Brad Imes

CKA: Nov 2, 2007

News and Notes

- Our rumors page has been updated…

- Jordan Breen’s latest Koubousen Companion on Sherdog reveals that DEEP boss Shigeru Saeki is stating that Ryo Chonan’s contract with the UFC is non-exclusive and Chonan will be expected to defend his title next year:

On the topic of championship reform, Saeki also revealed that as 181-pound champion Ryo Chonan’s new UFC contract is non-exclusive, the 181-pound title will likely be on the market early next year. Saeki stated last month that he planned on having a 181-pound challenger tournament next year. But in light of recent events, that same tournament, which will likely begin in February or April, will probably be for DEEP’s divisional championship.

Update 6:09 PM: Sherdog corrected the article, stating that Chonan’s contract is exclusive, not non-exclusive.

- EliteXC President Gary Shaw confirmed that he has had preliminary talks with members of the company about a potential showdown between the two according to The Fight Network:

EliteXC Live Events President Gary Shaw confirmed this week he has held preliminary discussions about promoting a potential megafight between brothers Frank and Ken Shamrock within EliteXC. The two adopted brothers have expressed a willingness to fight one another in the past.

“I talked to my team about it,” Shaw said. “I would love to do brother versus brother. It would be a great promotion.”

- The IFL has announced Bart Palaszewski has agreed to terms with the on a contract that will keep him in the promotion through 2008.

- MMA Junkie is reporting that Renato “Babalu” Sobral has signed a non-exclusive deal with Xcess Fighting. He will make his debut for the promotion on December 12th:

“I am undeniably the biggest ‘Babalu’ fan that lives,” Xcess Fighting spokesperson Bruce Bellocchi stated. “Xcess Fighting believes he has tremendous talent, and (we) are extremely proud to be able to get him back into he cage and in front of his fans so quickly.“

An opponent for Sobral and location for the event will be named in the near future.

- Asgard MMA reports that Per Eklund has signed with the UFC. Rumors have been floating around for months about Eklund’s possible signing and this can only help to certify that as being true. The deal is a four-fight, 18 month deal. Eklund is slated to fight at UFC 80 in Newcastle, England against an opponent yet to be named.

- So apparently Brad Imes has trained with Brock Lesnar in the past. Imes says that Lesnar’s game was lacking:

I think he’s got a lot of potential. His stand up is really kinda nonexistent, but he’s obviously a big powerful guy. And his ground game…I know, he’s a D-1 national champ but I think he’s pretty rusty as far as his ground game. I was able to pass guard on him, mount him, do whatever I wanted with him on the ground really. And he really didn’t feel that strong to me, granted I don’t grapple with anyone that feels strong to me.

But, I think that one of his strengths when he was in college was that he was much stronger than everyone he went up against; and heavyweights, no matter what the sport . . . it is hard to find good ones. So, I think if he sticks with it he’ll be great. I just think it was a mistake going to the UFC so quick. And I say that from someone who knows.

Radio Schedule

Full Contact Fighter Podcast - Jason Reinhardt and John Harnett

12-1 PM EST - TAGG Radio
1-3 PM EST - The Savage Dog Show
3-5 PM EST - The Beatdown
3-4 PM EST - The Fight Network Radio
9-10 PM EST - MMAWeekly’s Sound Off
11 PM EST - Knockout Radio

KOTC: Arch Rivals Results

Aaron Buck def. Tim Bradley - Submission (Armbar)
Jack Montgomery def. Adam Torres - Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
Shannone Callos def. Hunter Worsham - Submission (Triangle)
Brad Imes def. Bo Cantrell - Submission (Gogoplata)
Dan Molina def. Bubba McDaniel - Submission (Heel Hook)
Tony Lopez def. Frank Appah - TKO (Strikes)
Bao Quach def. Chris David - Unanimous Decision
Anthony Lapsley def. Jaime Jara - Submission (Rear Naked Choke)

CSAC Releases “Brawl for it All” Card

The California State Athletic Commission released the official fight card for No Limit Fighting’s “Brawl For It All” this Saturday at the Cow Palace in San Francisco earlier today. The release came at the hands of numerous complaints from various fans and officials that the promotion was falsely advertising fighters to be participating on the card.

We reported that Nick Diaz had no knowledge of a scheduled fight against Mark Moreno at the event earlier this month.

Here the official card according to the CSAC:

Vince Lucero vs. Cain Velasquez
Alex Serdyukov vs. Mark Moreno
Ruben Villarreal vs. Brad Imes
Jake Hattan vs. Charles Bennett
Matt Major vs. Marcus Gaines
Kyle Rideau vs. Khomkrit Niimi
Bo Cantrell vs. Bryan Pardoe
Gabe Rivas vs. Gabe Ruediger
Van Oscar Penvaroff vs. Eric Jacob
Shawn Klarcyk vs. Ed Lavelle
Arron Carvalo vs. Andrew Martinez
Chris David vs. Michael Pedro

The list of fighters that No Limit Fighting’s originally advertised as participating and are now not listed are as follows: Jeff Monson, Nick Diaz, Chris Marez, Mia St. John, Javier Vazquez, Leland Chapman, and Antonio McKee among others.

A little ridiculous if you ask me. Let’s hope it’s the last promotion run by these idiots, who I’ve heard includes Shannon Ritch as one of the promoters. Not a surprise if that is true.

Imes Makes His Return at UFC 69; Takes on Herring

The UFC announced earlier today that Brad Imes would make his return to the Octagon against Heath Herring in a heavyweight battle at UFC 69: Shootout…

The Hillbilly Heartthrob’ is back. After a layoff of a year and a day come fight night, ‘Ultimate Fighter 2’ finalist Brad Imes makes his return to the Octagon on April 7th when he faces perennial heavyweight contender Heath Herring at UFC 69 in Houston, Texas.

The 6 foot 7 Imes, owner of a 2-2 UFC record (5-2 overall), is coming off two losses that were anything but defeats in the eyes of MMA fans, as he left it all in the Octagon in his entertaining wars with Rashad Evans and Dan Christison.

Sidelined by injury, Imes hasn’t seen any action since the April 2006 loss to Christison, but now back at 100%, the Missouri native is ready to reintroduce himself to the MMA world with his bout against Herring.

Imes Out, Pendergarst In

It has been announced that ‘The Ultimate Fighter III’ finalist Brad Imes has pulled out of his fight at UFC 65: Bad Intentions and his replacement will be Sherman Pendergarst. No official reason has been provided as to why Brad Imes pulled out.

Sherman Pendergarst sports a mixed martial arts record of 7-3 and he holds a victory over UFC veteran Aaron Brink. Pendergarst has suffered losses to UFC veterans Carmelo Marrero and Justin Eilers.

Sakara and Imes Added to UFC 65

The Ultimate Fighting Championship has announced that UFC veterans Alessio Sakara and Brad Imes will be returning to the octagon November 18th for UFC 65.

Sakara will be stepping into the cage with fellow UFC veteran Wilson Gouveia and Imes will be facing off against Antoni Hardonk.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2