Today the Nevada State Athletic Commission voted unanimously to reinstate Alistair Overeem’s license. The approval opens the door for Overeem’s scheduled bout with Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva at UFC 156.
According to MMA Fighting, Overeem provided the NSAC with five self-administered tests between June and December that were all clean. Along with those, he faced tests on November 16 and December 21, both of which he passed.
Nate Marquardt defends his Strikeforce welterweight title January 12 against Tarec Saffiedine at Strikeforce’s final event. If victorious, Marquardt told Ariel Helwani he’s open to a unification bout with Georges St. Pierre. Marquardt and St. Pierre have been training together since Marquardt’s first UFC stint. [MMA Fighting]
All of the participants for the UFC 154: St. Pierre vs. Condit card successfully made weight in preparation for their bouts Saturday at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec.
The event will be headlined by a UFC welterweight title unification bout featuring current champion Georges St. Pierre and interim champion Carlos Condit. The co-main event will feature a number one contender bout between Martin Kampmann and Johny Hendricks.
The offical weights can be found after the jump.
UFC heavyweight contender Alistair Overeem has formally filed for a license to fight in the state of Nevada and will be forced to meet with the Nevada State Athletic Commission in order to do so following his positive test for elevated levels of testosterone
NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer sent out a release to the media earlier today.
Overeem's positive test was revealed last week, putting his scheduled clash with UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos at UFC 146 on Memorial Day Weekend in severe jeopardy.
So what's next for Alistair Overeem?
According to Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer, the UFC heavyweight contender does have some time to make a decision, but has some pretty limited options. From a radio interview with MMA Weekly:
“He’s got some time,” Kizer said about how long Overeem has to request a second test be done. “As I understand it, if an ‘A’ sample comes back positive, the lab keeps that for quite a long time. If it comes back negative, they basically toss it after a couple of weeks assuming there is no further request for the ‘B’ sample. So they’d have the ‘B’ sample for quite a while, but I would assume if he’s going to request a ‘B’ sample testing, he should do it sometime this month.”
Overeem will have the option of having his alternate sample tested through Quest Diagnostics, the company that the NSAC employs or another accredited lab elsewhere in the country. Using Quest will take about a week for the results while a different lab will take a couple.
If the other sample tests positive as well, Overeem will likely be denied a license by the state of Nevada and will not be permitted to reapply for at least a year. The only positive from the entire situation is that Overeem will not be disciplined, at least by the athletic commission. And his chances of the "B" sample coming back negative are slim according to NSAC history.
“They always come back positive, except for one case we had a fighter, I think he was positive for six different, the lab found six specific prohibitive substances in his sample, the ‘B’ sample was tested and it did come back negative for one of those drugs, which myself and the attorney generals, we immediately dropped that from the complaint, dropped that one prohibitive substance,” Kizer explained.
“We weren’t even asked to do so, we did it on our own accord, the tie goes to the runner as I said back then, and I still say, but we still proceed with the others and he ended up getting a 12-month suspension and a big fine. Not with us (has a fighter’s test ever come back at a legal level). It may have happened with other drug testing groups, WADA or USADA (United States Anti-Doping Agency) may have had it, or other groups, but not with us.”
Like Dana White said last night, it's not looking good.
Within yesterday's earth-shattering announcement regarding Alistair Overeem's positive test for elevated levels of testosterone was Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer's statement that Overeem tested higher than a 10-1 ratio.
We now know how high that is. Per MMA Fighting:
UFC No. 1 heavyweight contender Alistair Overeem produced a testosterone-to-epitestosterone ratio of 14:1 in his failed urine test, Nevada state athletic commission executive director Keith Kizer told MMA Fighting on Thursday, shortly after he learned of the final result.
The average male produces a T/E ratio around 1:1. The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) uses a 4:1 standard for positive tests, and NSAC uses 6:1 as its cutoff, a number used by WADA up until 2006.
In comparison, Chael Sonnen tested at a 16.9:1 ratio following his memorable loss to UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva at UFC 117 in August 2010.
UFC heavyweight contender Alistair Overeem has tested positive for elevated levels of testosterone and his upcoming heavyweight title fight against reigning UFC champion Junior dos Santos now appears to be in jeopardy.
Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer emailed the news to the media today. The testing was part of a random series conducted on certain fighters prior to UFC 146, which is slated for the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
Test results came back clean for all fighters with the exception of Overeem, whose T/E level (testosterone to epitestosterone) came back at a 10-1 level. The maximum allowable limit in the state of Nevada is 6-1.
Nevada State Athletic Commissoner Pat Lundvall has finally spoken out about her controversial exchange with former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal prior to the NSAC reducing his suspension to nine months and his following release from the Zuffa banner.
While Lundvall says that she is sorry that Lawal took offense to her line of questioning, she strongly believes that it is an effective method of determining whether or not applicants are fully aware of the paperwork they are signing.
"I've employed it in the past, I will employ it in the future because I think it's a necessary foundational line of inquiry," she told MMAjunkie.com.
Lundvall said the line of questioning was designed to establish that Lawal understood and was therefore responsible for the information contained on the form, chiefly because he admitted to treating an injury before the fight. Yet that information wasn't disclosed on the questionnaire. Lawal disclosed a previous knee surgery but not the supplements and medication he took in the weeks leading up to the fight, a fact he admitted prior to the hearing.
More at MMA Junkie.
Does the name Ross Goodman ring a bell? He was behind the short-lived resurrection of the WFA back in '06. He's also Nick Diaz's attorney heading into his hearing with the Nevada State Athletic Commission next month.
Goodman also believes that his client has a case:
Sherdog.com: Whether or not carboxylic acid is a banned substance per the letter of the regulations, isn’t it still a trace element of marijuana and proof of use?
Goodman: Of course, it’s directly related from marijuana use, but the point is this: it’s not only Nevada, the World Anti-Doping Agency and most other regulatory bodies only prohibit the active ingredient of marijuana in-competition and not out-of-competition. So that’s an important distinction that I think everybody has to make, and, again, Nick Diaz didn’t test for marijuana, only marijuana metabolite and marijuana metabolite itself, it’s not prohibited, both in Nevada and by the world Anti-Doping Agency, which is the international organization that monitors and regulates sports competitions. Nick Diaz did not violate any rule by having an inactive metabolite in his post-fight urine test.
The Nevada State Athletic Commission has temporarily suspended UFC welterweight Nick Diaz for his positive test for marijuana following his unanimous decision defeat to Carlos Condit at UFC 143 on February 4.
Commission officials met today to levy a temporary ban on Diaz until after a disciplinary hearing this spring, most likely in April, at which then the NSAC will decide whether or not Diaz will face a one-year suspension for a second offense. Diaz also tested positive for marijuana following his upset of Takanori Gomi in February 2007. The fight was later ruled a no-contest and Diaz was fined and suspended for six months.
Diaz is currently registered as a medicinal marijuana user in the state of California. It is unknown whether or not that status could come into play at the disciplinary hearing nor whether or not the NSAC would be willing to grant him a future exemption because of it.
At the moment, Diaz's future in fighting is in limbo regardless of the commission's decision. The 28-year-old announced that he was finished with the sport moments after the decision on his fight with Condit was announced and members of his camp have said that they aren't sure whether or not Diaz will change his mind.
Strikeforce women's featherweight champion and top female pound-for-pound fighter Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos has tested positive for the anabolic steroid stanozolol and has been fined and suspended for one year according to the California State Athletic Commission.
The CSAC released a press release earlier today regarding the matter. Santos' positive test comes just weeks after she picked up her 11th straight win, a 16-second TKO of Hiroko Yamanaka at Strikeforce's latest event last month. That result has now been changed to a no-contest.
“Our primary concern is for the health and safety of fighters,” CSAC Executive Officer George Dodd stated in the release. “Anabolic agents and other banned substances put not only the users of those agents at risk, but their opponents as well. The commission simply will not tolerate their use.”