don’t know if you guys knew this but the weigh-ins were Thursday and Monday he was informed by the CSAC that he wasn’t going to fight because additional medicals were mandated that he didn’t have time to do. So what he did was left Las Vegas on Monday - flew to Northern California and went through a battery of tests. Flew back to Vegas - flew then to Southern California for an additional battery of tests, I know because I drove him and we camped out at Dr. Gloveson’s (?) office at 6 AM in the morning because Phil couldn’t sleep he was so anxious to get over there. He went through an additional battery of tests there - flew back to Vegas and ultimately up to San Jose so at the day of the weigh-ins he was finally physically cleared to fight.”
“I know that Frank fought without an ACL which he allegedly hasn’t had for years and an MCL which was torn weeks prior. Phil additionally came in with an injured hamstring which caused him to injure his groin, a quartizone shot the week of the fight which numbed the area and if you watch the fight in the first 30 seconds what actually happens we later found out from the treating doctors is he tore the groin from the bone and a piece of the testes shot through hernia and if anybody has had a hernia they know it’s excruciating pain. Phil went back to the locker room and had what looked like a tennis ball protruding from his groin.”
Add another one to the list…
The Californa State Athletic Commission is reporting that Jorge Ortiz (14-3) tested positive for Nandrolone Metabolite after his fight on June 8th at Total Combat 21 in San Diego, California. Ortiz has been slapped with a hefty suspension and a $2,500 fine.
“He has been fined $2,500. His suspension period runs from the conclusion of his bout on June 8, 2007 through the remainder of his licensing year, which is March 19, 2008. Furthermore, he has been assessed an additional 80 days in order to fulfill the terms of his suspension (365 total days). The additional days will be added at the beginning of his next licensing year when he reapplies.”
Nandrolone is the same anabolic agent that Royce Gracie recently tested positive for.
Here are the official weigh-in results for Strikeforce: Shamrock vs Baroni.
Frank Shamrock (184) vs. Phil Baroni (183)
Cung Le (179) vs. Tony Fryklund (177.5)
Joey Villasenor (184) vs. Murilo “Ninja” Rua (184)
Paul Daley (170) vs. Duane “Bang” Ludwig (170)
Josh Thomson (154) vs. Nick Gonzalez (155)
Carter Williams (265.5) vs. Paul Buentello (250.5)
Edson Berto (155) vs. Victor Valenzuela (155)
Nik Theotikos (181) vs. Nick Covert (175)
Mike Pyle (168.5) vs. Aaron Weartherspoon (168.5)
Jason Von Flue (173) vs. Luke Stewart (173)
Rex Richards (305.5) vs. Ray Seraille (265.5)
Chris Cariaso (134) vs. Anthony Figueroa (132.5)
Sam Spengler (184) vs. Seth Kleinbeck (184.5)
David Smith (155) vs. Sean Bassett (154)
Sherdog.com is reporting that the California State Athletic Commission has cleared both Phil Baroni and Murilo “Ninja” Rua allowing them to compete on Friday’s co-promoted EliteXC/Strikeforce card.
Hurdles in the way of Phil Baroni and Murilo Rua’s anticipated fights Friday in San Jose, Calif. have been cleared, California State Athletic Commission Executive Officer Armando Garcia told Sherdog.com.
Armando Garcia and Ken Pavia have confirmed that the medical situation surrounding Murilo Rua has now been resolved and it is likely that he will go on to face Joey Villasenor for the Elite XC Middleweight Title this Friday night.
Elite XC originally announced that Rua was off of the card after failing a physical given by the CSAC. However he was never denied a license to fight in the state and after some consideration, Garcia found that Rua would be able to compete after all.
Vitale will be paid by Elite XC for his troubles and even though he probably will not be fighting on this event, Elite XC agreed to sign him to a long-term deal.