Athletic Commissions

NSAC Suspends Sherk for Post-Fight Exit, Maybe


Sean Sherk. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

Following his surprising unanimous decision loss to Frankie Edgar at UFC 98 this past weekend, Sean Sherk has been suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission for 45 days. On top of his required medical suspension that is. At least so he says.

Just as Dana White stated after the bout, Sherk literally ran out of the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas with no shirt, and his fight shorts and gloves still on, neglecting to even give the ringside doctor a second to look him over.

According to Sherk, his emotions were running high and he went outside to take a jog and keep his emotions in check after suffering just the fourth loss of his career and his first defeat to a fighter that hasn’t currently or previously held the UFC welterweight title:

Continue reading "NSAC Suspends Sherk for Post-Fight Exit, Maybe"

Penn Not Interested in Fighting in Vegas Again

Just like Sean Sherk after his battle with the California State Athletic Commission over a disputed positive steroids test, UFC lightweight king B.J. Penn now wants no business with the state of Nevada after commission officials recently stated that disciplinary action over UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre’s debated vaseline use during their UFC 94 fight is unlikely.

In his latest video blog (which is above), Penn states that he has “no interest” in ever fighting in Las Vegas or Nevada again and that NSAC figurehead Keith Kizer “can’t be trusted”. Penn also discusses his preparation for his title defense against Kenny Florian, which will come on August 8 in Philadelphia at UFC 101.

CSAC Announces Policy Changes


From Oldvidhead on Flickr.

The California State Athletic Commission today announced several changes to their set of rules and regulations. All changes are set to go into effect immediately and may have quick results in terms of boxing and mixed martial arts events held in the state.

Among the changes include how a fighter may appeal a positive test for a performance enhancing substance or drug of abuse, the amount of tape permitted to be wrapped around a fighter’s wrist, and which fighters will be subjected to pre-fight drug tests.

However the biggest addition to the rules involves the new ability for a bout to be changed to a no-contest regardless of what kind of drug a fighter tests for, including previously non-fight changing substances such as marijuana, cocaine, and pain killers.

Continue reading "CSAC Announces Policy Changes"

Ken Shamrock Tests Positive for Steroids


Ken Shamrock. Photo by Esther Lin/EliteXC.

It looks like Ken Shamrock’s date with Bobby Lashley later this month won’t be happening after all. (Thank God, seriously) The California State Athletic Commission says that he’s tested positive for three different kinds of steroids following his recent submission win over Ross Clifton and will be sitting on the sidelines for one year:

UFC legend Ken Shamrock has been suspended for one year for testing positive for the steroid Stanozolol, as well as two Nandrolone-based substances, 19-Norandrosterone and 19-Noretiocholanolone, according to a statement issued by the California State Athletic Commission on Wednesday.

Shamrock‘s manager and attorney Rod Donohoo said the fighter has adamantly denied the allegations and will appeal the suspension.

“Ken was taking legal over-the-counter products, and based upon our preliminary research, I’m investigating if those products were the result of these findings,” Donohoo told Sherdog.com on Wednesday.

Here’s another instance of GNC-type supplements supposedly screwing over a fighter, if Shamrock’s claim is true of course. Like I’ve said before, it’s not worth taking them anymore. It seems like anything and everything has traces of banned substances these days.

Luke Thomas thinks that Shamrock’s troubles aren’t “punchline worthy” any longer, and he’s right. One of the sport’s pioneers is fighting well past his prime, embarrassing himself in the process, and tarnishing his legacy with his actions outside of the cage while everyone is sitting back and watching. It’s sad to see.

Evening News and Notes: Couture Agrees to Fight Nogueira; Kelly to Lightweight & More


Randy Couture. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

Here are your news and notes for the evening of February 26, 2009.

  • Former UFC heavyweight and light heavyweight champion Randy Couture has reportedly agreed to fight former UFC and PRIDE heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at a planned bout that would tentatively take place at UFC 101 in August. The event could take place in Portland, Oregon. The UFC is currently awaiting a response from Nogueira’s camp.

  • Georges St. Pierre’s camp has filed a formal response to the allegations B.J. Penn and his trainers made following their fight at UFC 94 on January 31. The complete letter sent to the Nevada State Athletic Commission, which was sent yesterday afternoon, can be found here. In the statement, St. Pierre and his camp said that they “did not do anything to jeopardize either Georges’ reputation or the integrity of the sport and have done nothing to violate NSAC rules or to otherwise impugn the outcome of UFC 94”.

  • British fighter Paul Kelly has apparently made the decision to drop down to the lightweight division following his unanimous decision victory over Troy Mandaloniz at UFC 95 last weekend. “I’m definitely dropping to 155-pounds now,” Kelly told UFC.com. “It makes sense. I was eating a big breakfast on the morning of the weigh-in last Friday. While everyone else is dying to make weight, I’m sitting there with a big bowl of muesli and a glass of orange juice. I’ll just have to cut 10-pounds and that’s it. It’s no big deal.”

  • UFC 97 in Montreal in Jeopardy?


    Image courtesy of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

    Crazy story out of Montreal. Apparently, the athletic commission that has overseen MMA in Quebec has decided to strictly enforce a rule they have had on the books for years that disallows elbow and knee strikes in an MMA fight. The French-Canadian sports website RDS has the full story in French, but the gist of it is that Rule #12 which does not allow elbow and knee strikes will now be strictly enforced. Stay tuned for this breaking news story which could affect whether or not UFC 97 takes place in Montreal..

    Update 2/13 3:30 AM: According to James Brydon of Sportsnet.ca, the Quebec Athletic Commission has decided to re-visit the rules that currently oversee MMA in the province. In the past, the commission has opted to use the Unified Rules of MMA in North America, but the events surrounding last weekend’s riot at Stephane Patry’s inaugural Strikebox event has forced officials to potentially go back to the drawing board:

    Changes the commission may implement could affect UFC 97, the Las Vegas-based promotion’s second event in Canada, which is scheduled for April 18 at the Bell Centre in Montreal and for which tickets went on sale Wednesday.

    Sources close to the say these could include a requirement for a much smaller cage than the UFC’s patented Octagon, prohibiting elbow and knee strikes and requiring that the referee halt a bout should a fighter get knocked down from a strike in order to ensure the downed fighter is okay to continue.

    Representatives from the commission told Sportsnet.ca the UFC will have to follow the rules set forth by the commission if they wish to hold their show in Montreal. Marc Ratner, the UFC’s vice president of government and regulatory affairs, is fully aware of the new situation and is hopeful that ongoing discussions with the commission will prove that this will not jeopardize the UFC’s return to the province.

    Penn Asks for Investigation Into GSP Greasing Controversy


    B.J. Penn. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

    It’s not a formal complaint, but B.J. Penn and his camp have sent a letter to the Nevada State Athletic Commission through their lawyer, asking that Keith Kizer and company make sure that St. Pierre and those that worked his corner are “properly dealt with”:

    In Nahabedian’s letter to the commission, he wrote, “Simply put, by lubricating GSP’s body, a highly slippery surface was created that completely neutralized an innocent participant’s abilities and strategy to the advantage of GSP.” It goes on to add, “More importantly, by neutralizing Mr. Penn’s Brazilian jiu-jitsu abilities through the use of illegal and improper means, Mr. Penn was subjected to a life-threatening and career-ending environment; an environment that the Commission was armed to protect against.”

    Nahabedian claims that Penn’s camp told the commission prior to the bout of the possibility of St. Pierre greasing. During the fight, commission members did towel down St. Pierre, but Penn’s letter makes it clear the UFC welterweight champion was still too slippery.

    Kizer said Penn’s cornermen Greg Jackson and Phil Nurse could face a fine or suspension, but would have a chance to answer for their actions before any penalty was handed down.

    It’s key to note that Kizer mentioned that Jackson and Nurse could face a fine or suspension, but not the revocation of their license. Preventing the two from ever working a corner again would hurt the fighters they work with and inadvertently the sport, in more ways than one.

    Arlovski, Lindland Medically Suspended After Affliction Losses


    Andrei Arlovski. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

    The California State Athletic Commission has released the official list of medical suspensions stemming from Affliction’s “Day of Reckoning” show, which took place on January 24 in Anaheim.

    Former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski, who suffered a first-round knockout loss to Fedor Emelianenko, has been suspended for 45 days and will need to be cleared by a physician before he is permitted to return. The same goes for the other two fighters who were knocked out at the event, Matt Lindland and Jason High.

     

    Continue reading "Arlovski, Lindland Medically Suspended After Affliction Losses"

    Faber Leads WEC 38 Salaries


    Urijah Faber. Photo property of World Extreme Cagefighting.

    The California State Athletic Commission has released the official list of fighter salaries stemming from World Extreme Cagefighting’s latest event, which took place on January 25 at the San Diego Sports Arena.

    Jamie Varner successfully defend his WEC lightweight title after an illegal blow from Donald Cerrone ended their contest early, while Varner was ahead on the scorecards. Former WEC featherweight champion Urijah Faber also took a step closer to regaining his belt, dispatching of Jens Pulver for the second time in the past year.

    Remember that this is only the base salary that a fighter received. Bonuses, deductions, and other undisclosed fees are not included.

     

    Continue reading "Faber Leads WEC 38 Salaries"

    Arlovski Earns $1.5 Million for Affliction Loss


    Andrei Arlovski. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

    The California State Athletic Commission has released the official list of fighter salaries stemming from Affliction’s “Day of Reckoning” show, which took place on January 24 at the Honda Center in Anaheim.

    In the show’s main event, Fedor Emelianenko scored a first-round knockout of former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski to retain his WAMMA heavyweight title. Josh Barnett and Vitor Belfort were victorious on the card as well.

    Remember that this is only the base salary that a fighter received. Bonuses, deductions, and other undisclosed fees are not included.

    Continue reading "Arlovski Earns $1.5 Million for Affliction Loss"

    Page 3 of 18 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›