Kevin Iole of Yahoo! Sports is reporting that the winner of this weekend’s bout between former UFC Heavyweight Champion Tim Sylvia and Brandon Vera at this weekend’s UFC 77: Hostile Territory will take on Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira for the vacant UFC Heavyweight Title at some point next year:
The winner of the Brandon Vera-Tim Sylvia fight on Saturday at UFC 77 in Cincinnati will meet Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira for the vacant heavyweight title sometime early next year.
This is pretty much the scenario that I was expecting. I’m also speculating, like many others, that the fight will probably take place at the UFC’s annual Super Bowl weekend event.
I know we haven’t posted it but a lot of other sites have. Here’s a promo for UFC WiRED, a new show hosted by UFC color commentator Joe Rogan that debuts this weekend.
News and Notes
- Adam Smith, who competed on last weekend’s Strikeforce at the Mansion card against K-1 veteran Dewey Cooper, has tested positive for cocaine and marijuana according to the California State Athletic Commission. Smith will be suspended until June 25th of next year and fined $1,500.
- Anyone watch Dog The Bounty Hunter? Dog’s son Leland will be making his MMA debut on October 20th at No Limits Fighting’s Brawl for it All event.
- UFC vice president Marc Ratner told Kevin Iole of Yahoo! Sports yesterday that Anthony Torres tested positive for the anabolic steroid Boldenone through the post-fight tests done after UFC 75. Torres is the first fighter to test positive under the UFC’s testing done when events are held outside of the United States. Torres was released from his contract by the UFC, not because of the positive test, but because of a poor performance against his opponent at UFC 75, Jess Liaudin.
All of the other fighters tested at UFC 75 - Quinton Jackson, Dan Henderson, Dennis Siver, Michael Bisping, Terry Etim, Houston Alexander and Gleison Tibau all passed. All of the fighters who competed at UFC 76 passed their tests for performance enhancing drugs as well.
- Keith Jardine has told MMA Weekly that he plans on returning to the Octagon in January:
“I’m thinking January, the early part of the year would be a good time,” said Jardine about the ideal time for his next fight.
- SUN Sports & Entertainment has announced the complete fight card for Art of War 4: Mississippi Mayhem, scheduled to take place on October 27th:
Ron Faircloth vs Chris Hawk
Rex Richards vs Shane Carwin
Mike Wessel vs Matt Thomas
Andrew Chappelle vs Adriano Nasal
DJ Watkins vs Kyle Gibbons
David Hulett vs David Brown
Keith Bach vs Mark Wiggins
Andy Uhrich vs Chris Gates
- Sam Caplan is reporting through Dave Meltzer that Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Cheick Kongo may not be fighting at UFC 79 after all:
According to Dave Meltzer in his latest FoxSports.com column, a rumored match between Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Cheick Kongo may not take place at UFC 79 on Dec. 29 as had been previously reported. It now appears that Nogueira vs. Kongo could take place in either January or February.
- Zach Arnold is reporting that the PRIDE FC Worldwide office in Tokyo has been shut down and all of the workers have been fired.
The Fight Network is reporting that UFC heavyweight contender Cheick Kongo and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira will lock horns Saturday, Dec. 29 at UFC 79 in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Former PRIDE heavyweight champion, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, made his UFC debut against Heath Herring in July at UFC 73: Stacked. Herring almost spoiled Nogueira’s debut in the first when he caught him with a head kick but Nogueira showed his versatility fighting through it to eventually secure a unanimous decision victory.
Cheick Kongo (11-3-1) sports a UFC record of 4-1. Kongo holds UFC victories over Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic, Assuerio Silva, Christian Wellisch, and Gilbert Aldana.
The winner of this fight will likely be in line for a shot at UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture’s title.
Forrest Griffin discusses his recent win over Mauricio “Shogun” Rua at the UFC 76 post-fight press conference.
News and Notes
- Forrest Griffin knows that Wanderlei Silva apparently wants to fight him. However Griffin isn’t sure if he would be medically cleared for UFC 79 in December:
“It kind of would, yeah,” said Griffin about a December date with Silva being too soon. “I’d love to fight him if I didn’t have a giant hole in my face right now. We were in the hotel lobby and I was doing an interview with someone and they’re like ‘Wanderlei just said he wants to fight you’ and I was like ‘Right now, really, right now? He wants to fight me? I know he’s a Chute Boxe guy, but right now?’ And they were like no, no, no … in December.”
“We’ll see medically,” Griffin stated about the December card. “[It’ll] take a couple of weeks to figure it out.”
The cut that Griffin sustained was pretty severe and I’m going to assume that the CSAC will medically suspend him for at least a month without contact. However UFC 79 isn’t until December 29th, which would still give Griffin a good two months to be able to train for the fight. I guess we’ll see what happens…
- Looking for an update on Dan Henderson? The Fight Network has one.
Apparently Henderson only has one fight left on his current contract with the UFC. He has also stated that he would be ready to fight by November but that he would like to stay at light heavyweight, despite the UFC’s efforts to attempt to get Henderson to move down to his natural weight of 185.
- Cage Rage has released part of the upcoming card for Cage Rage 24: Feel The Pain:
Evangelista Santos vs Paul Cahoon
Mark Epstein vs Tom Watson
Ross Pointon vs Marios Zaromskis
Brad Pickett vs Ronnie Mann
Abdul Mohammed vs Robbie Oliver
James McSweeney vs Robert Paczkow
Neil Grove vs Robert Berry
- Matt Hamill has set the story straight concerning his recent knee surgery and stated that he would like to rematch Michael Bisping in December on his official sitehttp://www.matthamill.com/.
- Entertaining PRIDE veteran Akihiro Gono announced at his own press conference yesterday that he has signed with the UFC and will be fighting welterweight Tamden McCrory at UFC 78 in November:
“I know his fight record,” Gono said of the 20-year-old McCrory. “I know that he’s tall, young and has a long reach.”
- The California State Athletic Commission has released the official attendance and gate for UFC 76:
The UFC 76 “Knockout” event on September 22nd in Anaheim, California had an official attendance of 13,770 - with 1,953 of those seats as comps (tickets given away for free to media, friends, celebrities, etc.) for a gate of $1,984,880.
- MMA Weekly has released their latest set of rankings.
Fightlinker: I loves me some Mac Danzig
Sherdog: Old-School Event Sparks Backlash in Brazil
Fight Opinion: Wednesday war room: Where’s my PRIDE?
Five Ounces of Pain: ShoXC to return on Oct. 26 featuring Javi Vazquez, Aaron Rosa, and Muhsin Corbbrey
MMA Analyst: Is the PRIDE vs. UFC debate over?
MMA HQ: “Minotauro” Nogueria vs Cheick Kongo at UFC 79?
News and Notes
- Our rumors section has been updated.
- Be sure to check out our latest MMA on Tap Top 10...
- Stay with us throughout the day and night for complete coverage of UFC Fight Night 11 which will feature our famed Tap Selections, a live blog and much more.
- MMA Junkie is reporting via Tagg Radio that former UFC Heavyweight Champion Frank Mir will be taking on former PRIDE Heavyweight Title holder Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira in his next fight. No official date for the fight was said.
MMA Junkie also spoke to Frank Mir’s manager, Dean Albrecht, who stated that a Mir-Nogueira bout is not official and that he and his client would like to face Kongo before Nogueira at this point:
“No official announcement,” he wrote to us. “We are hoping for Kongo first. He called out Mir. I think he deserves it.“
- Sam Caplan went public with some EliteXC news yesterday. Apparently Gary Shaw and company have no interest in signing Renato “Babalu” Sobral at this time and David Loiseau may be making a return early next year:
FiveOuncesOfPain.com has learned through EliteXC Live Events President Gary Shaw that the fight promotion has no immediate interest in former UFC fighter Renato “Babalu” Sobral. Shaw said in no way does he condone what Sobral did at UFC 74 and labeled the act as “egregious.” However, he would not rule out the possibility of having interest in Sobral’s services in the future.
I’ve also had several people ask me in recent weeks about the status of David Loiseau. Loiseau, if you recall, fought on EliteXC’s debut card in February and has not been used by the promotion since. There was some speculation that he had been released but Shaw confirmed to FiveOuncesOfPain.com that the promotion does in fact have plans for Loiseau and there’s a chance he could be appearing in December in England on a Cage Rage card.
- The Nevada State Athletic Commission has announced that a meeting scheduled for next month will review amending these possible regulations and more:
• Weight loss for a competitor 147 pounds or less changed from two pounds to no more than one at the time of weigh-in
• Weight loss for a competitor over 147 pounds changed from three to no more than two pounds at the time of weigh-in
• Weight loss completion from two hours to one hour after the initial weigh-in
• If a referee halts a bout under the basis that both athletes are in a condition that might subject them to harm, the decision will become a technical draw (currently ruled a no contest)
• The addition of all drugs identified on the World Anti-Doping Agency’s Prohibited List to the NSAC’s prohibited substance list
News and Notes
- We’ve decided to hold off a new MMA on Tap Top 10 until after the events in September.
- Fabricio Werdum has told MMA Weekly that he has joined the Chute Boxe team and has already began training with his new camp:
Werdum stated, “I am very happy with my new training partners and I hope I can get the Chute Boxe spirit and improve my stand up skills. When I first step here, I could see that my training speed wasn’t right. The training here is so much harder, but I am adapting myself and all the coaches and athletes are being like brothers.”
- Former UFC Middleweight Champion Murilo Bustamante has announced that he is reforming the Brazilian Top Team after the depature of the Nogueira brothers and Mario Sperry.
- MMA Weekly is also reporting via sources at BodogFight that the promotion plans to announce a new TV deal when their current contract with ION runs out in February of next year:
Sources at Bodog plan to announce a new U.S. television distribution deal once their current run on ION has ended, although no details were forthcoming at the time of publication.
- The California State Athletic Commission has announced that it will hear the appeal of UFC Lightweight Champion Sean Sherk’s positive test for steroids on October 31st in Los Angeles.
- Staying on the subject of athletic commissions, the Nevada State Athletic Commission has filed a formal complaint against Renato Sobral for his actions at UFC 74. Sobral will be required to meet with the NSAC at a later date to find out whether he may possibly be suspended or fined. $25,000 of his purse is still being withheld.
- Yahoo! Sports has posted their updated MMA Top 10...
- Former UFC Heavyweight Champion Tim Sylvia has landed at Xtreme Couture for a two day training session in preparation for his bout against Brandon Vera at UFC 77.
Sherdog: Koubousen Companion: News and Notes from Japan; Travis Wiuff Ready for “Last Shot” in IFO
411 Mania: Your MMA News, My Views 8.31.07
Choke Him Out: Top 10 Nastiest Mixed Martial Arts Cuts
Bloody Elbow: The Muscle Shark IS Innocent, Right?
MMA HQ: Josh Barnett Still in UFC’s Future?
Sprawl N’ Brawl: UFC 75: Kongo v. Cro Cop
Fight Opinion: Five things I learned from the UFC 75 conference call
Fightlinker: This is why I hate Japan
UFC President Dana White hosted a conference call earlier today in preparation for the upcoming UFC 75: Champion vs Champion event set to take place on September 8th from London, England. The fighters featured on the call were UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Quinton Jackson, PRIDE Middleweight and Welterweight Champion Dan Henderson, Michael Bisping, and Matt Hamill through the use of an interpreter.
The California State Athletic Commission has released the list of fighter suspensions stemming from the results of UFC 73:
Nate Marquardt - Medically suspended for 60 days with no contact due to TKO and lacerations around both eyes. Can be cleared to return earlier after being examined by a doctor.
Tito Ortiz - Medically suspended for 60 days with no contact due to right eye damage and lower back pain. Can be cleared to return earlier after being examined by a doctor.
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira - Medically suspended for 45 days with no contact permitted.
Heath Herring - Medically suspended for 60 days with no contact due to left cheek damage and lacerations around the eye and nose. Can be cleared to return earlier after being examined by a doctor.
Jorge Gurgel - Medically suspended indefinitely with no contact due to facial fracture.
Frankie Edgar - Medically suspended for 180 days with no contact due to nose fracture.
Jason Gilliam - Medically suspended for 180 days with no contact due to radial collateral ligament damage.
Mark Bocek - Medically suspended for 60 days with no contact due to TKO and facial laceration. Can be cleared to return earlier after being examined by a doctor.
Alvin Robinson - Medically suspended for 45 days with no contact due to TKO.
The trend of future UFC matchups being revealed is continuing this week and UFC President Dana White is a big part of it.
White announced a trio of possible future matchups at the post-fight press conference for UFC 73:
- Anderson Silva will meet Rich Franklin for the second time in a UFC Middleweight Championship bout on October 20th in Franklin’s hometown of Cincinnati, Ohio. It was announced that Franklin would face the winner of last night’s bout between Silva and Nate Marquardt after UFC 72 and White confirmed the situation last night.
- White also announced that BJ Penn has decided to stay in the lightweight division and will challenge Sean Sherk for his UFC Lightweight Title in November.
- Mirko Cro Cop will take on Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira later this year provided that he is victorious over Cheick Kongo at UFC 75 according to White.
White also stated that Chuck Liddell will most likely fight again in September during an interview yesterday on the Scott Ferrall Show:
“Chuck is probably going to fight again in September,” White said yesterday on the radio program. “We’re working on a big fight for him. We don’t have it done yet, but Chuck is chomping at the bit to jump back in there and fight again.“
This contradicts previous reports that had White saying that Liddell now wouldn’t be able to fight again until November.
White made clear about yet another possible matchup during an interview with The Gainesville Sun that would take place at UFC 76: Maurico Rua would make his UFC debut against Ryoto Machida.
Rua, a 205-pound Muay Thai specialist, is scheduled to start at UFC 76 on Sept. 22. White said Rua’s most likely first opponent will be Ryoto Machida (10-0), though Forrest Griffin said he would like the fight.
Screens from ESPN’s recap of UFC 73
In order to remain a champion, one has to beat the best the opposition has to offer. Both Anderson Silva and Sean Sherk did just that on Saturday night, winning their fights in convincing fashion. With their respective roads now temporarily cleared, both fighters seem like they may stay on top for quite a while: a trend that we haven’t seen recently, at least in this upset-filled year.
UFC 73 turned out to certainly be ‘Stacked’ with action-packed fights from beginning to end. While the show’s production moved a bit faster than usual because of time constraints, each fight on the card equaled the pace. The majority of those in attendance at the ARCO Arena in Sacramento, California might not have agreed according to their unusual reactions throughout the night, but the event definitely lived up to the hype.
Anderson Silva successfully defended his UFC Middleweight Title with a first round TKO victory over Nate Marquardt. The fight was back and forth until Silva (19-4) connected with a straight left hand that dropped Marquardt (25-7-2) to the mat. Silva then got on top of Marquardt and rained down unanswered right hands until referee John McCarthy stepped in to halt the bout.
Marquardt stayed down on the mat for a few moments afterwards, obviously shaken up. Silva thanked all of his trainers and coaches during a post-fight interview with Joe Rogan. He also continued his growing love affair with American fans with praise and thanks as well.
“I love fighting for these fans,” Silva said. “I enjoy fighting in front of these fans fight after fight. They are always gracious.” Silva will now most likely go on to rematch former champion Rich Franklin this fall.
Sean Sherk won yet another five round unanimous decision and was able to keep his UFC Lightweight Title after defeating top contender Hermes Franca. Sherk (32-2-1) was able to control Franca (18-6) throughout the course of the fight, pressing the action and not letting Franca get up from the ground.
Franca landed multiple big knees to the chin of Sherk but was unable to generate any more offense than that. After the fight, Sherk stated that he was very impressed with Franca’s skills on the ground and his defense as well.
“Hermes was great on the ground. Definitely an awesome Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu guy.” said Sherk. “He did a good job of keeping his face from getting hit and kept me close the entire fight.”